The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Heavy pop/rock, please help, first post.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Head

Heavy pop/rock, please help, first post.

Cali AC.

I am going into recording with these guys again.

I have 2 samples of my work with them done at 2 different times in completely different settings.

Sample A: Was done in a 10x10 room, with a Presonus Firepod and 5 mics.
Not one mic used cost over 170$
Tom's snare and bass are sampled.

Sample B: This is actually an older recording, but I had access to better gear and an actual room. "Focusrite Pre's, better mics, and better converters"
Toms are blended 50/50 with samples. Snare and bass are real.
Vox were done on a Cad tube mic. I liked it allot, and im going to use it again this time around.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback or tips, it will help very much with the stuff I plan to record in a few weeks. I just bought Steven Slate samples, so we should be good for snares, toms, and bass drums. Any suggestions on micing cymbals, I only have access to 4 Cad M179's and two AKG C 1000's for overheads/rides and hats. I might be able to grab a dragon fly, im not sure. Thats my biggest concern at the moment.

A: Don't Leave Me In Dark.
http://download.yousendit.com/3E44B05A7501D987

B: Word That Screams.
http://download.yousendit.com/089C791E43D169E3

Thanks so much guys..

Last edited by Bigbuzzum; 25th January 2007 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: Bad title
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

I think both of these are fantastic. Really. The low end is great.

The drums on both sound great with a nice snap that cuts through the guitars, which you have made nice and thick by panning one pair wide and one pair less then wide (at least thats what I hear).

On B, the end is a bit much on the whole track, heard especially on the vocal and hi hat.

The BIGGEST issue is one you can easily fix, and its the MP3 conversion! I'm hearing a lot of MP3 artifacts. I would highly recommend using WINLAME at 256kbps. I'd really want to hear these AGAIN with the better conversion because are fantastic.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Head

Recordings great! Sounds realy professional even with the mp3 conversion. You obviously know this style inside out.

Don't think you need much advice mate. To be finickity about it there's a few tuning issues with a few of the guitar harmonies, and the ride/crash sounds a bit sqaushed, could be the mp3 conversion of course.

Which leads me to ask: Who's the emo vocalist who sings on every emo recording? He must be minted!!!heh
Old 26th January 2007
Deleted 41c1fe9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed1234 View Post

Which leads me to ask: Who's the emo vocalist who sings on every emo recording? He must be minted!!!heh
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Head

Thumbs up

Sounds great man! I have a firepod and that sounds really great with the firepod. How did you mike the drums?
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy07x View Post
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA

What a twat you must be
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Head

With the firepod..

I miced the toms with Radio Shack "Dynamic Instrument Mic's", they look like the senhisers with drum clips, actually, they look identical, they made them 5 years ago, and have stopped since then. They sound good, a little more thickness then a 57. Snare was an Audix i5, bass was a 57 being that we knew we wanted to trigger. I miced the overhead with a AKG Perception.

This recording was a deal where the band had no money, and I had no gear.

I was careful with mic placement with the snare, so I could pick up the hats. Also the overhead, so I can get the ride.

This time around were going with 11 mics as far as drums go. Octavia Pencil condensers for the room, Cad M179 for the overheads, D112 for the bass, i5 for the snare, 57 for the bottom, Audix D2 for hi tom, Audix D4 for the low tom, Blue Dragonfly for the ride and a Nuemann Kms105 for the hats. The heads, hats, and ride are going to be run through a Focusrite MH441 ISA428. Everything else will be firepod. It should be alot better then what I have now.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbuzzum View Post
With the firepod..

I miced the toms with Radio Shack "Dynamic Instrument Mic's", they look like the senhisers with drum clips, actually, they look identical, they made them 5 years ago, and have stopped since then. They sound good, a little more thickness then a 57. Snare was an Audix i5, bass was a 57 being that we knew we wanted to trigger. I miced the overhead with a AKG Perception.

This recording was a deal where the band had no money, and I had no gear.

I was careful with mic placement with the snare, so I could pick up the hats. Also the overhead, so I can get the ride.

This time around were going with 11 mics as far as drums go. Octavia Pencil condensers for the room, Cad M179 for the overheads, D112 for the bass, i5 for the snare, 57 for the bottom, Audix D2 for hi tom, Audix D4 for the low tom, Blue Dragonfly for the ride and a Nuemann Kms105 for the hats. The heads, hats, and ride are going to be run through a Focusrite MH441 ISA428. Everything else will be firepod. It should be alot better then what I have now.
Hey man, thanks for the reply. I am still pretty new to recoriding. Have you been recording for awhile because honestly, those recordings sound really great! Especially with the gear you used.

P.S - I like how I spelled mic in my original post. WOW! must have been really tired.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Addict

RE: Don't leave me in the dark.

I like this, but I'm wondering if the amount of limiting is strictly necessary...

Listening at home on a mini-Me with DT990s, (baby daughter asleep), I felt the vox could do with a dB or so at the beginning. I like to listen loud then at typical "pod" volumes. The second listen didn't work so well.

Personally I'd like to hear the original mix, I think quite a lot of your hard work may have been lost in the final processing. It all felt a bit too crushed for me.

Great track though.

Love and peace.

Reg
Attached Thumbnails
Heavy pop/rock, please help, first post.-clipped.gif  
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Head

Yea, everything is really smashed, so smashed the background vox are too loud and the cymbals sound like junk.

This was my first real attempt of recording alone, with my own crappy gear, I might re mix one of the three songs, when I record the new cd, I might resample the drums with the Slate stuff that should be here in the mail, ill free up head room and let stuff breath, we will see.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search