The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hi guys, is this mix dark or muddy Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

Hi guys, is this mix dark or muddy

So I recently worked on a track... Most of my rock and metal mixes are a bit brighter, but partially its due to the instrumentation also. This is my first track I composed track where I am something different (genre wise). I am afraid to brighten it with distortion at track level, or EQ as it seems to be removing the dark eerie vibe of the song when I do that... It keeps the vibe if I do on bus, but rather leave flexibility on master....

anyways...

Would love to get you guys' feedback... I recently sent it to one of the mastering guys here, and he did a really awesome job mastering my old mix, which got me curious, about a doing a slightly less dark mix with a more natural transients to allow mastering more freedom to take things even further... I thought before doing that perhaps I'd benefit from more opinions on the mix, especially considering you guys get a lot of mixes in this genre (where as this is my first on this genre)

So long story short, would love feedback on the mix. :D

Last edited by nyandres; 19th March 2019 at 06:57 AM..
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

DAMN, Gearslutz did not accept my upload... Had to use an mp3 snippet instead...

Anyways, I updated post with the file. :D
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

To my ears things are all in generally the same ballpark except the vocal which sounds demo-ish. It sounds a little like someone cut a vocal on a 57 in a bedroom, with a digi-002, and soaked it in D-Verb, against a bed of in-the-box sounds. The complex answer is some things sound correct and some don't (to me).
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwick View Post
To my ears things are all in generally the same ballpark except the vocal which sounds demo-ish. It sounds a little like someone cut a vocal on a 57 in a bedroom, with a digi-002, and soaked it in D-Verb, against a bed of in-the-box sounds. The complex answer is some things sound correct and some don't (to me).
Im both happy and dissapointed that was noticed... I recorded the beginning of the first verse on A CHEAP USB mic (an irig we took with us)... Could not replicate the performance later in the studio :(. Like the sound got better in studio but the feeling got worse

THe second half and the rest of vocals were done in studio... But had us match the tone to something that would not sound toooo different. Anyways, thanks for the feedback... I am guessing that means its sounding decent, even if some things could be better right??
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
Im both happy and dissapointed that was noticed... I recorded the beginning of the first verse on A CHEAP USB mic (an irig we took with us)... Could not replicate the performance later in the studio :(. Like the sound got better in studio but the feeling got worse

THe second half and the rest of vocals were done in studio... But had us match the tone to something that would not sound toooo different. Anyways, thanks for the feedback... I am guessing that means its sounding decent, even if some things could be better right??
If we were working together I would tell you the track sounds unfinished and you need to keep working at it. You will have to work harder to get the vocal to sound like something I would want to listen to. As it is, the tone is very off-putting. Also the drums are unexciting to me ears. That snare drum sound that happens sounds uninteresting to me and every time I hear it sounds wrong (to me).

I'd say just keep working at it and trying new things.

PS... try changing the sound of the vocal reverb. Roll off some of the HF and see if you like that (more intimate) or, if you want it bigger, try pulling out a lot of LF and LMF for a bigger sound without blowing up the illusion of the picture you are creating. That would be just one thing of many to try.

Last edited by bushwick; 18th March 2019 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: Reverb note..
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search