The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
help with my mixing/mastering Equalizer Plugins
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

help with my mixing/mastering

Hey everyone. I have a solo project and I did my first full production on my own. This is also my first serious attempt at mixing and mastering. I'm self taught in everything pretty much so some guidance and help would be appreciated. What could be done better? What did I do well. Thanks for any input.

Divide. by Tyler Ennis 1 | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 2 weeks ago
Hi Tyler well done on your track, I enjoyed hearing it.
it's great making music isn't it.
This song reminds me a lot of Simple Minds Glittering Prize, very similar backing track.
I'm not a fan of the stereo placement in your mix, the vocal seems one sided to the right.
The backing vocals also seems to stand out to much at well. I would bring all the vocals in to the middle more and try double tracking the lead vocals, have one quieter hiding under the other with a different EQ or very strong dessert on it. add some saturation and cut down that top a little especially on the backing. To much air makes it feel to close to the listener.
Also LP and HP your effects reverbs 300hz and 5khz and delay, calve out some space as there is a little too much thickness in the low end 200 to 400 Hz area.
Maybe a bit more 1.2k on the bass guitar.
Id bring the snare toward the middle more but that's me.
Then in mastering and a lot more brightness maybe with 5khz and 12khz .
And hint of 80hz low end .
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

cool thanks for the nice review. It's weird but I remember keeping my vocals in the centre....maybe im wrong or maybe something makes it seem like its leaning? Anyways, I'll keep your notes in mind for the next one.
Old 2 weeks ago
I like the track all in all its a pretty decent easy listening experience. The Vocal was nice with some good vocal backings. As far as improvements go the guitar was a bit piercing in the highs which hurt my ears a bit and could use a bit more dynamic build up/ break. Overall though I enjoyed listening. Thanks for the upload.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Thank you. Yeah automation is the next thing to learn so I can have a mix thats constantly developing and drawing attention. I think those piercing highs might be from the amp sim. I blended my real amp with BIAS amp for the guitar portion.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Nice track.

For the guitars you'd just multiband down 2k. I think all the vocals could use more high end - tube eq or for more effect, an exciter (think Aphex). The low end's a bit tubby to me, I'd actually cut a bit of the subs.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
Nice track.

For the guitars you'd just multiband down 2k. I think all the vocals could use more high end - tube eq or for more effect, an exciter (think Aphex). The low end's a bit tubby to me, I'd actually cut a bit of the subs.
Do you mean I should eq all guitar down at 2k? How much do you suppose? I also do all mixing in the box as I don't have any hardware so no tube eq. Someone else also mentioned I should cut out a lot of reverb eq from my sends which would clean up the low end do you agree with that? Thanks for the reply.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty45 View Post
Do you mean I should eq all guitar down at 2k? How much do you suppose? I also do all mixing in the box as I don't have any hardware so no tube eq. Someone else also mentioned I should cut out a lot of reverb eq from my sends which would clean up the low end do you agree with that? Thanks for the reply.
Occasional or moderate peaking is usually a job for multiband compression. I'm not sure what options you have, but most DAWs have a stock multiband. If not then there's still things like TDR Nova which has a four-band free version with no restrictions. Just find somewhere 2-2.5k and have it duck a few dB when the frequency is too loud. A de-esser will work too. I like the guitar tone quite a bit, it's just a little peaky.

Tube EQ is fine in the box, anything Pultec style. The reverb sends are fine to me. Maybe they technically need less low end, but it can kill vibe fast.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search