The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Could you please lend an ear
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Addict

Could you please lend an ear

Please fellow sluts, tell me your opinions on this mix of a band i am producing, i am trying to wrap this tune up and any input would mean alot...my ears are dead on this one...

cheers

Jilly
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Listening on crappy speakers, but i have a couple of suggestions:
I really like the guitars and song, but i suggest that you put the vocals louder (also less sibbilant highs more high-mids), fix the snare ( i think the snare is really weird sounding, very honkey), and put an EQ over the overall mix, and get a bit of muddyness out of it.

Also, try to separate the different instruments a little more with eq, so that it doesn't sound gluey.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Sounds a bit muddy in the lowmids/upper-bass here. I agree with Rogervandeberg to separate the different instruments more with eq. I'd mix the guitars also a bit quiter, they mask vocals and drums too much. The bassguitar is also very hard to hear and the snare could bite more.
Good luck...

Andreas
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

I think the vocals are a bit buried everywhere except the breakdown. You may need to automate them a bit. There's a bit of "Boink" on the snare (around 250-350Hz) that you may want to kill a little (no more than a db). The general "muddiness" seems like a mastering fix.

Other than that, the track rocks! Did you pan the snare around 2:55? That's the sort of thing that makes the "headphone people" want to listen again and again. (If you didn't pan the snare, I'm not suggesting you do just to make me happy, that means your mp3 encoder did some weirdness to the file.)

I don't think you should mess with the balances or the panning any more (except the vocal). When it's done, let me know where I can get a copy.

Totally,

I
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Addict

Thumbs up thanks guys...really!!!

You guys are always so helpful...i tell you...
Yes i did do a snare pan thing at 2:55, its so funny yo mentioned it, cus, i actually got sick of it and took it out on this mix, now i might wanna put it back in...anyways, please if you guys have time check out this remix and give me the goods...thanks again really...awesome guys!!!
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Addict

cant uplaod new mix

thanks agin guys...let me know what u think, i have been trying to upload this to the system 4 the last day but no dice, anyone know why i can't uplaod my mp3, it is not bigger than the specified upload size
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Addict

new mix

finally able to uplaod, please any new thoughts or critisism's would be greatly appreciated...

Jilly
Attached Files
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hi loosejaw,
your second mix is much better but I think it's still smeary. Don't know how to explain it, I miss punch, clearness, whatever...
Perhaps you're using a stereocomp which might be the causes?

Andreas
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

I like this mix better! Snare and drums much better and also a bit more seperated. thumbsup

The vocals are still very wooly. Loose some of those lows freq's and try to de-ess a bit more.

I am with andreas there is something missing and also think it has to do with a 2-buss comp or something. I shouldn't change the drums though, they sound nice now!
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Head

listening with shure e3c headphones

when the vocals kick in at the beginning, it doesn't stand out enough. sounds like an eq separation job. i'm also a drummer, so i'll stick with what i listen to most. the snare sounds reaaaaally nice with this song. i like it, it breathes really well. the drums sound great overall, i don't see anything wrong with it. i also like the panning effect, it kinda grabs my attention at a point when things could get repititious.

just curious, what was the snare drum, and how was it miced and processed? also, what kinda room were you recording the drums in?
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Loosjaw, I changed your mix a bit in a direction where I could imagine it could go.
(easier than thousand words)
hope it helps,

Andreas
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Addict

thanks again for your input, so very helpful, i compressed the mix at 3 different points so maybe a comp is messin things up i am going to go back and work at equing the vocal and take off the rencomp i have on the mix, the other two are analog compresers i mixed thru, a drawmer 69 and a smart c2, both barely touching the mix.

Andreas, thanks so much for taking the time to tweak the mix, what did you do to achieve this result?
i like the direction and wanna see if i can apply it with some of my outboard gear when i mix down...i am gonna do another mix with these suggestions in mind.

The snare i used was a 1 ply maple nashville radioking mic'ed with a shure e-904, preamp was an ati 8mx2, eqed and compressed thru drawmer 69, eq-2nv into a smart c2 and finally mixed in saw studio touching up with the channel strip eq and using timeworks reverb....the drum room is a pretty sweet room in an old haunted house with 11 foot ceilings and hardwood floors, a little sound proofing in the conners but not much...just sounds good in that room :-)

thanks again guys 4 taking the time to listen and making suggestions...i post another mix when i have one
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hi Jilly,
to bring back the punch I decompressed your mix with an SPL Dynamaxx and a touch of Transientdesigner.

To restore some details, deepness and clearness I used the SPL Vitalizer MKII T.

With my Siemens board I used a touch of eq and widened the mix a bit.

ITB I did some more corrective equing with an URS S-EQ and a smiley-curve with an Eliosound Air-EQ.

At the end I controlled the peaks, which were lots then with a Elemental Audio Finis-Limiter (1-2dB)

Jilly, I'd like to get a copy of the CD when its finished, I pay for it of course. If possible signed by the band members and you :-)
I really like that kind of stuff! I was amazed when all those details came up. You have very cool ideas production wise. It's not over produced but very interesting, it keeps a kind of garage-underground flawor. PM me when its finished, don't forget it please.

Andreas
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Addict

new mix

Hey Gents thanks again for all your advice so far, i tried to impliment your other suggestion, please let me know what you think of this, your time is greatly appreciated...

Jilly
Attached Files

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search