The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
recording of guitars & bass - feedback please! Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 4th March 2019
Here for the gear
recording of guitars & bass - feedback please!

I am a bassist and hobbyist recordist (is that a word?) and playing with a couple of great guitar players. We are looking for a drummer but playing in the meantime. I've been experimenting recording the three of us and would love some feedback on the latest round.

I don't want to say too much other than it's recorded live, with no fixing mistakes. There was a tiny bit of editing done in one of the tracks - let me know if you can hear it!

Thank you in advance - if you take the time to listen I really appreciate it! Let me know if you want more information.

(I think I finally got the links sorted out - I had the tracks set to private - you should be able to listen now)

Last edited by hieronymous7; 4th March 2019 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: made tracks public
Old 5th March 2019
Here for the gear
OK, here are a couple of questions that I have - things that I have done to the original recordings.

First, I should state that the original recording was a stereo mp3 - on the Zoom H6 if you record in mp3 it automatically makes a stereo file, but I intended to record in WAV so that I could manipulate each channel separately. So individual instruments aren't adjustable.

Fortunately, I kept an eye on levels while we were playing so they are somewhat balanced. However, I recorded the bass with a Shure Beta 52A and it definitely (re?)produced strong low frequencies - too strong in fact through a system that can handle and reproduce them, so I had to eq some of that out. What you hear is the way I ended up eq'ing it.

The other thing is the reverb. Everything is close-mic'd, recorded in a small garage. But I bought a Strymon blueSky, so am experimenting with that. I feel like it is pretty wet, but I like what it does with the guitars when they get into it. If I had separate tracks for each instrument, I'd probably be running delay part of the time too, so hopefully I'm not over-compensating.

Thanks again!
Old 12th March 2019
Here for the gear
I'm going to redo these. There is some distortion which I think is the SF-2 overloading the input of the blueSky.

Also thought I would experiment with recording the reverb 100% wet and adding it in later.

Any thoughts on the EQ?

Maybe this should go in the guitar section?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search