The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I would need some feedback about my mix!
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMeShow View Post
Hey guys!

New original song "Feel Now" from Julia! I'm always curious to hear your feedback! We recently upgraded our video setup and are able to shoot and edit in 4K. We also start to get more and more request from companies to sync our music in movies/TV etc so it is really encouraging for us! Here is the video that we did for her new song! Thanks for watching!
All my previous comments are answered in this new video. Very quick to the vocal, with the ethereal passage later, almost where a “lead guitar break” would be in a classic rock song. AND... in that ethereal passage, there are the unexpected visual and audio changes when the drum and tambourine are introduced.
You also have a very tight visual/audio sync with the vocals guitar and piano. I KNOW this isn’t live recording, but there aren’t any obvious sync glitches between what we see and what we hear. I don’t think the drum sync is quite as tight, but the visual editing is clever about concealing some of the drumstick strikes. I can easily accept this as a live performance... nothing lets me “see the machinery”. Very artful.
Old 31st July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
All my previous comments are answered in this new video. Very quick to the vocal, with the ethereal passage later, almost where a “lead guitar break” would be in a classic rock song. AND... in that ethereal passage, there are the unexpected visual and audio changes when the drum and tambourine are introduced.
You also have a very tight visual/audio sync with the vocals guitar and piano. I KNOW this isn’t live recording, but there aren’t any obvious sync glitches between what we see and what we hear. I don’t think the drum sync is quite as tight, but the visual editing is clever about concealing some of the drumstick strikes. I can easily accept this as a live performance... nothing lets me “see the machinery”. Very artful.
Thank you so much Bushman! So happy to hear this! I shared your words with Julia as well! We really appreciate it! Take care!
Old 7th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMeShow View Post
her voice has some special tones when she push the voice harder. We often call it "metallic sounding". I often drop some frequencies around 2.5khz and also use a dynamic EQ to drop some of those frequencies that sound too harsh to my ears. Still, sometimes I wonder if there is something I could do for the vocals to have less of those mid frequencies.
Hi,

Take a look at the plugin called Soothe by OekSound. It is an innovative approach that is marvelous for this sort of thing. I use it on every mix. Be cautious not to be too aggressive with Soothe, as if you go too far and broad with it it can be a bit phasey.

It will do exactly what you asked for and is simply a brilliant plugin.

Here's an example of it on female vocals (skip ahead about half way into the video)

Old 1st September 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for the tips guys! They are precious! Here is a new original music video called "See You". I use Navy2 from Acustica-Audio and it is so smooth. I also have new Focal Alpha 80 studio monitors and they are so wonderful! Everything sounds more CLEAR! And I also bought the new reverb Relab Sonsig Rev-A! Wow!!! What a fantastic reverb!!! It's so dreamy! Please don't hesitate if you have any constructive feedback for us! Thanks a lot!

Old 11th September 2019
Here for the gear

Hey guys! Here is a new original music video from Julia Westlin "You and I". I used a lot of Acustica Audio Navy2 to mix this project and I love the sound I get from it. I also used the Relab Sonsig Rev-A reverb for this nice smooth tail. Please feel free to tell us what you think about this new project! Thanks a lot guys!

Old 3rd October 2019
Here for the gear

New song "Diamond" from Julia Westlin! Any feedback?

Hey guys!

We just released a new original music video from Julia Westlin. This one has a different style. I'm always open to hear feedback on our productions as we are only two people working on both the audio & video. So any thoughts is more than welcome! Thanks a lot!

Old 30th October 2019
Here for the gear

Hey guys!

We just published a new video online. It's a cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Julia is using a new microphone. A "Earthworks SR314". We are amazed by the clarity and tone of that microphone. I of course still need to adjust EQs on Julia's voice but compared to the Shure SM7B, it's more "clean". That said, sometimes I really feel like if I hear distortion on the vocals but I'm kind of confused. Is it in her voice or is it the mic? Not sure! I used SonSig reverb again. I also used many plugins from Acustica Audio when mixing. Here is the video:

Thanks for your feedbacks!
Old 24th December 2019
Here for the gear

Hey guys! Julia just released her new original song "Awaken" from her new album of the same name. We filmed this video in the beautiful Théatre Granada here in Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada. Such a wonderful place! Once again, I'm always looking forward to hear your feedbacks! Thanks!

Old 1st January 2020
Gear Nut
Hey David, so I discovered this thread and have been listening to a bunch of songs you linked here and a few on the youtube channel.

So far I have to say that "Diamond" is my favorite by large.
First of all, the song is nice and the arrangement and sounds work pretty good. Actually must have played it like 3 or 4 times in a row.

Vocals are pretty damn close to perfect on this one. The balance is very nice, the tone is great. I think on other songs you tend to make them slightly more "closer" by some emphasis in the low mids, but I kinda feel sometimes that is a hair too much. What are your (you&Julia) thoughts on how to sit the vocal to the song, the relation to the listener and other instrumental parts?
Old 2nd January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmilani View Post
Hey David, so I discovered this thread and have been listening to a bunch of songs you linked here and a few on the youtube channel.

So far I have to say that "Diamond" is my favorite by large.
First of all, the song is nice and the arrangement and sounds work pretty good. Actually must have played it like 3 or 4 times in a row.

Vocals are pretty damn close to perfect on this one. The balance is very nice, the tone is great. I think on other songs you tend to make them slightly more "closer" by some emphasis in the low mids, but I kinda feel sometimes that is a hair too much. What are your (you&Julia) thoughts on how to sit the vocal to the song, the relation to the listener and other instrumental parts?
Thank you so much for your feedbacks! One interesting fact, after "Diamond", we started using a new microphone "Earthworks SR314" but finally we are going back to record with the Shure SM7B as we prefer the final sound. It sounds less agressive to the ears. More pleasant. I believe that's what you hear as well in the most recent songs.

To answer your question, when I mix Julia's songs, I always want to have her voice really infront! I usually keep one instrument more infront as well, for example a piano or an acoustic guitar. But all the rest becomes background. My goal is for the listener to really listen to Julia's vocals. I have been using less reverb lately on her vocals to keep them more authentic but it really depends of each project.

Thank you SO MUCH for your feedbacks again! Its really helpful for us! Big hug from both of us!
Old 2nd January 2020
Here for the gear

New original song by Julia Westlin! I really love this one! Mixing this project was also a lot of fun! We did go back to record with the Shure SM7B. For some reasons, the sound of the Earthworks SR314 is more harsh to our ears. The SM7B is more warm sounding. We would also like to wish everyone and happy new year 2020, full of love and music projects! Once again, we are looking forward to hear your feedback on this new song from Julia! Thanks a lot!

Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Hey guys! :D Happy Valentine's Day to each one of you! I would like to share with you our newest original music production called "Reason and Rhyme" from Julia Westlin. I have been listening to your feedback and I try as much as I can to apply them to my workflow. For example, I started to use Soothe2 to tame some of the mid-high frequencies that are too dominant. I also upgraded of PC so I can use more of the Acustica Audio plugins! I love them! Such a rich sound! Please feel free to share your thoughts as I always look forward to improve our mixes. Thanks a lot! Take care!

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search