The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I´m going crazy
Old 21st April 2019
Here for the gear

I´m going crazy

I have mixed a track 80 times now, and im never satisfied with it!! I am aiming for acdc like mix quality wise.. Im getting depressed when i cant achieve the quality i want, so i need someones else opinion on my mix.

Comp by Ruben Vike Vage | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I have mixed a track 80 times now, and im never satisfied with it!! I am aiming for acdc like mix quality wise.. Im getting depressed when i cant achieve the quality i want, so i need someones else opinion on my mix.
Comp by Ruben Vike Vage | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I´ve mixed for many hours now, so i think i have lost the ability to judge now. I have used all your tips, but i dont know if it sound any better, it just sounds different thats all i know. I have tamed the highs a little bit, changed drum kit, and compressed the guitars, maybe a little to much compression. You guys are the judges, here is the link:

Socal6 by Ruben Vike Vage | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Thank you all for replies! Im going to expriment with the drums. But i only got the inbuilt drummer in logic, its not the best drum plugin maybe? I have not that much experience in mixing, so idk

I found that the socal kit in logic fits the best, but still it sound weird, its like the drums is on the top of the mix, it doesent blend well if you understand..
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear
Could use some compression on the guitars, but with no vocal it's hard to tell how much.

Also, when you add the vocal may need to cut some high-mid frequencies so the vocal can "speak"...

And AC/DC has a much smoother bass sound, I'd compress that more and take some of the higher frequencies out.

And a less pitched snare. Use something fat and low.

And a tighter, smaller reverb on the whole track.

Good luck, I salute you.
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Nut

I personally find the snare sound to be out of place. Try a different snare. To me the whole drums sound like programmed sampled VST drums. I would start at the drums. Dirty them up a bit. Everything else sounded alright to me.
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Guru

I'd agree with trying to replace the snare. the less of a transient you have on the snare combined with some low frequency energy, the more the other instruments will determine the groove. you might find new problems with the feel of the kick when you do but you should start to hear that it's the drum beat which is out of kilter with the other parts. ultimately it's best to have the drums played again with the existing material, as those seem ok.
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Guru

try the socal kits snare in Logic. in fact Logic has some great drum kits. you might also need to pull the snare early imo. in which case it needs to be converted into a midi track. and you need to put the snare note on its own track and then start nudging it early. etc. at least that's what I'd do first. you should start looking at learning how to get the most out of those logic drummers. I don't use it currently but i'm going to use some of those snares in something else.
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Guru

a lot of the problem will be because you played all the other parts but not the drum parts. or they became dislocated in some way. you may have changed the beat or changed the kit and the beat as you went along. you also sound like you have the guitar parts swinging, and swing is often a groove that your software won't always interpret. and that all depends how your guitars are already in line with the metronome grid in the first instance.
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear
Its hard enough to play real drums to completed bass and guitars. I recommend following Muser's advice with the addition of just doing one section at a time until it's right before moving on to the next. A drummer is going to have to do several punches on something like that anyway so dont feel too bad. Just take it slow.
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Head

AC/ DC were a phenomenally successful band made up of talented and hardworking musicians who were trying as hard as they could and the results were recorded by hardworking professional successful audio engineers in a dedicated purpose built space and this was then engineered and mixed in a professional environment by a hardworking professional mix engineer using high-spec broadcast quality equipment, then mastered by a professional mastering engineer

Welcome to hell. Never give up and you might eventually get there; failing everything your music will begin to sound 'better'

Last edited by Jack101; 22nd April 2019 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: deleted that dumb smiling face emoji
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

You're on the right track. You need to remember to take breaks and give your ears a rest from time to time.. If you don't have a comfortable amount of experience mixing, no amount of 'trying until your ears are shot' will immediately provide the results you seek.

Take a break.
Eat a sandwich..
go take a piss... whatever.
You will quickly find yourself working backwards if you try to continue mixing after tiring your ears out. Gotta take care of them, as they are obviously of immense importance.
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rub1v View Post
I´ve mixed for many hours now, so i think i have lost the ability to judge now. I have used all your tips, but i dont know if it sound any better, it just sounds different thats all i know. I have tamed the highs a little bit, changed drum kit, and compressed the guitars, maybe a little to much compression. You guys are the judges, here is the link:

Socal6 by Ruben Vike Vage | Free Listening on SoundCloud
It sounds more like AC/DC than it did.

Try cutting a little low midrange from the bass guitar to make it smoother, I think it will sit better in the mix.
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rub1v View Post
I listened to both mixes. I like this mix very much. Better balance of the high mids (too bright before) and the snare sounds good - heavier - than before. Disclaimer: I know little about the genre. But I know what I like.
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Guru

it's sounds much better already. some variables in the snare velocities would be my next port of call. and bounce it down so you can reference it later. for if you do something which you think makes it worse or get tired. take breaks as pointed out. also work on other things too.
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Nut

A lot of it has to do with the tone quality of the drums, you can't change the sound of the drums that much in the mix with just eq-compression alone. I'm not saying change the drums (unless you want to) but you could do some preproduction stuff to the drum mix like adding parallel distortion, messing with tuning, etc. deciding a different balance (like less snare more room). Or adding samples....

Specifically, the kick drum doesn't fit that well with the bass in the sense that it's kinda too big and thumpy for this song. I feel like if you got the kick and bass to be tonally locked in more a lot of elements in the track would suddenly 'glue' for you.

Old 25th April 2019
Gear Head

I found on youtube some songs of ac/dc and compare quick and here is what i found:
1)Your snare has too much reverb. On ac/dc drums reverb is more natural only with room reverb. not plate or something. Cymbals are too picky or i don't know but on ac/dc albums cymbals sound pleasant to ear and whole drum kit is different(more vintage and real sounding)
2)Your solo guitar has too much reverb.
3)Your bass guitar is too unnatural.

P.S overall you have just another sound.
If you want to sound like them, first what you can do is to record cover of there song and compare all elementsin mix try to get same sound. Good luck!
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by creedchub View Post
3)Your bass guitar is too unnatural.
Yes, it sounds like a programmed sample. (which I love for some things, but not classic rock) You're a good guitar player, get a real bass and play it in, it will sound a lot better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search