The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Listen to my samples mixes and help me end my madness
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Listen to my samples mixes and help me end my madness

Hello. I literally have gone mad. I just wanna create ****, but I'm tired of my mixes sounding different on every source, my microphone sounding different every take, and just overall being unsatisfied with my sound. Listen to these mixes I've done on 2 projects I'm working on. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files

Lies.mp3 (774.6 KB, 206 views)

No Calls.mp3 (1.83 MB, 195 views)

Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellerri View Post
Hello. I literally have gone mad. I just wanna create ****, but I'm tired of my mixes sounding different on every source, my microphone sounding different every take, and just overall being unsatisfied with my sound. Listen to these mixes I've done on 2 projects I'm working on. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Hey man

I'm afraid the only thing I can suggest is to try harder, listen with more thought and attention to other music and work out what it is that you don't like about your music or what's missing and then figure out how to make changes

I would recommend, listening very carefully to some music you think is sort of similar, and making changes to your production process accordingly. For example, your vocal sounds dry, no fx - also, it's too loud in the second track (or music too quiet)

I would recommend, reading as much as you can about recording techniques - if your delivery sounds different you need to either work out how to make that work, or make it exactly the same every single time by doing everything you do the same - paying attention to every single little detail and re-doing things if required

I would recommend practicing making music, and paying attention to everything, looking at waveforms, watching meters, making small changes and comparing things, try to work out what makes what sound like what

I would recommend listening to as much music as possible, and through different sources (car, big speakers, small speakers, crummy radio, earbuds)

Everyone (pretty much) is 'unsatisfied' with their sound, but you can't let that stop you. Or, you can, but that's called 'giving up'.

Idk maybe for you - if you don't want to - you could find some engineer to collaborate with; depends on what you're trying to do/ why and how important it all is to you

HTH
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Recording mixing and mastering is an art. Its an acquired art that will take a lot of time to achieve. Decades in some cases.
If i was leaning how to paint, i would not be expected to paint like a pro in 3 years. It would take longer than that to hone the skills, knowledge and experience to be able to create a professional looking piece.

So if you are comparing yourself to professionally produced material, what do you expect?
Relax, Read, learn, practice ,sleep and Repeat! do those things until it happens.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Might be only me but vocals are so loud compared to the rest of the mix, how do you balance everything?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

It seems as though u have 2 questions.
1. Your mix sounds different on multiple playback sources
2. Your mic sounds different on every take.

Answer to #1 . The most common reasons for material sounding different on multiple playback sources obviously starts in the mix, which no one can tell u how to do, it’s trial and error unfortunately like CJ mastering stated. Secondly is the room in which you’re mixing in. An untreated room may give u fantastic results in the room you’re mixing in, but outside of the room is where things tend to fall part. Simple placement of sound absorbing foam and bass traps can clean this up pretty quick. Another culprit can be the monitors used. Flat response monitors tend to let u hear exactly whats there without adding anything extra to the sound. Try using reference material to compare with and try to get your sound as close to it as u can.

Answer to #2 . The mic sounding different on every take. This has absolutely nothing to do with the mic, so dont go out buying a different or more expensive mic thinking your results will change, save the money!!!! This area tends to be with the position of the mic preamp knobs, external compressors knobs, etc. If you are the only one recording, find the sweet spot for your vocals and don’t touch the preamp levels, this will help with maintaining recording consistency. The first thing we tend to do is start reaching for the knobs when recording levels don’t satisfy us. This is a set and forget tactic, of course unless you’re recording other people. Another issue is mic proximity. Maybe you’re not standing in the same place every time, to close, too far away. This technique will improve with time.

The “ lies “ record didn’t sound bad, just needs a bit of mixing. Mastering is a completely different beast that shouldn’t even be touched until the mixing stage is right first. There’s no mastering engineer that can make a bad mix sound great. This is where the , “ You can’t polish a turd terminology comes from “. I wish you all the best in your future recording endeavors, I hope this was helpful.

**** Help others get where you are now, because you one use to be there yourself****
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Your song will always sound different on every source. Thats why Mixers and Masters are experienced pros. I am no pro but I purposely mix on a horrible cheap digital pc speakers... 1st.... I get it to sound good at all volumes... but I make sure it sounds good on EXTREMELY low barely audible volume. Then I move to car speakers. Then I move to some huge old powered speakers (125 watt)... If it sounds good on all those - I am pretty satisfied.

Just small tweaks or adding or removing an instrument or sound can vastly change the sound of the WHOLE song as a whole... definitley do what the OP said... And yes have fun doing it. gl
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellerri View Post
I would bet that a lot of your frustration comes from your monitoring situation. Your monitors/room are making it hard to hear the balance clearly so things jump out at you in a different environment. The room is possibly a factor in your vocal take frustration as well.

Whatever you can afford to do to improve your monitoring environment, do it. This can improve your sound and reduce frustration dramatically.

That said, don't be too down on you're work. You've created some really engaging songs. The mixes might have some imbalances but they have a lot of vibe. And that's the important bit! You have a great voice and your mixes create a nice cradle for it that allows it to shine. There's a beautifully vulnerable and intimate vibe to the sound. You're lucky to have a good voice that can be put right out in front like you have.

In terms of possible improvements, aside from controlling the low end a bit more (the better you can hear it the better you'll be able to control it), there is also a need for some upper harmonics to help the ear identify sounds better. This is especially important for bass and kick sounds. With the right amount of upper harmonic detail, they tend to cut through a bit better and reduce the tendency to overboost the lower fundamentals. The vocal and other sounds would probably benefit from some added harmonics as well.

Ideally these come from the source itself or the recording chain. But failing that, use of some subtle saturation in the mix could help bring out some clarity and energy. You don't want to hear it, just feel it lifting the mix a bit.

Hope that's helpful.

Last edited by SmoothTone; 1 day ago at 06:21 AM..
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. -Pablo Picasso

Love Picasso - was blessed to go to the Picasso pottery museum in France (Mainly work before his painting career) great stuff 3d added can see much of his future periods in there...but what always struck me hard is that he destroyed paintings that he painted that he loved. He said if they existed his inspiration for painting would not exist. So what we see is his second rate work...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search