The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Finally got Big Bass Brian to Master One Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 8th July 2017
Lives for gear

Finally got Big Bass Brian to Master One

Hey guys, so I've always wanted to use Big Bass Brian Gardner but never had the project that I could use him on until now.
Very excited to see what he does to the song.
I've tried some online Mastering free options like E-Mastering and Landr etc and they were ok.
I was just not impressed so I decided to go all out and get thee man.
It's an R&B/Hip Hop joint and we are goi g to be releasing it for free on SoundCloud/YouTube as a promotional intro for her.
Maybe after he has done his magic, I'll post here with A/B's of what he's done and those online services.

Marc
Old 9th July 2017
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Hey guys, so I've always wanted to use Big Bass Brian Gardner but never had the project that I could use him on until now.
Very excited to see what he does to the song.
I've tried some online Mastering free options like E-Mastering and Landr etc and they were ok.
I was just not impressed so I decided to go all out and get thee man.
It's an R&B/Hip Hop joint and we are goi g to be releasing it for free on SoundCloud/YouTube as a promotional intro for her.
Maybe after he has done his magic, I'll post here with A/B's of what he's done and those online services.

Marc
Please post the mix as well. Thank you.
Old 9th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
Please post the mix as well. Thank you.
Will do.

Marc
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

Just got Brian's Masters back and it's not even fair.
Brian is a beast. Wow...
I have one more online Mastering place to send me back their #1 Online
Mastering mix.

Very interesting what Brian did.
How huge and very solid he made the song.
Played it in the car and I could not stop smiling.

I'm not a mastering engineer and I'm not even going to
try what he did.

Hhhmmm, maybe I'll upload the mix and let you guys take a stab since it's already Mastered.

Who would like to see how they compare to BG?

Marc
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

This is potentially turning into a very cool thread. Thanks for your efforts Marc.
Old 10th July 2017
Would love to hear. I've shot out against Brian in the past but before and afters are always cool to check out.
Old 10th July 2017
Gear Addict

+1, before and afters are always interesting.

Thanks in advance for sharing, Marc.
Old 10th July 2017
Well done on getting yourself some "badass" mastering guy
Old 14th July 2017
Lives for gear

Sorry, for the delay. Had to wait to get clearance before I could post it even though it's my song, my artist and we're releasing it for free....lol

Anyway, I'll post tonight and let the fun begin.

Thanks Guys,

Marc
Old 14th July 2017
Lives for gear
sorry....typo police....can you edit the thread title to spell the guy's name correctly?
Old 14th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
sorry....typo police....can you edit the thread title to spell the guy's name correctly?
But doesn't Mr Gardner have a big bass brain as well?

I first discovered this giant of our profession in the mid 90s. We used to get a lot of library music CDs sent to the studio where I worked, and quite by chance I came across a 'genre' hip hop album he'd mastered, and which very few will probably ever hear: I think it was a good recording to start with, but the final effect was outstanding in every way. Fortunately (and unusually for library music) there was a mastering credit, and I was certainly going to remember that name.
Old 14th July 2017
Lives for gear
i'm sure mr gardner's noggin is quite sizable indeed! but brain is the praxis/primus/etc drummer.
Old 14th July 2017
Lives for gear
hey it's fixed! awesome.
Old 14th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
I was kinda enjoying the idea of a big bass brain.
Old 15th July 2017
Hey Marc,

Nice thread. would love to hear before and afters myself too.
but hasn't he retired from Bernie Grundman's? wasn't a thread around here I guess about his retirement? or did I got that wrong. or he's working from home or something?
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Alright guys, I finally got the ok. It's a Saturday and I know your ready to have fun on the weekend.

The song is out and here are both the mix I sent Brian and
the master he did.

Love to hear what you guys can do.

Not a lot of guys would do this but, I'd actually love to hear what you guys would do to this mix.

I on purpose gave Brian the mix with no limiting and made sure I mixed around -6db so he would have a lot of headroom to do what he does.

To me, he killed it.

I'll also post what Landr and e-mastering did as well in another post.

Let's just start here first.

First, let me know what you guys think of the mix and let me hear what you would do to make it stand out.

Then please let me know what you used to get your amazing sound.

Let me know if you are all ITB or OTB.

Lastly, post a picture of your amazing studio. I'd love to see where you work.

Alright, let's see what you've learned from Gearslutz and how you compare to Brian Big Bass Gardner.

Here is the link to both.

https://we.tl/H5ezaYQwh6

The artist is River Smith
She is my artist

Thanks as always guys.... Let's do it.

Marc

Last edited by M2E; 15th July 2017 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: Forgot The Artist name...Oh great
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

This is no loudness war entry
Am I in the wrong thread? :X
ITB
https://www.sendspace.com/file/saqbz7
Old 16th July 2017
DAH
Lives for gear

Thanks again for the thread and sharing. I am no way a mastering guy or a mixer, just a former self-producing-mixing rapper with no gear, so no mastering version from my side.
Just some notes: mix to me is great already. When I listened to the files I had to pull the master down about 14 dB to get the equal loudness, so if you say you sent the mix -6 dBFS peak, then Brian has pushed it 8 dBs past the ceiling, that says a lot about his experience and talent...
The master is a bit more constant and "comfy" loudnesswise but fuller in terms of "in you face" picture. And the a little bit too loud snare was calmed down. Great work both in mixing and mastering (production and performance as well, don't get me wrog!).
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
Thanks again for the thread and sharing. I am no way a mastering guy or a mixer, just a former self-producing-mixing rapper with no gear, so no mastering version from my side.
Just some notes: mix to me is great already. When I listened to the files I had to pull the master down about 14 dB to get the equal loudness, so if you say you sent the mix -6 dBFS peak, then Brian has pushed it 8 dBs past the ceiling, that says a lot about his experience and talent...
The master is a bit more constant and "comfy" loudnesswise but fuller in terms of "in you face" picture. And the a little bit too loud snare was calmed down. Great work both in mixing and mastering (production and performance as well, don't get me wrog!).
Thx, yeah Brian is a beast man. I was surprised how loud he got it but maintained everything the way it was but made everything in yo face without being 2d and lifeless.
He gave it life in a louder field I guess.

I love it, the artist loves it and I've heard nothing but incredible things from everyone.

Thx for your post!

Keep'em coming!!!

Marc
Old 17th July 2017
Hey Marc, thanks for sharing!

Nice song, great mix!! Love it!
Here's my mastering version.)))
Please, have a listen.
OTB

https://we.tl/Tqa1YMERHd
Old 18th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Hi, here my master.

Link

I've used my OTB chain: Pom Fairchild, Curve Bender, Maselec MPL2, Foote P3s, Analog Box HG2 and the new entry Tubetech HLT2am.

Let me know what you think

Cheers
SM
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestmusichits View Post
Hey Marc, thanks for sharing!

Nice song, great mix!! Love it!
Here's my mastering version.)))
Please, have a listen.
OTB

https://we.tl/Tqa1YMERHd
Sounds cool.
A little darker vibe.
The end loses it power though and the compression sounds like it's struggling trying to keep it together.
Other than that, sounds pretty cool...

Thanks,

Marc
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusOfTrolls View Post
This is no loudness war entry
Am I in the wrong thread? :X
ITB
https://www.sendspace.com/file/saqbz7
Hey OpusOfTrolls,

I could care less about loudness as most times, I play my music low.
On the other hand, this is that young crowd who are going to play it loud and will always keep the punchiest, bangin'ist, biggest songs in their playlist.

With that said, I always keep that in mind unless I'm mixing a older more seasoned album and the artist just wants it to sound dynamic and great, then I would say that fits.

Anyway, I like the Master.
Seems more mid heavy though.
Also, in the end, doesn't seem as big, airy and wide.

Something about Brian's Master I noticed is the airy quality and that no matter how low you play it or no matter how loud, it still has it.
Don't know what that is but it adds to the Master.

Thanks for doing this,

Marc
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks for uploading these files. Those kind of comparissons are priceless.
I listen to mix and master and the one thing I like most on the master is how he was able to retain and enhance the snare punch even with this crazy loudness processing. Drawback is that bit honky tone of the master (I personally would prefer a bit smoother/even sound here for this kind of music). Another thing I noticed are those piercing spikes in the vocals at around 10k that he did not reduced (anyone here hears itthe same?).
Loudness its abit too much for my taste as the dense chorus suffers too much from that processing. But such is live, nothing comes for free (even if you are a legend....).
I will give it a try as well as soon as possible, but will be too busy til my holidays next week. Even when such a comparisson isnt fair as we all already have B.G.s master to compare too. Its a completly different approach to try to match or even beat it than just do a great master by your own from point zero. Nevertheless a great way to learn something, for all of us.

Last edited by JP__; 18th July 2017 at 01:59 PM..
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

This was a great learning experience to hear BBB master vs unprocessed. A huge thanks for sharing with us!

I thought the BBB master was absolutely phenomenal, a bit too loud perhaps, as JP said above.. the last chorus really does suffer from the loudness quite a bit. But the overall tonality and "stability" of the song is amazing! There's definitely a bit of energy in the 10k - 11kHz region but I don't think it's excessive, at least not here at home on my basic boom box. Could be a bit too much at the studio but as it's made for consumer systems I suspect it translates very well.

Anyhow, very much appreciated the before and after examples. Good mix too!
Old 19th July 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Mastering View Post
Hi, here my master.

Link

I've used my OTB chain: Pom Fairchild, Curve Bender, Maselec MPL2, Foote P3s, Analog Box HG2 and the new entry Tubetech HLT2am.

Let me know what you think

Cheers
SM
Awesome man. Love it.
Old 19th July 2017
Gear Addict

I'm going to be in the minority here but I didn't like the master as the tone of the mix changed too much for the worse. Like JP I was thinking it could be alot smoother for this R&B track with more mid lows/lows...too much mids and highs. When I first listened to it I was like....wow this is amazing but after a few listens it was painful to listen to.

One thing I did like is clarity in the vocals but IMO I though it was a bit to far as tone of the female lead vocals changed.

Don't get me wrong BG is an amazing ME and has done some of my fav records of all-time...but I kinda think he missed the mark on this one abit IMO. When think of songs in this genre, Tom Coyne masters come to mind, RIP, which are super smooth and rich sounding...but still loud sounding.

But at the end of the day who cares what I think...as long as the client is happy that is all that matters

Also the mix was well done and I think really had the potential to sound smoother and rich...just need a bit of de-ssing on the vocals...but otherwise good mix.

Last edited by mmarra; 19th July 2017 at 02:12 AM..
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post

I thought the BBB master was absolutely phenomenal, a bit too loud perhaps, as JP said above.. the last chorus really does suffer from the loudness quite a bit. But the overall tonality and "stability" of the song is amazing! There's definitely a bit of energy in the 10k - 11kHz region but I don't think it's excessive, at least not here at home on my basic boom box. Could be a bit too much at the studio but as it's made for consumer systems I suspect it translates very well.!
A bit off topic (and not aimed at BGs master at all): I often wondering about the focus to "master for a consumer system only". I never understand what this means in reality? Sometimes it just sounds like an excuse to me. Great speakers should show this kind of issues very well, a speaker from a mobile phone maybe not so much (but there are also crappy speakers which are quite sensitive in this area). So, Im wonderig if its just a speaker related issue (not even mastering speakers/DAs/MCs are equal transparent in all areas), depending on personal hearing preferences (unaltered transients vs s***** highs) or just lazyness (as those are often hard to tame while leaving the master as open sounding as possible)?
For me its one of those typical issues I had to intensively work on with any kind of vocal music as those are typical artefacts especially for cheaper/mediocre recording chains and its not easy to tame those as clean as possible. So to just leave them unaltered would be a welcome way for sure...
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

A LUFS of -8.5 to -9 would had made this mix a bit smoother. It hitting at about -7.5.

Thank You for posting.
Old 19th July 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks Marc for posting, cool mix, always fun.

ITB.
Fabfilter EQ, Coral EQ, some Decapitator and tiny bit of VCC.
Went for 'cleaner' low-mids, the choruses especially at the end sounded a bit chaotic at these levels, so tried something a little different,little smoother.
taurean master
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search