The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Melodies from Soundtrack/Movies/Songs that work for creating guitar drones/loop...ing
Old 31st March 2019
Melodies from Soundtrack/Movies/Songs that work for creating guitar drones/loop...ing

Looking for ideas on short pleasant melodies from soundtracks/songs to work up drones and and loops on guitar. Maybe a minute or two long each.

For examples I linked two songs with beginning melodies that I enjoy and that lend themselves to the task.

Stings Ghost Story guitar melody part goes over a drone well...

You can loop the octave piano part from Blue Thunder intro and play the melody over it.

Any ideas you have are welcome!!!
Thanks,
eric
Old 5th April 2019
_._
Here for the gear

I like drones, too.

You didn’t give any information on technical aspects such as: key, measure and tempo.

Also, could you approximate what kind of emotion are those melodies meant to convey?
Old 13th April 2019
hey there...I find I can move the key around so that might not be an issue. I was just interested to find anybody else working along these lines.

I'd love to hear or talk about various moods actually...

I find there can be portions of soundtracks or songs that work for what I'm thinking of. I listened to Unbreakable/The Village by M Night recently and look forward to trying those out soon.

Please leave any videos or ideas as I'd love to hear them!

Last edited by congalocke; 13th April 2019 at 11:24 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
_._
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by congalocke View Post
hey there...I find I can move the key around so that might not be an issue. I was just interested to find anybody else working along these lines.

I'd love to hear or talk about various moods actually...

I find there can be portions of soundtracks or songs that work for what I'm thinking of. I listened to Unbreakable/The Village by M Night recently and look forward to trying those out soon.

Please leave any videos or ideas as I'd love to hear them!
I'm sorry for such a late reply.

There are no strict rules to writing melodies over drones.
What can perhaps help you is listening to the drone itself very carefully. After [quite] some time you will hear individual overtones the drone is composed of. Then you just get in the mood you want the melody to be in, and improvise it, while letting the overtones "guide" you. That is probably one of the most organic ways of doing it.

Some of my favourite drone-based music:
Jóhann Jóhannsson - Desert Music (from "Sicario"), Heptapod B (from "Arrival"), Terra Firma (from "The Mercy")
Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross - A Reflection (from "Gone Girl")

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search