The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Work in progress for 7"
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Guru

Work in progress for 7"

It is looking like we have a small record label that wants to put out a 7" with this song on it. We will be rerecording it, but wanted to see if there is anything we should add or drop from this tune. Pretty much the same tracks will be recorded again (same tone also) but played much nicer. From 1:37 until 1:45 or so there will be more guitar feed back. Anything else you guys can think of?

Glenn
Attached Files

gold-04.mp3 (2.67 MB, 80 views)

Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

I think it's cool, just need a better drum track and tighter performance.

During the bridge something should change though. That tambo has to go. A B3 Leslie would be killer through there...

Bass should be dirty

Songs rockin' though! Good ole rock and roll.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
I think it's cool, just need a better drum track and tighter performance.

During the bridge something should change though. That tambo has to go. A B3 Leslie would be killer through there...

Bass should be dirty

Songs rockin' though! Good ole rock and roll.
Yea the drum track was pretty much just 3 mics. One over head mono, snare and kick.
I will give some thought to the B3 leslie thing. Maybe we could take out one of the guitars to give it room.
I did try the dirty bass but because everything else is dirty it seemed to just get muddy.. But I will keep that in mind.

thanks for your input..

Glenn
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

you bet

The drums I meant the performance. Also, if you leave the tambo in the bridge, I'd personally drop the level and add some effect to it so it doesn't sound the same as it does through the rest of the song.

I've always noticed when you have one instrument play all the way through the song that always sounds generally the same it takes away from the feel of the song, takes you out of the "mood". Well it does for me anyway

Either way, I look forward to the final version. Should be a lot of fun!
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
you bet

The drums I meant the performance. Also, if you leave the tambo in the bridge, I'd personally drop the level and add some effect to it so it doesn't sound the same as it does through the rest of the song.

I've always noticed when you have one instrument play all the way through the song that always sounds generally the same it takes away from the feel of the song, takes you out of the "mood". Well it does for me anyway

Either way, I look forward to the final version. Should be a lot of fun!
maybe instead of him shaking the dfegad out of it, on the break down he could just do hits (and lower the volume).. Not sure if you can hear it or not, but there is a little egg shaker thing going on also.. One thing about this kind of music is there is a fine line of doing enough and OVER DOING it!!

Glenn
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

I would loose some of the verb on guitars - and pan the drums more to one side. I think the performance is gold - I don't hear any errors? It's rock'n troll right? I would also make the snare a little brighter . I miss some room on the kick. The distortion on the lead voc is cool - what is it?

I think the bass and kick could have more room feel - they seem too close and dry.

I think the mix is cool -

is it you singing?
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post
maybe instead of him shaking the dfegad out of it, on the break down he could just do hits (and lower the volume).. Not sure if you can hear it or not, but there is a little egg shaker thing going on also.. One thing about this kind of music is there is a fine line of doing enough and OVER DOING it!!

Glenn

There you go, no shaking, 1/2 note hits in that section, with no egg shaker. I thought I heard a shaker, but wasn't sure.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim light View Post
I would loose some of the verb on guitars - and pan the drums more to one side. I think the performance is gold - I don't hear any errors? It's rock'n troll right? I would also make the snare a little brighter . I miss some room on the kick. The distortion on the lead voc is cool - what is it?

I think the bass and kick could have more room feel - they seem too close and dry.

I think the mix is cool -

is it you singing?
Hey dim,
Glad to hear from you... Yep that is me singing. I used a RCA mic from a old tape recorder with a telephone machine as a pre amp... he he he he.. Oh wait that ain't right, I used a 4050 with a LA610 pre. I doubled the track and put a little dirt with slap to one side. I did over drive the LA610 just a little to also.
I think you are right about the verb on the guitars.
I think with the set up for the "real deal" I want to use more room mics to bring more over all drum sound, which I am hoping that will help with the kick. As far as bass maybe micing the amp and running direct would help also.
I am hoping to get one of my buddies from The Woggles in the studio to help out. These guys are all about room sound, but it being really tight.

Glenn
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Cool bro

I like your singing - and the vibe.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

What is this"Rock and Roll" of which you speak? Is it new? It sounds so foreign and exciting to me. Makes me want to roll a spleef and crack a beer and wear ripped jeans and sunnies.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search