The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix Off: The Fiasco 'Rise Again' Pop/Rock (YouMeAtSix, Yellowcard, All Time Low etc) Electric Guitar
Old 3rd July 2017
Gear Head
@bigadd0 hey I'd love your feedback on my mix -- or from anyone else that would kindly care. I managed to put some decent work on it and did a 2nd version. In my attempt and far-reaching imagination this mix is a CLA-style mix
Attached Files

Last edited by pmilani; 9th August 2017 at 10:00 AM..
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

to me, the bass is growing into some kind of backpipe sound (the low passlve pipes), just wondering...
Old 7th July 2017
Gear Nut
Here is my version of of the song.
Bigdadd0 stated he liked big roomy drums (so do I), so that's the route I went
A pretty good deal of automation went into this to try and underpin the crescendos and give bigger impact to the choruses.

https://u89735768.dl.dropboxusercont...se%20Again.mp3
Old 10th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Alvarez View Post
Listen to Joecandy, he really knows what he is talking about. After two weeks, my last mix attempt sounds totally BS to me. Though I will give this song a go again, after watching MWTM videos, I have some ideas.
Yeah same here. I listened the day after and it sounded like ****. Phase issues and stuff. I went to deep with software eq, cutting and boosting.
My computer speakers are good, but I use a sub to. Hence low mids where not really there. Gonna remix using my headphones insted. Hate mixing thru headphones though....
A great song, should be easy enough to do a good mix......
Cheers
Johan
Old 13th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmj View Post
Yeah same here. I listened the day after and it sounded like ****. Phase issues and stuff. I went to deep with software eq, cutting and boosting.
My computer speakers are good, but I use a sub to. Hence low mids where not really there. Gonna remix using my headphones insted. Hate mixing thru headphones though....
A great song, should be easy enough to do a good mix......
Cheers
Johan
Yep,

I've still been playing with this song. Somehow I can't make my mixes "listenable", here's the latest one.

This song is really testing my mixing knowledge.
Attached Files

FIASCO_005_MP3.mp3 (8.70 MB, 968 views)

Old 13th July 2017
Lives for gear

roberto, due to the many tracks and offered details, I think the technical part can only be solved after one develops a very tight and opinionated concept about the song itself. then, with some mild compromise, it can be materialized, given one has quite some allround knowledge on the subject.
you are done, when listeners completely forget that there is such a thing as a mix, and hear a good band with a hot song.
the sound is a bit this or that, given smartphone earplugs or whatever, we love the band.

I don't ask myself "is my mix good", but "does the band sound good, does it rock?"
that's also the reason I do the video. I want to feel it as a whole.

Last edited by NeoVXR; 13th July 2017 at 01:33 AM..
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Just loading all of the tracks into my daw and hitting play sounded great. So then I decided to mess it up lol. Tracking was really nice though, I liked having the room sounds for the kick, snare, and toms.

I would still call this a rough mix. Usually i'd take it out to the car and see what jumps out at me, but I haven't done that yet. Hopefully some you guys can give your opinion on it. Thanks for checking it out.

And thanks for posting these multitracks. Really nice to work with.
Attached Files

00-Rise Again MixV1-p2p.mp3 (8.81 MB, 868 views)

Old 22nd July 2017
Lives for gear

@pmilani I have listened to your mix and I liked it expecially the vocals and the effects.
Can I ask you some informations on it, please?
Old 22nd July 2017
Lives for gear

Attached Files

The-Fiasco-Rise-Again-v2.mp3 (8.23 MB, 786 views)

Old 24th July 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy3 View Post
@pmilani Can I ask you some informations on it, please?
Sure, fire away. Feel free to PM if not of public interest.
Old 26th July 2017
Lives for gear

This is a fun tune to play around with and I can appreciate someone willing to put the tracks up for us to dick about with, so thanks for that Adam. I am old school digital here so I don't have the unlimited tracks to play around with as I am sure most of the other mixer guys and gals have access to, which would be really helpful with a song that starts off the bat with 30ish BGV tracks and a boatload (20ish) of guitars. Through brute force and ignorance (A Rory Gallagher reference) I massaged these tracks down to a workable 24 tracks on my rig. I kept it pretty straight forward as the tune seems pretty strong on its' own in my opinion.

Some techie notes for those interested in that sort of thing, this was all mixed on an old d8b/HDR combo with loads of outboard gear.

The master buss was treated with an A-designs Nail into an A-designs EM-EQ2 with a lift way down around 30hz and a lift at 16k, no more than a couple of db or 3. This is after an D/A conversion with an Apogee AD8000 with soft limit on so I could hit these analog boxes. After the analog treatment, it is back to the 8000 to go A/D to hit an L2 just for some slight volume boost. I am taking off no more than half a db or so with as it gets crunchy pretty quick if you hit it too hard.

Of course there were other treatments per track and all the usual jazz you do.

Anyway, this is how I heard it. You never really finish a mix, you just give up...

https://app.box.com/s/psxs2ic4010s4xlo9ly3ince9ye4bu00

Also added one mix that is a touch brighter than the original I had done.
Attached Files

Rise Again 2.mp3 (8.60 MB, 717 views)

Rise Again 3 5K +1.75db.mp3 (8.63 MB, 460 views)

Last edited by Crash; 21st October 2017 at 11:24 PM..
Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

yay! I like it a lot!
for this song, serious hardware is a game changer. things fall in place much smoother.
Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoVXR View Post
yay! I like it a lot!
for this song, serious hardware is a game changer. things fall in place much smoother.
Glad ya dug it. I think the only plug-ins I used were a Desser and an amp sim to dirty up the bass guitar. The rest is all old school boxes, like a Sony R7, SPX990, Lexicon 300, TC Electronic M1XL, Eventide 2016, Groove Tubes Glory Comp, Groove Tubes CL1s, Eventide 4000, TNC 1084 ChiNeve clone, plus the master buss stuff mentioned up there with the link.

Last edited by Crash; 1st August 2017 at 12:53 PM..
Old 8th August 2017
Gear Head
So I mixed yet another version, hopefully the last
This time I approached the mix in a mindset of keeping things simple and organic. I eliminated many layers of eq'ing and processing. In the final result the mix overall sounds darker than my previous attempts but I think it works better.
Attached Files

Last edited by pmilani; 9th August 2017 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: reuploaded file, forgot to switch on a couple of plugins
Old 9th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmilani View Post
So I mixed yet another version, hopefully the last
This time I approached the mix in a mindset of keeping things simple and organic. I eliminated many layers of eq'ing and processing. In the final result the mix overall sounds darker than my previous attempts but I think it works better.
I kinda like Mix 2 better, other than the OH's sound slightly loud and harsh to me. Just my $1.50 opinion.
Old 10th August 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I kinda like Mix 2 better, other than the OH's sound slightly loud and harsh to me. Just my $1.50 opinion.
Arrrr... totally, you're right man, checked mix3 on my K271 headphones and sounds quite crappy :(
there is strong buildup in mid-lows and misses clarity.
I realize that my room _sucks_ big time.
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmilani View Post
Arrrr... totally, you're right man, checked mix3 on my K271 headphones and sounds quite crappy :(
there is strong buildup in mid-lows and misses clarity.
I realize that my room _sucks_ big time.
I think if you tweak mix 2 overheads, you'll be there.
Old 21st October 2017
Gear Nut

Here is my mix, tell me what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigadd0 View Post
Hi everyone,

I've posted a few mix-offs before in the past which I've really enjoyed listening back to. My band, The Fiasco, are back with a new 5-track E.P. 'Rise Again'

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/ri...p/id1223598336

I have decided to put the title track 'Rise Again' up here available for a mix-off. I heard some great mixes last time so looking forward to hearing this new one.

Here is the released version of the track for reference:

And here are the multis:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fx6w2xq2nd...38BPM.zip?dl=0

For those interested here is some info on the tracks:

Drums: SSD4 plus CLA expansion samples added. Played on a Mapex Birch kit, triggered through a TD9 module.

Bass: Fender Jazz, Key bass - Trillian

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Fender American Deluxe Telecaster, Fender USA Strat, Vox AC15, Orange Tiny Terror, Egnater Tweaker, Shure SM57s, sE VR1s. Neve 1073, WA TB12, One or 2 tracks may have been S-GEAR 2.

Vocals: Mojave MA200 & AKG 414 XLS, Neve 1073 DPD, WA TB12, Teletronix LA2A.

Feedback welcome on tracking and the mix. I will do the same for any mixes posted.

Happy mixing,

Adam
Attached Files

Rise Again_1.mp3 (9.72 MB, 453 views)

Old 22nd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960strat View Post
Here is my mix, tell me what you think
Did you mix into a limiter?
Old 22nd October 2017
Gear Nut

Def

I mixed into a RND MBP -> bae1023 -> burl n2 add OTB the crushed the mix with sonnox plugins itb. I don't normally crush things like this but it was a good song to try it on

Quote:
Did you mix into a limiter?
Old 22nd October 2017
Gear Nut

Try again

Here is a second shot. Toned down the over compression and bass. Tried to even it out too. The youtube version is very heavy midrange, which i carved out. Please critique and tell me what i am doing wrong. This is a great learning process

Quote:
I mixed into a RND MBP -> bae1023 -> burl n2 add OTB the crushed the mix with sonnox plugins itb. I don't normally crush things like this but it was a good song to try it on
Attached Files

Rise Again_2.mp3 (8.54 MB, 350 views)

Old 23rd October 2017
Quote:
Here is a second shot. Toned down the over compression and bass. Tried to even it out too. The youtube version is very heavy midrange, which i carved out. Please critique and tell me what i am doing wrong. This is a great learning process
Hi.
Think the kick and snare dominates too much of the space. They don't feel connected to the other instruments.
Try making the overheads and/or room tracks sound good and compliment them with the kick and snare. Maybe compress all the drums together more and less on individual kit pieces.
Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Check your monitoring (or hearing problems?). The mix is leaning heavily to the left. Even the first mix you posted, which was almost completely mono, leaned to the left.

Also, the Youtube version is NOT "very heavy midrange" as you put it. This means you definitely are suffering from some monitoring / acoustic problems. Yes, there's some midrange but definitely within subjective artistic limits (+/- 1dB in any direction would work.. personally I'd cut at around 500Hz with a very wide Q about -1dB from the whole mix.. or perhaps just on the guitar bus). It's also perhaps a tiny bit on the dark side (which can also translate to "midrange heavy").

It's a good tip for everybody reading this: The original Youtube mix is by far the best so far. It's a GOOD mix. A very good one and there is absolutely nothing at all technically "wrong" with it. It is the reference that should be used for the basic tonality/frequency response.

Anything that heavily deviates from this is probably going to sound worse.. unless somebody can come up with a truly different secondary take on the song (haven't downloaded the source files yet so I don't know what can be changed or how much freedom there is). If it is as I suspect, the objectively correct way to go about it (tonality wise) is the way the original is mixed. Z axis depth and space.. panning etc can of course be very different.. and all the relative volumes of the elements.. but the frequency stability and coherence is spot on in my opinion, on the original mix.
Old 24th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I still feel like there is some serious abuse going on with your two bus processing in my opinion. Like the others said, kick and snare or pretty hot in the mix as is the vocal. This one is better than the first attempt.
Old 27th October 2017
Here for the gear

My Mix

Thank you for sharing this song. It was fun to work on, and a challenge to keep the feel both guitar heavy but powerful drums and leaving space for the vocals. I made a couple changes on the guitar, including mixing some sound to left vs. right, keep only the left guitars for the bridge, and trying to keep the driving rhythm more heavily in the choruses. For bass I used some key bass in the versus and added some light distortion on choruses. I added some sampling to the drums, but more subtle to keep their original sound with some added smack.

I tried to keep the feel of the vocals of the original mix and the feel of the background vocals in the chorus, and added the extra vocals + pan to the bridge that is in the video.

Let me know you think!
Attached Files

The Fiasco - Rise Again.mp3 (8.65 MB, 250 views)

Old 13th November 2017
Gear Nut

Round 3

Here we go....
Attached Files

Rise Again_3.mp3 (8.68 MB, 212 views)

Old 13th November 2017
Quote:
Here we go....
Better.
But the kick and snare does not glue with the other instruments. Especially the snare is too loud. Use more room or overheads.
Old 13th November 2017
Here for the gear

Long time time listener, first time poster (Actually, I used to have an GS account years ago, but seemed to have misplaced it). Anyway, I've been completely absent from the music industry for about 10 years, but have been messing around with mixing again over the last couple months. Did a lot of experimenting with some techniques I haven't really explored much before (like parallel compression and saturation) and took a shot at this song. See what you think, and be gentle as I'm a work in progress...well, aren't we all?
Attached Files

Rise Again - JC320.mp3 (8.69 MB, 139 views)

Last edited by JayCutler; 13th November 2017 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: Higher Bitrate MP3
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCutler View Post
.... and be gentle as I'm a work in progress...well, aren't we all?
Ya never really finish a mix, you just give up. Not bad after a 10 year absence.
Old 14th November 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Ya never really finish a mix, you just give up. Not bad after a 10 year absence.
...and I've given up on a lot of them! Thanks for giving it a listen.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search