The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MIX OFF - Laid Back Rock
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Head

Very very nice track
Attached Files

Girl (Icee Mix).mp3 (7.57 MB, 333 views)

Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

This was worth digging through a couple more pages for

Nice track, good mix challenge!
Can recommend this to anyone looking for a worthwhile mix-off.

Here's my first stab at it:
(updated due to mistake in first render)
Attached Files

Girl - Quetz Mix.mp3 (7.36 MB, 231 views)

Last edited by Quetz; 16th July 2018 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: render error
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Girl ... APS Mix V1

Hey Brian (and guys),

Thanks for an awesome Mix Off to participate in! I know this is a solid 5 years after it was originally posted, but figured I would sharpen my skills.

The tracks (for the most part) were well recorded. I won't state the obvious but I wish there was a stereo kit track instead of mono (I ended up doing something to fill out the stereo image). The bass had those noise problems but I just rolled off the top (7-8khz ish?) which I was planning on doing anyway and it was mostly gone. I was expecting to not like the 103 as much but it sounded really good on your vocals! Guitars sounded excellent.

I found the Spotify mix from your album to reference (I assume the version that played on the show). I noticed that the final drums ended up being different. I didn't really do much to fix the timing of the cymbals (even though I wanted to). I just felt this song is something that's supposed to vibe even with the flaws (i.e. not try to hard to be polished) so I tried to keep that going.

The only edits I made were some sample replacements for the kick and snare, and I edited out the drums to silence for a beat right before the start of verse 1 (sorry, the producer in me wanted to do that).

Other than that, a lot of saturation to keep the analog vibe from the trident going and some very light reverb for space. Dug the dry sound of the original and your rough.

A total of 2 Hours on the mix. Mixed completely ITB and FL Studio 20.7 is my current DAW of choice. UAD, Waves, Soundtoys were among the plugs I used. I monitored through my trusty Yamaha HS80s via Apollo Twin and Sonarworks Ref 4.

Hope you enjoy!

APS
Attached Files
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Pretty cool mix man ... Ive done this mix once before in the past and saw you posted this and it reminded me of this and i wanted to take another crack at it ... check ut out below ... bout 45mins of mixing -- Pro tools
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I mixed this song before in the past and wanted to revisit it Made it in Pro tools ... bout 45min of mixing ... pretty cool song ... wish there were more of these.
Attached Files

Austin-This Girl.mp3 (8.06 MB, 137 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

My Mix

Hello Brian

Here's my take on the track.
I'm using Pro Tools 12 and mostly Waves Plugins. A pair of Yamaha HS80.

My approach was to have a good sounding vocals and then build the track around, some doublers here and there for stereo imaging, not very much compression and a quick mastering to Streaming standars.

I hope you like it, let me know what you (and everyone) think.

(I just realized this is a thread from 2015 )

Cheers
Attached Files

Girl (Arturo Sallas Mix).mp3 (7.58 MB, 109 views)

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Hey, now that this thread is active again, I'd like to toot my own horn for a second and encourage you all to hear what I did with this mix. I posted this a few years back when it was a dead thread, and never heard a thing back about it:

MIX OFF - Laid Back Rock

I spent some time on this mix, doing "sound design" work to create new textures out of the existing material, using muting to build the arrangement over the course of the song... and made the lead guitar into a pretty convincing wah sound too.

Toot toot!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

yeah i would like some feedback on my -track as well !!
Old 1 week ago
Dot fo' layta

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallboy79 View Post
A quick go just on headphones...no idea how it translates.

It's a great mix and will translate very nicely. Keep wearing the headphones
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

what a lovely song! i really liked mixing it. thank you!
Attached Files
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Awesome song.

Here's my mix...kept it natural and didn't do any editing apart from some fades. Turn it up
Mixed on Focal Utopias with Chord Hugo.

Cheers!
Attached Files

Girl2.mp3 (7.78 MB, 43 views)

📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear