The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Orchestral track mix unpleasant on my car speakers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Question Orchestral track mix unpleasant on my car speakers

I just finished writing this piece of orchestral music and I'm having a hard time figuring out why my strings low end (cellos and contrabasses from LASS) like at the 1 min mark are making my car's speakers rumbling. They are making strong vibrations, it's almost unbearable to listen to. Even my piano (Alicia's Keys) at 2min mark has some very unpleasant mids. I used a multiband compressor on the cellos and contrabasses to compress bass frequencies (0-150Hz) by 6db with a 4:1 ratio and also EQ'ed a bit. As for the piano, the mids were so unpleasant I had to EQ them down significantly but it's still sounding bad on my car speakers.

My car speakers has no problem playing commercial tracks (pop, rap, metal) with lots of bass without vibrating like crazy or saturating. So I take it's an issue in my mix. Unfortunately when I'm listening to my track on my Tannoy Reveals, I don't hear much problem.

What would be your advice to solve this? More compression?

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Watch some tutorials on isolating and removing resonances. You have a ton of them going on in there.
Compressing things just makes it worse.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Thanks for the pointer, would you care to elaborate?
If by "isolating and removing resonances" you meaning sweeping through the instrument frequencies with an EQ with a high Q to find the offending frequencies, I tried that and failed I guess. For the piano I had to widen the Q and remove a good chunk of mids to make the sound more pleasant to my ear. What I find curious is that these Native Instruments libraries don't come pre mixed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
Thanks for the pointer, would you care to elaborate?
If by "isolating and removing resonances" you meaning sweeping through the instrument frequencies with an EQ with a high Q to find the offending frequencies, I tried that and failed I guess. For the piano I had to widen the Q and remove a good chunk of mids to make the sound more pleasant to my ear. What I find curious is that these Native Instruments libraries don't come pre mixed.
Its a bit more complicated than i made it out to be in my answer.
I was trying to be helpful but brief i guess.

The way in which you deal with resonances is SUPER important. It depends on so many things, and there are so many variables that you will still have to practice doing this in different mixes for a very long time before you can truly get a handle on it.
The key for you now is, dont rush. Take your time, keep experimenting.

If you dont give up, you will succeed.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Hello, Joecandy is right about resonances. I tried to eliminate some problem areas in the first part of this song. So download and check in your car.
Attached Files

Before.mp3 (4.18 MB, 58 views)

Master Orch.mp3 (4.18 MB, 57 views)

Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Thanks guys, I didn't think I would encounter so much resonance issues with these commercial libraries.

creedchub, I'll check your attempt next time I'll take my car. In the meantime could you please share a screenshot of your EQ settings or whatever you did so I can understand what's happening? Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
Thanks guys, I didn't think I would encounter so much resonance issues with these commercial libraries.

creedchub, I'll check your attempt next time I'll take my car. In the meantime could you please share a screenshot of your EQ settings or whatever you did so I can understand what's happening? Thanks
Here is settings what i did:
-HPF at 30hz.
-18db at 73hz with very narrow bandwidth.
-18db at 173hz also with narrow bandwidth.
-2db at 2500hz

So i will explain why i did this changes - I cutted 73hz, because at 0:44 you hear, that the first note is too loud and every time he hits this note at 73hz its blows out speaker. Same situation at 173hz. With narrow band all the low end stays the same(with multiband compression you can do the same thing, but you may will end up with less low end and problem was not only in 2 or 3 db). Also i cutted super low frequences below 30hz.
On whole song this eq changes will not work, because as i remember, second hook had another problem areas from 300hz to 500hz.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search