The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Offcourse, feedback this one as well, please
Old 23rd January 2007
Here for the gear

Offcourse, feedback this one as well, please

Hello,

As a newby on this side off the net, i would like feedback on a cover.
It`s originaly from RHCP, but a friend wanted to record it at my place.
I have in my livingroom a PC with Cubase and a rode NT-1A, through a focusrite Penta and a RME hammerfall. This is how i recorded it. The drums came from Groove agent, with a litlle adjustments from me. (midi)
Guitar has been done by another friend who has some simular stuff at his place and later I recorded the bass played by somebody else.
The guitarist and me are having some more fun with it, by doing our own mixversion and he is approaching it differently.
This version is mastered a bit, but not to much.

I`m excited to hear from engineers.
Zephersongmix.mp3
thnx for your trouble
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Head

Hi musicdog!

Liked the vocals. The mix sounded just the bad side of empty. I liked the air and space on the vocals, but there's no bass as far as I can tell. I know Flea plays one of his dire faux-naive parts up high in the original and I could make that out here, but it needs more 'bollocks' as they say in 'Rockstar'.

Snare sounded pretty good, but there's major groove problems on the chorus, not helped by intrusive cymbal samples. Can you get the crashes a bit further back in the mix. Again high hat kills the illusion of real drums totally which is a concern in such a transparent mix.

Guitars need more 'body'.

If you need anymore pointless adjectives just give us a call!
Old 24th January 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed1234 View Post
Hi musicdog!

Liked the vocals. The mix sounded just the bad side of empty. I liked the air and space on the vocals, but there's no bass as far as I can tell. I know Flea plays one of his dire faux-naive parts up high in the original and I could make that out here, but it needs more 'bollocks' as they say in 'Rockstar'.

Snare sounded pretty good, but there's major groove problems on the chorus, not helped by intrusive cymbal samples. Can you get the crashes a bit further back in the mix. Again high hat kills the illusion of real drums totally which is a concern in such a transparent mix.

Guitars need more 'body'.

If you need anymore pointless adjectives just give us a call!
Hi Ed,

thnx for the remarks. I`ll see what i can do with it. It`s nice to hear some things are OK thumbsup
A litlle trouble on the bass side. the song is transposed a few tone higher and i didn`t use any boostingFX on it. I`ll experiment a bit on that.
Then the drums: my buddy has send me a mix with other drumsamples in it and i liked it more than those that i used. I`m gonna ask him to give me those and insert them into the song. remembering the quote about hihat and crashes in the chorus. I`ll post the result soon.
ps: there are no pointless adjectives, only positive critazism
Anybody else?

grtz Peter

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search