The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
First mix with SSL Sigma and Nucleus 2 Control Surfaces
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

First mix with SSL Sigma and Nucleus 2

Hi,

For the past few weeks, I’ve been learning the SSL Sigma and Nucleus 2.

I have an instrumental work in progress mix but as I play, record and mix everything myself, I have kind of mixed myself into a circle. I need another pair of ears.

My mix is going from the Sigma out to a stereo pair of Warm Audio Pultecs and then into an SSL 500 series G Bus compressor.

I’m only lightly touching it with the bus compressor, around 2db gain reduction.

I have a way to go to feel fully comfortable with this new hybrid summing setup and before I start on the vocals, I just need some constructive criticism of this mix.

By the way, there is no automation yet between parts and sections. I just need to know if there are any serious problems with it before I move to the next step.

Learning the Sigma and Nucleus has been one hell of a steep learning curve but I’m hopefully getting better with them every day.

Thank you in advance.

The link is below..

Last edited by blinduncledallas; 1 week ago at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Over compressed. Drums are thin and get lost in the mix. Guitars are LLOOUDD. To many things in the mix competing and masking each other.
I would worry about the mix, not the mixdown.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecandy View Post
Over compressed. Drums are thin and get lost in the mix. Guitars are LLOOUDD. To many things in the mix competing and masking each other.
I would worry about the mix, not the mixdown.
Thanks for taking the time to listen to it.

It’s a bitter pill to swallow but I need to go back to square one and look at the eq, compression and make a lot of changes.

This is my first time out of the box and I’m learning ten things at once. I have few outboard that I’m trying to get used to too. I was never a good mixer in the first place (I’ve always had others record me) so I’m trying to learn it all at once.

I’ve clearly a lot to learn and will work very hard to get better.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search