The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Super Produced Pop Tune
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Super Produced Pop Tune

I engineerd, mixed, and produced this 70 some odd track beast.

Whacha think?

They are being shopped pretty heavily so I am doing my best to get to do the release record when it happens....hope this gets my name in the hat. The band dug it and we are doing 6 more together with me at the helm, so at least I have their vote.
Attached Files

Wasn't It Real.mp3 (4.17 MB, 692 views)

Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear
It sounds good.

I'm not a huge fan of the guitars however, they sound thin to me, during the chorus they're ok but I find the intro/verse a little shocking.
The beginning of the song is kinda weak, when the drums come in that is, it doesn't explode like you expect it to... maybe an extra power chord in there could be cool, just to get the song started...

The kick drum is too loud for my tastes, or maybe a little too clicky for the style I don't know, I like the snare but the kick bothers me, even the tone of it, sounds muddy ( is it triggered? If it is I don't like the sample too much).

But overall it's a good mix, I think working on these few things could make it better though but maybe that's just me.

Nice work
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Nut

I agree.

The kick is way too loud. You could give the kick a little more bass and then lower the volume. The guitars are very thin and need to be alot louder and cut more through. The snare sounds very good.

One thing I think you could improve a little bit is the subbass in the overall sound. It needs a little deeper bass. Not too much but there's just a little lack of punch.

Otherwise, it sounds very well!
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Addict

Your mix sounds good.
(I agree about the kick and guitars).

Are you still using the Equinox ? Which output transformer ?

I don't know if it is the Equinox, but you got a big, wide sound.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yea this was the first mix so I am going to make a few slight changes after hearing the bands feedback as well. I will post when I get it done.

It is the Nickel setting on the Equinox. I may try a few different mixes on each setting.

Thanks for the input so far.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Sounds GREAT

that songs has something. it shines as it is, my ears would like to hear it in the " maroon 5 " way, all a lil closer, drums a lil more down and the vocals more solid.
but thats just my thought of how this song could turn into something even BIGGER.

NICE WORK
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Nut

Good job
OK thumbsup
Old 14th January 2007
Cool PigPen!
My modest suggestion:
The Guit at the beggining sounds thin , too far and distant.
The toms have to be fatter esoecially at the very beggining !!

I would add a bit of low end to the BD and lowered the volume a bit.
I would add more Bass...and better relation with the BD.

I thing the Guitars can be much louder, fatter , a bit less bright and less distant .
I think you can change the importance(change balance) of the Gtrs to create more of a chage in the parts of the song.

Lowered the high at the Hihat..are a bit bright and the tone goes beyond the overall tone of your mix,,,just a tiny bit less.

Snare, vocals and emotion is great! I think that is the hardest part and you nail it!

basicly the song sound great and the vocals and drums are cool and i think needs more interaction and integration of the GTrs and Bass on the mix!
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the replies!

This should be fun to hear your opinions....
There were a few other little changes the band wanted to make so it is a bit different, but I believe better.

Mix 1 is the remix through the Iron mode
Mix 2 is Nickel
Attached Files

01 Wasn't It Real Mix 2 Iron.mp3 (4.18 MB, 309 views)

02 Wasn't It Real Mix 2 Nickel.mp3 (4.19 MB, 209 views)

Old 15th January 2007
Hey PigPen! that is so cool!
Sounds much better!
I personally prefer the mix and SOUND on the Iron mode!! I think is bterr the glue there than with the Nickel.

I think in the nickel the Kick is louder and maybe the sound of nickel is a bit cleaner than the iron?

also was the exact same mix just through different mode?
please can you explain me the different modes and what each of them supposed to sounds like?
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks man...yea exact same mix.

The Iron is the thick Neve-esque type thing. The bottom can get a bit crazy if you don't mix into it, but sounds good as long as you know what you are getting into. Probably my favorite now that I have gotten more used to it.
The Nickel is the cleanest by far to my ears.
The Steel has a mid push (suupposed to be API style). I did not like it for this style at all, but sounds good on other styles.

The proof is here on the Equinox as far as its ability to drastically change the sound of any song with the flick of a switch. I get a fair amount of people pm'ing me on here and calling which I don't mind at all, but here is something you guys can actually hear so my explanantions make more sense. Enjoy!
Old 15th January 2007
That is cool! I think is a great thread!!

cool that io hear the Equinox as you see it!!

I like the warmth of the Iron!!

Thanka Bro!!! you rule!!!
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Addict

Did you remix it through the Iron or Nickel mode ?

What gear did you use for this mix ?

I prefer Iron, the guitar sounds better now, I am not too fond of the kick.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

I remixed thru the Nickel and got lucky that it worked in Iron

Kick wise, I am trying to give this thing some thump for the clubs as well. Just trying something out of the ordinary for me with this kick trying to have something drive the song....I dig it personally, maybe a little over the top, but for some reason it works for me on this tune....the band may feel differently, we'll see.

Gear....SSL ol grey face himslef on the master buss, Portico on the Drum buss, 76 on vox, Distressor on snare, fatso on OH's, API 550's on gtrs, Red 2 on vox....etc...
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Oh and FWIW, I definitely dig the Iron mode best for this tune now as well....again we'll see what the band/management prefers. My original mix was thru Nickel as well. At first I did not like what Iron was doing to the lows, but now as I said, I dig it.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

the drum:rest of instruments ratio is a little off...other wise this sounds up there with the rest of the chart toppers
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
Thanks man...yea exact same mix.

The Iron is the thick Neve-esque type thing. The bottom can get a bit crazy if you don't mix into it, but sounds good as long as you know what you are getting into.
Also helps when you can hear it also!! heh

Mix sounds GREAT!!!

Glenn
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post
Also helps when you can hear it also!! heh

Mix sounds GREAT!!!

Glenn
There's more to this statement that is true than I can possibly explain!!! Mr Glenn hooked me up with my room treatment. That combined with the Focals made ALL the difference in the world!
Old 16th January 2007
PigPen! I have a friend that works at Henson studios in LA(A&M) for many years , he is an engineer and worked in so many cool albums,,,well they have all the vintage gear you can imagine!! just impressive!

He was looking to buy a 2 bus comp for his studio: and told me that he compared the SSL Xlogic compressor with many great vintage and awesome 2 bus comps.... and he said that the XLogic sounded as goos as the grey faced!just a bit more transparent.
What do u know about it?
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

No idea, I am graced with the ol grey face. After talking with a few esteemed members here, I decided to hold out until I got one so I did.
thethrillfactor has had alot to say about the differences. Maybe search it and look for his name, quite knowledable that guy!
Good luck
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Amazing how a few mix changes can make me go from not liking a tune to actually liking the tune... Nice job.

My only suggestion... The guitar solo sounds (for lack of a better term) really PODish to me... Maybe that's a good thing, I don't know. You might slap some delay on it to soften it up and spread it out?
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yea it is going to see 2 more little bitty changes then off it goes....the solo will soften as suggested a bit and I am going to pull the end counter vocals back down a touch.

Then done I say.

FWIW, I did score 6 more tunes on their record due to this one!
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

dont get me wrong, but to me it still sounds like the drums are upfront and the band is playing somewhere behind the drums ( levelwise ). the drum sound very solid that way but the rest is kinda washy ? ( sounds like a lot of para comp on the drum bus especially when the ride jumps in it sounds like a super short release on it ... which makes it a lil to agressive ? )

just my 2 cents while listening, i still LIKE it
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

When I remix I will give it another listen to see if I can hear what you are saying. The drum comp is the Portico, but I am barely touching it so I am not sure that that is what is causing what you are hearing....When I post the remix, let me know if you still hear it.
Thanks for lsitening!
Old 17th January 2007
Well besides of the different preferences and taste that we have on mixing I think this thread was one of the best!
I also like it because I know how serious and professional is PigPen about music.

I also think is great how he shows the differences between the Equinox modes and of course how he take the GS opinions!!

Thanks bro!!thumbsup
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks dood, that means alot to me.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Addict

hey pigpen

i really like the tune and it does overall sound very good, well done.

just a question, the guitarts still sound thin, what was used to record the guitars, this might explain the sound.

overall though just great, BTW i like the iron mix best
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Piggy! Cool song man. The Iron copy is a bit much with the kick trying to slam you in the face but not quite. I like the nickel version but wish it had a touch more punch to it.

Agree about the guitars being thin.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

To hell with all of you...I am turning the kick to 11!!!!! (Just wait for the remix entitled, "I break your speakers now version 1"

Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

hahah!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search