The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I would need some feedback about my mix!
Old 2nd November 2018
  #1
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
I would need some feedback about my mix!

Hi guys!

I am a big reader here on Gearslutz but I rarely write posts. I'm not quite sure either if I am posting this one in the good section. Anyway, I decided to write here and hope to get some help & feedback. I have been mixing music for more than 15 years now. My girlfriend Julia Westlin, is an awesome singer & songwriter and I always do the final mixing on her songs. She has a very beautiful voice but her voice has some special tones when she push the voice harder. We often call it "metallic sounding". I often drop some frequencies around 2.5khz and also use a dynamic EQ to drop some of those frequencies that sound too harsh to my ears. Still, sometimes I wonder if there is something I could do for the vocals to have less of those mid frequencies. But I don't want to remove the personnality of her voice either. I am always open for suggestions and I always want to improve my mixing skills. I need feedback from new people who also have experience with mixing vocals. Is there something I could do differently so it becomes even more pleasant to the ears? Thanks a lot for your feedbacks!

Here is the most recent mix:

Thanks a lot in advance and please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong section of the forum.

David

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 3rd November 2018 at 08:56 AM..
Old 2nd November 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
I think this is an intriguing artist and production. What microphone are you using on her vocal, and what is the main vocal reverb?
Old 3rd November 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
 
BIG BUDDHA's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMeShow View Post
I have been mixing music for more than 15 years now.
only a fool would have thought otherwise. its very well done David.

some sexy stuff on the rhythm section.

as Borat would say....is Nice....

Buddha

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 3rd November 2018 at 08:56 AM..
Old 3rd November 2018
  #4
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I think this is an intriguing artist and production. What microphone are you using on her vocal, and what is the main vocal reverb?
Julia uses a Shure SM7B mic & Cloudlifter preamp going to an Audient id14. I use two reverbs on her main vocals, she loves a preset from the kjaerhus classic reverb that I keep during mixing and then I also add some Valhalla VintageVerb. I EQs a lot those two reverbs to cut a lot of high and high-mid frequencies. Julia and I are the only two persons working on those music videos with a limited amount of gears so we always challenge ourselves for every project. It's nice to hear feedback here! Thanks for that!
Old 3rd November 2018
  #5
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post

only a fool would have thought otherwise. its very well done David.

some sexy stuff on the rhythm section.

as Borat would say....is Nice....

Buddha
Thank you so much for your feedback Buddha! It makes us happy!

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 3rd November 2018 at 08:57 AM..
Old 3rd November 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMeShow View Post
Julia uses a Shure SM7B mic & Cloudlifter preamp going to an Audient id14. I use two reverbs on her main vocals, she loves a preset from the kjaerhus classic reverb that I keep during mixing and then I also add some Valhalla VintageVerb. I EQs a lot those two reverbs to cut a lot of high and high-mid frequencies. Julia and I are the only two persons working on those music videos with a limited amount of gears so we always challenge ourselves for every project. It's nice to hear feedback here! Thanks for that!
I don’t recall ever hearing such a pure, clear sound from an SM7B. My SM7B would get a lot more use if I could get that sound. Mine, with or without a Cloudlifter, and through a variety of preamps, sounds unspectacular at best, and is a real mudbucket at worst.
I am reluctant to criticize your mix, because it seems very well crafted, but a few things might be tried.
Both the mix and the video are very static. For a song over six minutes long, I didn’t hear or see much that was different as the song progressed. There are subtle changes, but for my taste they could be less subtle. The reverb might come down a little and the dry vocal up a little when the mix gets more complex. The non-piano elements are so understated that they don’t make a statement. You might want everything to be almost subliminal compared to the piano, and if that is your intention, you have nailed it. I’m curious what it would sound like if the other instruments equaled the piano in some part of the song.
Likewise in the video, six-plus minutes at the piano is beyond my attention span. Even if you stay with the piano shot, you could overlay something either showing the artist in another setting or adding almost anything... clouds, sunset, an iceberg... something.
So, I hope I haven’t made you regret asking for comments. It appears you have a large following without any help from me, so don’t take any of my suggestions too seriously. Good luck!
Old 4th November 2018
  #7
Gear Addict
 

Re

Great work. It's really difficult to make a sm7 to sound so polished. I think tek side you are ready to follow her trough her business.

But. And take no offense.

It's static. Too safe zone the vox. Too safe zone her. Too safe zone the writing. Too safe zone the mix. You can try to find something unique in her. Really unique. And enanche that Thing.

As some swede people say. I need the payoff. I listen about 2min and there is a major payoff. Something that stick in my mind and grown on my mind and make me hungry to listen again.

Anyway. Really good work..try to experiment a bit more..don't be shy
Old 4th November 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 
BIG BUDDHA's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMeShow View Post
Julia uses a Shure SM7B mic & Cloudlifter
David, as i said before its Good. if we are all going to get picky then i will add a couple of things.

if you are looking for vocal improvements, then i would suggest you try another microphone.

the one i would suggest is an AKG 414eb.

it doesnt have to be a Brass capsule, regardless of the hype around here.

a good condenser will add a little more diction to the words, by way of the added hi frequency response, and the clarity of the words will improve.

very important in sparse vocal production to be able to clearly identify the lyrics.

she has very nice tone and the 414 would suit her voice i believe.

i know Michael jackson used the SM7b but his singing and tone is nothing like your girl, so any comparisons there are meaningless.

also are you self mastering? i thought the top end vocal clarity was a bit down, and thought the mastering guy could have helped there a little.

some of the other peoples comments are valid, but personally i thought the understated musical aspect of the mix was intentional, and forces the focus towards the singer. so i thought that aspect was classy and cool myself.

anyway keep it up. i think you are doing great.

Buddha
Old 4th November 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
very important in sparse vocal production to be able to clearly identify the lyrics.

personally i thought the understated musical aspect of the mix was intentional, and forces the focus towards the singer. so i thought that aspect was classy and cool myself.
Good input from the Buddha (as usual). I thought the two points quoted above are especially worth looking at twice.
Old 8th November 2018
  #10
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
Thanks a lot guys! :)

Thank you so much for your constructive feedback! This is exactly why I decided to post here! We plan to upgrade Julia's recording room to get a better sound isolation and I also believe that she deserve a great condenser microphone that fits her voice. I always like to have her voice right infront of the mix. I agree that the mix and the video feels static, mainly considering the length of the song. This is something I will consider next time. I also agree that the main vocal deserve more top end. This is something I will also study for the next project. Thanks again guys for taking of your time for us! We really appreciate it! :D
Old 8th November 2018
  #11
Lives for gear
I’ll wish you good luck... success is often due to a combination of luck and talent. You and your artist have talent, so I’m wishing you luck.
Old 15th November 2018
  #12
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
Hey guys! I just published a new original song on YouTube and I wanted to share it with you! Please feel free to give me your feedback! We are a team of two to produce everything until it's published. Julia and me. Thanks again for your time!

David MeShow - Alive : YouTube
Old 21st November 2018
  #13
very nice Mix.

Great reverb Sound!
Sounds as if there is some late Echos mixed into the Delay - gives a nice depth!

Vocals sound smooth to me - just some sibilance here and there.
example (nexssssst time at 1:12).
I would edit such a word manually. It usually helps to apply some narrow band EQ just for that word (around 5.5kHz in this case).

When you work often with a singer you might become over sensitive for certain things. At least thats my experience. Currently working with a singer here that has a tendency to "lisp". Sometimes Im to focused on it, so I let other people listen to it and usually they dont notice it at all...

You might try the Neumann TLM107 Microphone.
The SM7B is a nice microphone but it can have a lil harshness with some singers.
For me the TLM107 is a real problem solver in that case.
It might sound a bit dark at first - but it gives a very smooth/natural signal that is very "EQ friendly". My favorite for smooth female vocals atm.
Old 29th November 2018
  #14
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremolux View Post
very nice Mix.

Great reverb Sound!
Sounds as if there is some late Echos mixed into the Delay - gives a nice depth!

Vocals sound smooth to me - just some sibilance here and there.
example (nexssssst time at 1:12).
I would edit such a word manually. It usually helps to apply some narrow band EQ just for that word (around 5.5kHz in this case).

When you work often with a singer you might become over sensitive for certain things. At least thats my experience. Currently working with a singer here that has a tendency to "lisp". Sometimes Im to focused on it, so I let other people listen to it and usually they dont notice it at all...

You might try the Neumann TLM107 Microphone.
The SM7B is a nice microphone but it can have a lil harshness with some singers.
For me the TLM107 is a real problem solver in that case.
It might sound a bit dark at first - but it gives a very smooth/natural signal that is very "EQ friendly". My favorite for smooth female vocals atm.
Thanks a lot for your words! I will consider it next time I mix her vocals. About microphone, I often hear people comparing the Newmann to the akg c414 xlII, do you have any experience with the AKG as well? I'm asking as we have a good communication with AKG. Thanks for your time!

David
Old 29th November 2018
  #15
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
Julia just uploaded a new Acapella that was really challenging! I hope you enjoy what we did together!

YouTube
Old 29th November 2018
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMeShow View Post
Thanks a lot for your words! I will consider it next time I mix her vocals. About microphone, I often hear people comparing the Newmann to the akg c414 xlII, do you have any experience with the AKG as well? I'm asking as we have a good communication with AKG. Thanks for your time! David
I had a pair of C414XLS here 2 years ago.
but I couldnt compare them directly with the TLM107.

From what I remember...they go in the same direction.
Natural sounding rather "flat" than "hyped".
Somehow the C414XLS left me a lil to "flat" and I couldnt decide to keep them.

The 414XLII definitely has the better look!
but I assume that the TLM107 might give a little more "solid" vocal sound - very nice mids.
I think it would be great if you could order both Mics and try them with Julias voice!
Old 14th December 2018
  #17
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremolux View Post
I had a pair of C414XLS here 2 years ago.
but I couldnt compare them directly with the TLM107.

From what I remember...they go in the same direction.
Natural sounding rather "flat" than "hyped".
Somehow the C414XLS left me a lil to "flat" and I couldnt decide to keep them.

The 414XLII definitely has the better look!
but I assume that the TLM107 might give a little more "solid" vocal sound - very nice mids.
I think it would be great if you could order both Mics and try them with Julias voice!
Thanks a lot for the infos! I guess the most challenging for us is to find one that will not hide too much her face in the video. But I agree that we should try them or rent them to do some tests. Thanks again! :D
Old 14th December 2018
  #18
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
Here is a new Acapella video from Julia! This one gives me shivers! She truly has the voice of an angel! She is incredibly talented! Have a listen/look!

YouTube
Old 17th February 2019
  #19
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
Hey guys! I want to share Julia's new song that we just released! It was challenging to mix it as we are not home and only use a laptop and a pair of headphones. No studio monitors. We also filmed the video in a tiny church and it was kind of dark but I'm really happy with the final result!

YouTube
Old 1st March 2019
  #20
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
Here is my new Music Video on YouTube! For all the guitar lovers! :D

YouTube
Old 1st April 2019
  #21
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
New Masterpiece from Julia!

Hi guys! I want to share with you a new song from Julia! It’s beautiful! Please tell me what you think! Thanks!

YouTube
Old 1st May 2019
  #22
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
Hi guys! I have been having fun using Magenta5 and BIG CEIL from Acustica Audio on the new Julia's music video! I really enjoy the magic that it adds! Here is the link to watch her new music video: https://youtu.be/T3MNz7tUG-c

Thanks for watching!
Old 3rd May 2019
  #23
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
Hey guys! :D I feel VERY excited to share with you this new music composition from Julia! We had the chance to record the video in the beautiful "Théatre Granada" in Sherbrooke and we are so happy with the final result! Julia has been working really hard for this one! It's finally up on YouTube! Thanks for watching and we are looking forward to hear what you think about it! Take care!

"All Your Love - Julia Westlin" https://youtu.be/zwFDgRsdf_U
Old 10th May 2019
  #24
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
Wow!!! We are so speechless!!! Julia got a CRAZY big gift from her great fan Alan!!! It's her dream piano!!! :o We filmed her reaction and the video is becoming viral! :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjdTd6QWvGw
Old 12th May 2019
  #25
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
Hey guys! Julia and I just released a cover of "Bad Liar" from "Imagine Dragons" on YouTube! I am always open for feedback so I can always progress more at mixing music. Thanks!

Old 22nd June 2019
  #26
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
Hey guys! I want to share with you this new Masterpiece "Fall For You" from Julia! We filmed the video in a special unauthorized area here in Québec Canada and we are really happy with the result. I would like to get feedback from you as we are always looking to progress and get better at what we do! Thanks a lot!

Old 1st July 2019
  #27
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
Hey everyone! New Original Music Video from our Angel Julia Westlin! I really love this one! She has such a unique voice! Again, I am always curious to hear what you think about the mix as I always wish to improve my mixing skills. Also, I know Gearslutz is not really about videos but I experience some "jumpy" frame rate on YouTube and I wonder why. When I watch it at home here on computer and tv, there is no problem. But on YouTube, the quality drop SO MUCH. Thanks for your help!

Old 5th July 2019
  #28
Lives for gear
Good Times...
I’m a little disappointed.
I do like this song, particularly the lyrics. The words are simple and unaffected, while the thought is profound.
To me, the intro is far too long. When the song is good, getting to it should not require a verse-length pad of ethereal music.
I am most disappointed in the video. The idea of having the singer lip-sync to a speeded up version and then playing it in slow motion is interesting, but after a bit it became much less interesting. I also think it may rob the singer of some ability to emote the song visually because she is hearing a speeded version as the video is shot. I just didn’t feel an emotional “look you in the eyes” connection to the singer through the video.
I also thought the constantly sunny look did not fit the mood of the song. “Good Times” May be the title of the song, but it strikes me as a somewhat melancholy honest expression of what we should seek, not a “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” carefree skip-down-the-sidewalk song. I would like to see it morph through some visual changes to a sunny ending.
Honestly, the production quality is very good, and my reaction may be a product of some passing mood of mine. I am curious whether anyone else has a similar reaction.
Old 31st July 2019
  #29
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Good Times...
I’m a little disappointed.
I do like this song, particularly the lyrics. The words are simple and unaffected, while the thought is profound.
To me, the intro is far too long. When the song is good, getting to it should not require a verse-length pad of ethereal music.
I am most disappointed in the video. The idea of having the singer lip-sync to a speeded up version and then playing it in slow motion is interesting, but after a bit it became much less interesting. I also think it may rob the singer of some ability to emote the song visually because she is hearing a speeded version as the video is shot. I just didn’t feel an emotional “look you in the eyes” connection to the singer through the video.
I also thought the constantly sunny look did not fit the mood of the song. “Good Times” May be the title of the song, but it strikes me as a somewhat melancholy honest expression of what we should seek, not a “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” carefree skip-down-the-sidewalk song. I would like to see it morph through some visual changes to a sunny ending.
Honestly, the production quality is very good, and my reaction may be a product of some passing mood of mine. I am curious whether anyone else has a similar reaction.
Thanks a lot Bushman! That is exactly the reason why I'm asking for feedback here so Julia and I can get better at what we are doing! I agree that we should not have used that slow motion in the complete video and that it should have been an evolution from beginning to the end of the video. Thanks again for your feedback! I appreciate it a lot!
Old 31st July 2019
  #30
Here for the gear
 
DavidMeShow's Avatar
Hey guys!

New original song "Feel Now" from Julia! I'm always curious to hear your feedback! We recently upgraded our video setup and are able to shoot and edit in 4K. We also start to get more and more request from companies to sync our music in movies/TV etc so it is really encouraging for us! Here is the video that we did for her new song! Thanks for watching!
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump