The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why is my vocal recording awful? (logic pro) Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd March 2019
Gear Nut

Why is my vocal recording awful? (logic pro)

When I mix the vocal recording it gets worse. Why is that? Its decent when pure but when I do deesser and Rchannel etc I hear the background noises more and the overall quality decreases.

I have an old model m-audio fast track and a N1000 Rode and imac. im using an alctron pf8 on the mic for noise reduction

Its unbearable, really. Im losing my love for music production because vocals just do not sound right. I'm wondering maybe its because my settings are wrong. Is there a right way to do this?
Old 22nd March 2019
Lives for gear

Shouldn't you upload a recording sample (or maybe a couple, for A/B'ing purposes)? It's awful hard to know what you're talking about without examples.
Old 22nd March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheguevara93 View Post
When I mix the vocal recording it gets worse. Why is that? Its decent when pure but when I do deesser and Rchannel etc I hear the background noises more and the overall quality decreases.

I have an old model m-audio fast track and a N1000 Rode and imac. im using an alctron pf8 on the mic for noise reduction

Its unbearable, really. Im losing my love for music production because vocals just do not sound right. I'm wondering maybe its because my settings are wrong. Is there a right way to do this?
What ever you are doing is wrong. If a de-esser or any other effect is making it worse, stop using it. There are no rules saying every vocal needs a de-esser. so if its making it sound worse, maybe its not needed.

Only use what makes it sound better, not worse. If you want someone to tell you what to do, that is impossible under these circumstances, and its all about personnel preferences , the sound you want and the other tracks in the mix.

What you should do is to review your tools and learn what each setting does on every effect you won and then use your ears to dial in the sound you want.
When you know your tools inside and out, you can dial in any sound you want.
Old 22nd March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinzy View Post
Shouldn't you upload a recording sample (or maybe a couple, for A/B'ing purposes)? It's awful hard to know what you're talking about without examples.
I'm attaching one voice where Its not edited and one edited. they both suck!
Attached Files

edited.mp3 (365.7 KB, 249 views)

why tho.mp3 (365.7 KB, 275 views)

Old 22nd March 2019
Quote:
I'm attaching one voice where Its not edited and one edited. they both suck!
You just need to learn how to mix better. Its an art, just like playing a guitar. Practice and study and study and practice and you will get there. It can take years. It depends on you and you alone.
Old 22nd March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
You just need to learn how to mix better. Its an art, just like playing a guitar. Practice and study and study and practice and you will get there. It can take years. It depends on you and you alone.
I just copied some "top" mixers' tutorials on Youtube!
Old 22nd March 2019
Quote:
I just copied some "top" mixers' tutorials on Youtube!
That is the problem. Do no copy what others do. they do not have your voice and they do not have the same instrument tracks in your song and they do not have the same personnel preferences as you.

Learn what each effect does and what each setting on the effect does. Then train your ears to your room.c then you can mix and dial in the sounds you want.

Its not going to be an overnight thing or even a month thing. It will take some time, but this is the way to do it.

When i started painting, i did not expect to paint like a professional. I knew it was going to take years to learn that art. The same goes for mixing.
Old 22nd March 2019
Gear Addict

I listened. The problem is at the source, primarily in your vocal technique and recording environment. Aside from properly addressing and modulating your mouth's position to the microphone, using a pop filter, and deadening your recording space, rolling off some lower frequencies on the recorded track will help somewhat. It's not so bad in any event; definitely something you can work with. Add some reverb and the little annoyances will become less apparent as well.
Old 22nd March 2019
Gear Maniac
What's the room like? If you clap is there a lot of echo? To my ears the room sounds really ringy.
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Head

Hello,
alctron pf8 is a good for recording, but it doesn't reduce your room echo or sound of your computer, so only solution is - sound proof room, to get good quality recording. I tried to eliminate noise problem and after i even added some compression, so listen to it and i hope it will sound as you wanted. I did it with noise gating, so i didn't use noise reduction plugin.
Attached Files

Vocal recording N.mp3 (764.3 KB, 136 views)

Old 24th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky Waters View Post
I listened. The problem is at the source, primarily in your vocal technique and recording environment. Aside from properly addressing and modulating your mouth's position to the microphone, using a pop filter, and deadening your recording space, rolling off some lower frequencies on the recorded track will help somewhat. It's not so bad in any event; definitely something you can work with. Add some reverb and the little annoyances will become less apparent as well.
thank you for your reply. what do you mean by rolling off some lower frequencies? x
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedchub View Post
Hello,
alctron pf8 is a good for recording, but it doesn't reduce your room echo or sound of your computer, so only solution is - sound proof room, to get good quality recording. I tried to eliminate noise problem and after i even added some compression, so listen to it and i hope it will sound as you wanted. I did it with noise gating, so i didn't use noise reduction plugin.
sounds good! i had also added deesser and compression but didnt work. noise gate is a good idea :O
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
What's the room like? If you clap is there a lot of echo? To my ears the room sounds really ringy.
Yes! lots of echo. I actually moved my microphone to the small room in the basement and it does sound better now. In the room I usually record theres a lot of outdoor noise too, but in that small room there isnt any. I really think i need to get better at mixing... SOMETHING is not right
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Yes! lots of echo. I actually moved my microphone to the small room in the basement and it does sound better now. In the room I usually record theres a lot of outdoor noise too, but in that small room there isnt any. I really think i need to get better at mixing... SOMETHING is not right
Performer and performance apart, the most important thing when capturing a performance is the room and the mic placement, more important than equipment cost and quality, more important than mixing. No matter how good the latter is - it cannot fix issues with the former - only mask them to some degree.

Hang some old duvets or heavy blankets around the room to dampen it a bit - experiment with mic placement, when you find a good spot, stick to it!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search