The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustic song.. what do you think ?
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Nut

Acoustic song.. what do you think ?

So i'm still recording with inexpensive crappy gear but I think it sounds pretty decent.

How do you like ?

I'm still about to do alot of mixing and add another guitarsolo in the end and some tambourine to the happy parts.
Attached Files

Higher & Higher mix.4 1.mp3 (3.97 MB, 313 views)

Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

I kind á like this - the double tracking on the vocals are a little distracting with headphones - not a biggy - but maybe she could tighten up a bit.

She reminds me of a girl I use to know back in 1972 when I was touring with my band. She always came up with a smile and a beer and she also sang songs for us when we where tired of our own music.

* crying wolf, uuuhhhhoooo, crying wolf, crazy fist *
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks! I still have to finetune the automation on the vocals and the solo so I am aware of that =)

This is just what I've done so far

Last edited by geiristudio; 18th January 2007 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: Missing information
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

I love you! Keep it up...
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Absolutely enchanting melody! Seriously. It 'feels' over produced for my tastes, but I'm sure most people would completely disagree. It has to do with the fact that 'raw' and 'personal' appeal to me a great deal.

Do you have Autotune running on the vox? If so, it may a bit too obvious. If not...then for some reason it sounds like it is

Great work!

PS - The panning on the guitar solo (where the descending arpeggios sweep from right to left) is awesome!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Great song, love the voice and melodies. Decent recording, it does sound a little overproduced, a little heavy on reverb. I too can hear the autotune working a bit, but I don't mind, most people don't hate autotune like the people around here do. heh

When the drums come in, it sounds a little messy, some editing might help clean this up.

Very cool music, nice lyrics, who is the artist?
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandoanalog View Post
i cant hear more that 5 seconds of that song!!! there is a huge "feedback" ( my english is horrible) at about 17khz that is piercing my head!!! honestly!! it hurts!! take it out! Ouuuuuch!! You see that high frequency wave that tvs do when thei are turned on? The same thing is happening here... that sound really hurts! If i were 35 years old, i would probably not hear it... but im 20... and i can hear it! pretty loud! Ouuuuuuuuuuch!!!!
Do you like food sex?
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

I only have sex with a danish.

A cheese danish.
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Maniac

Indeed, nasty 16kHz tone, I think it originates from the guitar track (check the intro)
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Man I had nightmares about this thread and the high pitch sound - I thought my ears where too old - but damn I hear it to and I'm 34 -
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Addict

It's not bad. Too much comp on the vocals?
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim light View Post
Man I had nightmares about this thread and the high pitch sound - I thought my ears where too old - but damn I hear it to and I'm 34 -
Glad I only listened to it on my laptop spkrs. At 33 I would have been killed...you're just lucky that you are 34! I like food, sex.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Nut

Haha thanks for all the feedback. Well, I've been working a bit on this and still got alot of work left.

I don't use any autotune or whatever that is. I just recorded everything with an mbox2 and Audio Technica AT3035 condenser.

I used digital performer to mix AND I don't have any great experience with mixing. I've only been at this stuff for about 3 years and have not learnt anything, just learnt on my own. Sure I've read some tips on the internet but that's all.

And yes, I kinda do a lot of overcompressing, I like the sound of overcompression. I realize that if I'd hand this over to an mastering engineer he'd probarbly throw it away, BUT this is just a demo that's not to be done anything more to than just entertain ourselves and people who wanna hear =)

So, please critisize as much as you want and please DO comment how I could improve the sound ! I'm not very good with using reverb to make the sound full. I tried a bit of using short delay to double the voices n' stuff. So please, any advice !

Thanks

*p.s the song is by an Icelandic band called Jet Black Joe and is originally sung by a male and isn't acoustic. Basically replace my acoustic guitar with an organ. The original song is great ! If you wanna hear, I could upload it here (if I may ?)
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Head

Good job, I absolutely love the voice, and the melodies, especially in the first minute, are just beautiful. As far as criticisms, I think when the guitar comes in at 0:55 it's just a fraction of a second off.. If it lined up perfectly with the word "ground" it might sound better.. maybe that's just me but it really threw me off when i heard it the first time... Any other flaws are minor and unimportant, this song easily gets fives stars on my ipod.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Hi! I like the song, especially the slow parts.

It's so funny, but somehow people on forums always think they hear autotune.. Maybe they hate it so much, they actually hear it while they are asleep!

Everytime I post a vocal song on a dutch forum, there are always a few people who are complainging about the autotune.
I NEVER use autotune, I use melodyne only very subtle where it just needs a little bit correction.
I hear more pitchtune correction in songs from Keane and extremely much in one of the songs from the new Take That album.
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Guru

I LOVE YOUR VOICE!!!!!

You also have a great sense of melody.

Keep up the good work !!
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

sounds real nice out of my crappy pc speakers, good work!
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks for all the good criticism and the tips .. i'm gonna get to it soon to fix as much as I can !

Keep commenting =)
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Nut

Here's an update. I added tambourine to the choruses and did some minor eq. I'm still about to record the solo to the last part of the song.

Any advice to the mixing process ??

*I realized after posting this there's a bit of too hard panning in the guitarsolo which I will fix in the next update.*
Attached Files

Higher & Higher mix.5.mp3 (3.97 MB, 89 views)

Old 12th February 2007
Gear Nut

Common man.. keep commenting

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search