The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix advice: acoustic duo
Old 22nd March 2019
Gear Head
Mix advice: acoustic duo

Howdy fellow slutz,

I recently completed building out my home studio and one of my first projects is an acoustic duo with vocals. Anything popping out on this mix? Translating well? I'll take any and all advice/comments. Thanks!

link to unmastered wav:

Dropbox - IN THE FALL MIX 3.21.wav
Old 22nd March 2019
Gear Nut

sounds very nice, maybe a tad too much in the lower mids around 300-700hz?! tell us more about the recording (mics, recording procress)...
Attached Files

inthefalllearymaster1.mp3 (8.78 MB, 192 views)

Old 23rd March 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by leary View Post
sounds very nice, maybe a tad too much in the lower mids around 300-700hz?! tell us more about the recording (mics, recording procress)...
Thanks for the upload leary!

The signal chain was:

guitar: 2xKM54 ->Forssell JMP-6 & AEA R44 -> Grace m108

mandolin: Gefell m582 ->Forssell JMP-6 & AEA R84 -> Grace m108

dobro: same signal chain as mandolin

vocals: R44 -> Grace m108

I kept it all pretty transparent, FabFilter for EQ, Seventh Heaven for verbs, UAD Shadow Hills for light buss compression on the master

We tracked the guitar and mando at the same time (no click), overdubbed vox and dobro later. Not many edits/comps, more of a one take/live kind of vibe.

Can I ask what you did to the track? Sounds fuller and more gelled to me.
Old 23rd March 2019
Gear Nut

what a wonderful mic and pre choice and a great performance!

basically all i did was cleaning up the lower mids (see screenshots), no compression, little limiting.

the more i listen to this piece the more i get the impression that a soft de-esser on voice would improve the performance. what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Mix advice: acoustic duo-dyneq.jpg   Mix advice: acoustic duo-eq.jpg  
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by leary View Post
what a wonderful mic and pre choice and a great performance!

basically all i did was cleaning up the lower mids (see screenshots), no compression, little limiting.

the more i listen to this piece the more i get the impression that a soft de-esser on voice would improve the performance. what do you think?

Wow, so all those bands were adjusted. Is that normal when you send something to master? What EQ and Limiter did you use?

Yes D-essing could help for sure.
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Nut

I used izotope ozone.

i would suggest leave the mix as it is, just put a de-esser on the voice and you are good to go. cleaning up the lower mids is easy for a mastering engineer.

Last edited by leary; 24th March 2019 at 11:11 AM..
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarua View Post
...an acoustic duo with vocals. Anything popping out on this mix? Translating well? I'll take any and all advice/comments. Thanks!

link to unmastered wav:

Dropbox - IN THE FALL MIX 3.21.wav
What a great listen. A fine performance, captured with skill.
Old 27th April 2019
Listened to the original posting .wav.

Wow, great job, excellent performance--great players. I love the vocal, mando, and dobro sounds--wouldn't change anything. The guitar is maybe a wee-bit "cloudy" but I would hand off for mastering.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search