The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
new hiphop mix "You Can't Risk That"
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Addict

new hiphop mix "You Can't Risk That"

lol y'all fools are gonna hear our whole album before it's done if i keep posting this stuff on here. but i need the help since we can't afford a professional mix engineer.

The strings in this are still being worked on, so ignore the click track you hear behind them.
Anybody got any blaring issues with this mix?

http://www.somobe.com/youcantriskthat_revision.mp3

thanks guys
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

I really would like to help you, but I would definately think about rearranging the instrumental before thinking about how to mix that stuff!

I would play the strings a lot higher! I would work on a more groovy bass figure and think about something else! Some nice FX or some short sounds.

At all I do not know what you wanna achieve, but this track is a bit boring to me in the moment! So you should think about melody and stuff!

Best regards,

Andrewj
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Head

I think this is just a few ideas short of finished. I realy like moments of this. The overall feel is realy good. What's with the strings though? I don't agree with pitching them up higher, I think it's just the quality of the sample. It would sound brilliant with a real string section of course, but blah,blah,blah.

Only other thing is the beat. It's good, but I was waiting for the drums and bass to suddenly kick in...do you know what I mean?

I think this has real promise. The general idea is one of the best things I've heard on here, in terms of commercial potential.

Was the string part written by you? Whats the deal with the STRINGS!!!
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed1234 View Post
I think this is just a few ideas short of finished. I realy like moments of this. The overall feel is realy good. What's with the strings though? I don't agree with pitching them up higher, I think it's just the quality of the sample. It would sound brilliant with a real string section of course, but blah,blah,blah.

Only other thing is the beat. It's good, but I was waiting for the drums and bass to suddenly kick in...do you know what I mean?

I think this has real promise. The general idea is one of the best things I've heard on here, in terms of commercial potential.

Was the string part written by you? Whats the deal with the STRINGS!!!
thanks for your ears guys. the strings in this case ARE actually live strings. Like I said, they are being worked on. I have some sampled strings under there, i'm still trying to get that stuff to sit right though, the balance between the 2 i mean.

i gotta take another listen real quick, cause i though the drums and bass were sitting nicely. i'll be back
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Addict

ok just listened again. i don't know, i like the drums. could you be more specific about what you think is missing on them. one thing thats in my mind during this song is "showcase the message" so maybe i'm a little lean on other stuff going on.

the string def need some work, but i knew that already. the sampled strings have a lot more body then the small section of live violins and violas. i've just gotta get the right balance of the samples body and the live expression.

i'm going to keep listening to see if i hear a melody that needs to be there, although i'm usually a stickler about melody, and this song never sounded like it was missing that element.

holler

ok, just listened again. maybe a cheesy synth lead (i say that in all seriousness). something really infectious. i can hear it now yo
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Head

Instead of a synth lead, which I feel may ruin the atmosphere (but of course I havn't heard what you'd do) how about a female vocal, shadowing the string line? Tear the **** out the vocal EQ, add a bit of psuedo record scratchiness to it, give it a bit of charctor, and layer that in?

Yeah, the strings were a puzzle and now I know why!! Why did you layer sampled strings in with the real strings?

Yeah the drums are fine. I just can't hear much bass. Could be my ****ty speakers, but I understand you want the vocal narrative to carry the tune, and don't wanna impede on that.

I'd love to hear the changes you make!
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed1234 View Post
Instead of a synth lead, which I feel may ruin the atmosphere (but of course I havn't heard what you'd do) how about a female vocal, shadowing the string line? Tear the **** out the vocal EQ, add a bit of psuedo record scratchiness to it, give it a bit of charctor, and layer that in?

Yeah, the strings were a puzzle and now I know why!! Why did you layer sampled strings in with the real strings?

Yeah the drums are fine. I just can't hear much bass. Could be my ****ty speakers, but I understand you want the vocal narrative to carry the tune, and don't wanna impede on that.

I'd love to hear the changes you make!
yeah, can't do another song with a female vocal. it'll just make the album onesided. got enough of them already lol. i will figure this out. i tend to
hear the potential of a song over all else, so after my initial love affair with
the fundamental soul of a song, i can usually break it down and make it shine.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Nut

Nice beat..Sounds too much like a freestyle and not a song.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search