The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I would need some feedback about my mix! Dynamic Microphones
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I would need some feedback about my mix!

Hi guys!

I am a big reader here on Gearslutz but I rarely write posts. I'm not quite sure either if I am posting this one in the good section. Anyway, I decided to write here and hope to get some help & feedback. I have been mixing music for more than 15 years now. My girlfriend Julia Westlin, is an awesome singer & songwriter and I always do the final mixing on her songs. She has a very beautiful voice but her voice has some special tones when she push the voice harder. We often call it "metallic sounding". I often drop some frequencies around 2.5khz and also use a dynamic EQ to drop some of those frequencies that sound too harsh to my ears. Still, sometimes I wonder if there is something I could do for the vocals to have less of those mid frequencies. But I don't want to remove the personnality of her voice either. I am always open for suggestions and I always want to improve my mixing skills. I need feedback from new people who also have experience with mixing vocals. Is there something I could do differently so it becomes even more pleasant to the ears? Thanks a lot for your feedbacks!

Here is the most recent mix:

Thanks a lot in advance and please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong section of the forum.

David

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 1 week ago at 08:56 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I think this is an intriguing artist and production. What microphone are you using on her vocal, and what is the main vocal reverb?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMeShow View Post
I have been mixing music for more than 15 years now.
only a fool would have thought otherwise. its very well done David.

some sexy stuff on the rhythm section.

as Borat would say....is Nice....

Buddha

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 1 week ago at 08:56 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I think this is an intriguing artist and production. What microphone are you using on her vocal, and what is the main vocal reverb?
Julia uses a Shure SM7B mic & Cloudlifter preamp going to an Audient id14. I use two reverbs on her main vocals, she loves a preset from the kjaerhus classic reverb that I keep during mixing and then I also add some Valhalla VintageVerb. I EQs a lot those two reverbs to cut a lot of high and high-mid frequencies. Julia and I are the only two persons working on those music videos with a limited amount of gears so we always challenge ourselves for every project. It's nice to hear feedback here! Thanks for that!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post

only a fool would have thought otherwise. its very well done David.

some sexy stuff on the rhythm section.

as Borat would say....is Nice....

Buddha
Thank you so much for your feedback Buddha! It makes us happy!

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 1 week ago at 08:57 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Julia uses a Shure SM7B mic & Cloudlifter preamp going to an Audient id14. I use two reverbs on her main vocals, she loves a preset from the kjaerhus classic reverb that I keep during mixing and then I also add some Valhalla VintageVerb. I EQs a lot those two reverbs to cut a lot of high and high-mid frequencies. Julia and I are the only two persons working on those music videos with a limited amount of gears so we always challenge ourselves for every project. It's nice to hear feedback here! Thanks for that!
I don’t recall ever hearing such a pure, clear sound from an SM7B. My SM7B would get a lot more use if I could get that sound. Mine, with or without a Cloudlifter, and through a variety of preamps, sounds unspectacular at best, and is a real mudbucket at worst.
I am reluctant to criticize your mix, because it seems very well crafted, but a few things might be tried.
Both the mix and the video are very static. For a song over six minutes long, I didn’t hear or see much that was different as the song progressed. There are subtle changes, but for my taste they could be less subtle. The reverb might come down a little and the dry vocal up a little when the mix gets more complex. The non-piano elements are so understated that they don’t make a statement. You might want everything to be almost subliminal compared to the piano, and if that is your intention, you have nailed it. I’m curious what it would sound like if the other instruments equaled the piano in some part of the song.
Likewise in the video, six-plus minutes at the piano is beyond my attention span. Even if you stay with the piano shot, you could overlay something either showing the artist in another setting or adding almost anything... clouds, sunset, an iceberg... something.
So, I hope I haven’t made you regret asking for comments. It appears you have a large following without any help from me, so don’t take any of my suggestions too seriously. Good luck!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Re

Great work. It's really difficult to make a sm7 to sound so polished. I think tek side you are ready to follow her trough her business.

But. And take no offense.

It's static. Too safe zone the vox. Too safe zone her. Too safe zone the writing. Too safe zone the mix. You can try to find something unique in her. Really unique. And enanche that Thing.

As some swede people say. I need the payoff. I listen about 2min and there is a major payoff. Something that stick in my mind and grown on my mind and make me hungry to listen again.

Anyway. Really good work..try to experiment a bit more..don't be shy
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Julia uses a Shure SM7B mic & Cloudlifter
David, as i said before its Good. if we are all going to get picky then i will add a couple of things.

if you are looking for vocal improvements, then i would suggest you try another microphone.

the one i would suggest is an AKG 414eb.

it doesnt have to be a Brass capsule, regardless of the hype around here.

a good condenser will add a little more diction to the words, by way of the added hi frequency response, and the clarity of the words will improve.

very important in sparse vocal production to be able to clearly identify the lyrics.

she has very nice tone and the 414 would suit her voice i believe.

i know Michael jackson used the SM7b but his singing and tone is nothing like your girl, so any comparisons there are meaningless.

also are you self mastering? i thought the top end vocal clarity was a bit down, and thought the mastering guy could have helped there a little.

some of the other peoples comments are valid, but personally i thought the understated musical aspect of the mix was intentional, and forces the focus towards the singer. so i thought that aspect was classy and cool myself.

anyway keep it up. i think you are doing great.

Buddha
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
very important in sparse vocal production to be able to clearly identify the lyrics.

personally i thought the understated musical aspect of the mix was intentional, and forces the focus towards the singer. so i thought that aspect was classy and cool myself.
Good input from the Buddha (as usual). I thought the two points quoted above are especially worth looking at twice.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks a lot guys! :)

Thank you so much for your constructive feedback! This is exactly why I decided to post here! We plan to upgrade Julia's recording room to get a better sound isolation and I also believe that she deserve a great condenser microphone that fits her voice. I always like to have her voice right infront of the mix. I agree that the mix and the video feels static, mainly considering the length of the song. This is something I will consider next time. I also agree that the main vocal deserve more top end. This is something I will also study for the next project. Thanks again guys for taking of your time for us! We really appreciate it! :D
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I’ll wish you good luck... success is often due to a combination of luck and talent. You and your artist have talent, so I’m wishing you luck.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Hey guys! I just published a new original song on YouTube and I wanted to share it with you! Please feel free to give me your feedback! We are a team of two to produce everything until it's published. Julia and me. Thanks again for your time!

David MeShow - Alive : YouTube
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search