The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mixing for 7 years and im still trash
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

mixing for 7 years and im still trash

Hi, I was hoping someone can help me realize what problems are in my mix, I never seem to get a mix right.. any insight would be super appreciated ! Ive been trying to get a decent mix for years. ! thanks

Vibe Out by roboCat | Robo Cat | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 4 weeks ago
Well, don´t push your limiter so hard then the whole thing will sound much better. You are louder than Justin Bieber...Do you have an EQ on your mixbus that you use to boost the midrange?? Your balance is also not quite optimal, your vocals are a bit too loud in the mix and too midrange heavy maybe overcompressed too? Either you overused the eq or the mic / vocal combination was the wrong one. You can try cutting out a bit of midrange or if you´ve boost it remove it! All in all, you are not that far away... there is no reason to despair. Maybe you have to look elsewhere for your problem. How does your room sound? Monitors? Maybe you have to change something else to get ahead?

best regards
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

You got the hardest part down which is making a good song. The songs good first of all. Secondly, considering there’s no percussion, this should make mixing that much more easy. Just having guitars and vocals leave the spectrum wide open and allows more room to breath, as certain frequencies aren’t battling each other for space. The vocals sound good, but maybe too gritty for that style. Try softening the vocal a bit. The guitar sounds good as well, but it seems as though the guitar is battling the vocal for center stage. Try backing the vocal off a bit so it has a nice blend with the guitar.

This is why most artist have other engineers mix their projects because they hear things the artist doesnt. They’re in a position to just listen and hear exactly what needs to be done before even touching a knob. This is why they are experts at what they do. Not that u dont have the ability to do it yourself, it’s just different using another set of ears. But good job, I like the song.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNto View Post
Well, don´t push your limiter so hard then the whole thing will sound much better. You are louder than Justin Bieber...Do you have an EQ on your mixbus that you use to boost the midrange?? Your balance is also not quite optimal, your vocals are a bit too loud in the mix and too midrange heavy maybe overcompressed too? Either you overused the eq or the mic / vocal combination was the wrong one. You can try cutting out a bit of midrange or if you´ve boost it remove it! All in all, you are not that far away... there is no reason to despair. Maybe you have to look elsewhere for your problem. How does your room sound? Monitors? Maybe you have to change something else to get ahead?

best regards
Honestly every metering tool I used when comparing told me that the Bieber track (“love yourself” is louder, but I suspect over limiting might be the biggest issue here, and I also felt that their was too much mid in the vocals but when I would cut some 3k even with dynamic eq it still made my vocals dull and not in ur face.
I’m going to try your suggestions, thanks so much for your ears!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by locnus View Post
You got the hardest part down which is making a good song. The songs good first of all. Secondly, considering there’s no percussion, this should make mixing that much more easy. Just having guitars and vocals leave the spectrum wide open and allows more room to breath, as certain frequencies aren’t battling each other for space. The vocals sound good, but maybe too gritty for that style. Try softening the vocal a bit. The guitar sounds good as well, but it seems as though the guitar is battling the vocal for center stage. Try backing the vocal off a bit so it has a nice blend with the guitar.

This is why most artist have other engineers mix their projects because they hear things the artist doesnt. They’re in a position to just listen and hear exactly what needs to be done before even touching a knob. This is why they are experts at what they do. Not that u dont have the ability to do it yourself, it’s just different using another set of ears. But good job, I like the song.
I also thought this mix would be so easy because there is only guitar and vocals but for some reason the vocals are kicking my ass. I can’t get the blend right.. I’ve tried everything but it never feels good to me.. what do u think is making the vocals gritty? I’m trying to get them in your face but also soft
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I would suggest soloing the main vocal first. Open an EQ, any EQ. Don’t buy into the whole GUI game, an EQ is an EQ, the one in your DAW will do just fine. Do a sweep in the mid to high region and see what frequency jumps out at you. Do a slight cut in that frequency. Make sure to remove the low frequency as well, as the human voice doesn’t produce frequencies in that range anyway, just wasted space. I would also suggest to add a bit of reverb to the back up vocals to add a bit of space and air, this will in turn soften the main vocal if mixed right. A nice vocal technique is to triple your main vocal, pan one to the left, the other to the right, but not a hard pan, and blend so they are just barely audible behind the main vocal. This sweetens the main vocal. Adds a nice spatial effect. There are plugs that soften things up but they tend to be a little aggressive, with no way to control the amount of the effect, just a slider that goes left and right. Try these things and see what u get. The vocal sweep is very important because it eliminates those troublesome frequencies that do a darn good job of hiding themselves in the mix. Too much build up in that range just becomes that much more apparent when limited or compressed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by locnus View Post
I would suggest soloing the main vocal first. Open an EQ, any EQ. Don’t buy into the whole GUI game, an EQ is an EQ, the one in your DAW will do just fine. Do a sweep in the mid to high region and see what frequency jumps out at you. Do a slight cut in that frequency. Make sure to remove the low frequency as well, as the human voice doesn’t produce frequencies in that range anyway, just wasted space. I would also suggest to add a bit of reverb to the back up vocals to add a bit of space and air, this will in turn soften the main vocal if mixed right. A nice vocal technique is to triple your main vocal, pan one to the left, the other to the right, but not a hard pan, and blend so they are just barely audible behind the main vocal. This sweetens the main vocal. Adds a nice spatial effect. There are plugs that soften things up but they tend to be a little aggressive, with no way to control the amount of the effect, just a slider that goes left and right. Try these things and see what u get. The vocal sweep is very important because it eliminates those troublesome frequencies that do a darn good job of hiding themselves in the mix. Too much build up in that range just becomes that much more apparent when limited or compressed.
Thanks so much!! Will try these out
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For what it’s worth I think it sounds pretty damn good. That’s coming from a 12:30 in the morning sitting on the couch listening on an iPad situation, but still. You’re doing quite well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarforlife View Post
Honestly every metering tool I used when comparing told me that the Bieber track (“love yourself” is louder, but I suspect over limiting might be the biggest issue here, and I also felt that their was too much mid in the vocals but when I would cut some 3k even with dynamic eq it still made my vocals dull and not in ur face.
I’m going to try your suggestions, thanks so much for your ears!!
Always rely on your ears first and use meters only as an extra help. As far as I know, meters react like a compressor first to the low frequencies of which you have hardly anything. For example, if you would add a bass track to your song, the volume would destroy everything, everything would be way too loud.
Maybe I didn´t express myself correctly but with Midrage I don´t mean the upper mids or Presence, not 3k!
Your have to much somewhere between 500 and 2000k rather around the 1000k not 3k!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybox View Post
For what it’s worth I think it sounds pretty damn good. That’s coming from a 12:30 in the morning sitting on the couch listening on an iPad situation, but still. You’re doing quite well.
thanks brotha!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

For me it's sounds good.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedchub View Post
For me it's sounds good.
Thanks dude, i appreciate it, but if you had to point out one thing that could be better, what would it be?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks dude, i appreciate it, but if you had to point out one thing that could be better, what would it be?
First thing maybe i wanna change is unnatural voice pitching effect. Today melodyne is a must, but e.g. 0:20-0:25, 0:27-0.28 it's tuned very unnatural way. It's good as an effect. If singer wants this kind of effect then ok, but if he wants to sound natural then you may work on this.

If I was mixing this song i will do completely another eq changes, volume changes. Here is my view of this song, how i hear it. Your mix works too but anyway here is my mix
Eq changes:
0:08 My mix
0:08-0:20 Original
0:20-0:31 My mix
0:31-0:38 Original
0:38 y mix

Maybe it's metter of taste but i like more soften sounds.
Attached Files

Wibe out AB.mp3 (1.85 MB, 191 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
First thing maybe i wanna change is unnatural voice pitching effect. Today melodyne is a must, but e.g. 0:20-0:25, 0:27-0.28 it's tuned very unnatural way. It's good as an effect. If singer wants this kind of effect then ok, but if he wants to sound natural then you may work on this.

If I was mixing this song i will do completely another eq changes, volume changes. Here is my view of this song, how i hear it. Your mix works too but anyway here is my mix
Eq changes:
0:08 My mix
0:08-0:20 Original
0:20-0:31 My mix
0:31-0:38 Original
0:38 y mix

Maybe it's metter of taste but i like more soften sounds.
wow thanks for taking the time to do this man!! appreciate u ...

just wondering what freq u eq'ed out ? to get a softer tone.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
wow thanks for taking the time to do this man!! appreciate u ...

just wondering what freq u eq'ed out ? to get a softer tone.
I cuted with shelf curve at 100hz 6db. Bell curve 3600hz -10db. So what you get is midrange and high frequency(more smoother tone and near to listener). DEeeser at 3200hz (when he is singing - let just gooooo- "just" blows up speaker at 3200hz)
Also what you can do is just boost 800hz and super high end and you will get same result.

I used reference track. On this track i chose Justin Bieber - Love yourself. I think this reference track is perfect for this kind of track, so use it and maybe comparing you will do better eq moves then me(i did it fast) and also balance.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I cuted with shelf curve at 100hz 6db. Bell curve 3600hz -10db. So what you get is midrange and high frequency(more smoother tone and near to listener). DEeeser at 3200hz (when he is singing - let just gooooo- "just" blows up speaker at 3200hz)
Also what you can do is just boost 800hz and super high end and you will get same result.

I used reference track. On this track i chose Justin Bieber - Love yourself. I think this reference track is perfect for this kind of track, so use it and maybe comparing you will do better eq moves then me(i did it fast) and also balance.
thanks so much!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search