The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Orchestral Recording - Mixing Brazilian music with a twist
Old 28th March 2019
Here for the gear

Orchestral Recording - Mixing Brazilian music with a twist

Hi! I really need some help with this piece. It's a very dense piece with a lot of elements that we don't normally hear together. It's a part Baião part Mambo orchestral music with a really lively rythm session. I'd love to hear what you guys think

We had a few of the musicians from the Orquestra Imolara record one of my arrangements for a small promotional music video. I had a lot of fun orchestrating and recording, but mixing has been... challenging.

Strings - a simple quintet. The same players recorded the same parts 3 times.
Woodwinds - Basson, Clarinet, Oboe, 2 Flutes
Brass - 2 Trumpets, 2 Trombones, 2 Horns
Nylon Acoustic Guitar
Piano
Upright Bass
Drum kit
Latin Percussions (Cáscara, Ganzá, Pandeiro, Triangle, Reco Reco, Bongô, Cowbell, etc.)

To my ears it sounds a little muddy, and cold. Now, as it was all recorded in cheap gear I think sounding cold is to be expected, but I'd love to hear about possible solutions. As for the muddiness, I usually cut a little around 150~400 and maybe boost some HM and high frequencies a little, but when I do that I end up with this harsh sounding strings. Any sugestions?

By the way, any critique is much appreciated. I'm really struggling to get this done.
Attached Files

Que Nem Jiló Mix.mp3 (8.86 MB, 93 views)

Old 2nd April 2019
Here for the gear

Well, I finished the mix and here's the mastered version if anyone is interested in hearing. I'm quite pleased with it but I'm not exactly in the best mixing environment so it'd be nice to hear what you guys think.

Cheers
Attached Files

Que Nem Jiló Finalizada.mp3 (8.86 MB, 55 views)

Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Head

Its maybe balanced good, but this mix is good for 50s,60s.. Its not sound modern.
Old 3rd April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedchub View Post
Its maybe balanced good, but this mix is good for 50s,60s.. Its not sound modern.
I hear you. How can I change that? I have another piece like this one to mix so it'd be good not to make the same mistakes...

Would also appreciate some reference materials. Do you have any good albums to recommend?
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Guru

I would have thought it would be a kind of mastering job situation. maybe you could those folk in that forum. I don't have much experience with this type of music. off the top of my head I would hazard that maybe a spectrasonics type compressor and a Baxandal type EQ might be appropriate. they may even go for some mid side processing if they want to push it around and not destroy the music.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Not an easy job on your hands here. Can you eliminate the kit? That would allow you to place more emphasis on the horn/string interplay.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search