The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do I reach the next level?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

How do I reach the next level?

Dear friends of Gearslutz!

I just released the first track from a forthcoming self-produced EP. The genre could be described as "intimate & minimalistic indie-pop", with vocals at the center of attention. I would love to hear what you think of it. In your honest opinions, what would make the song better? How do I reach the next level of production (in terms of mixing, arrangement, composition, mastering, etc.)?

On repeat, a song by Karl Jakob on Spotify
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicJakob View Post
Dear friends of Gearslutz!

I just released the first track from a forthcoming self-produced EP. The genre could be described as "intimate & minimalistic indie-pop", with vocals at the center of attention. I would love to hear what you think of it. In your honest opinions, what would make the song better? How do I reach the next level of production (in terms of mixing, arrangement, composition, mastering, etc.)?

On repeat, a song by Karl Jakob on Spotify
I really like this, I'm impressed no one has given it a thumbs up. There could be improvement where the snare is concerned. maybe add an open hi hat hit or something. watch drive and pay attention to what they do with the snares and fx sounds.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBestFriend View Post
I really like this, I'm impressed no one has given it a thumbs up. There could be improvement where the snare is concerned. maybe add an open hi hat hit or something. watch drive and pay attention to what they do with the snares and fx sounds.
Thank you for the lovely response YourBestFriend. Do you think it would be a good idea to add a more punchy low-mid snare in the more beat-heavy parts? This is how i usually do snares, but i found that they take up too much space in this sort of minimal production. Or would you rather have more 'textured' snare in the higher frequencies, like adding a snap?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicJakob View Post
Thank you for the lovely response YourBestFriend. Do you think it would be a good idea to add a more punchy low-mid snare in the more beat-heavy parts? This is how i usually do snares, but i found that they take up too much space in this sort of minimal production. Or would you rather have more 'textured' snare in the higher frequencies, like adding a snap?
Whatever the song calls for really. the snare sounded lonely, a drummer would probably add an open high hat hit every other snare hit. I loved how you built textures, and if you finished up this song with a heavy hitting ending that would be
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Sounds good.

To me it needs differentiation. Too many sounds are too close to each other tonally. EQ needs to sculpt bigger pockets - it doesn't take much - and some things need to stand out at particular times. There's no drama.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search