The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Triad-Orbit STARBIRD Microphone Stand Microphone Accessories
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Triad-Orbit STARBIRD Microphone Stand

Somehow this has flown under the radar but Triad-Orbit has revived the Starbird (with licensing from Manley) for a "new" Model 180. And with some improvements to the design.
Seems it was first shown AES NYC 2017. Street Price $989 (List $1237)

Triad-Orbit New Products
Old 3 weeks ago
m03
Gear Nut

Awesome. After a quick search of retailers, it looks like these are expected to be in stock in April.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think it flew under the radar because it is a $1,000 mic stand. Ain't nobody got time for dat!
Old 2 weeks ago
m03
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
I think it flew under the radar because it is a $1,000 mic stand. Ain't nobody got time for dat!
It's worth noting that beat-up old used ones were selling for about the same as the street price of the new one before this announcement.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do. These are for serious scoring stages/tracking rooms. Not bedrooms. The Latch Lake micKing 3300 ($750) and the Starbird are the only stands for certain types of jobs.

And a lot of older original Starbirds in use today need to be retired. They've put their time in for over 50 years. I was tracking recently and the 2 surround Starbirds were sagging and one of the outriggers. They needed go to a machine shop.

And Manley last made their reissue in 2010. Glad to see this model and it looks like it is even usable in smaller spaces with the redesign.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have recorded a few orchestras with On Stage Stands brand accessories. This stand has nice features but man that counterweight looks tacky. Not worth it for me. This is something the government will buy in a heartbeat though.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
its times like this that I wish i could "like" something as many times as i could press the button rapid fire.. your so freikn right! it should cost 500 max imo
Old 2 weeks ago
m03
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
its times like this that I wish i could "like" something as many times as i could press the button rapid fire.. your so freikn right! it should cost 500 max imo

If you know of a model with a comparable feature set at your $500 price, I'd be happy to buy a couple.

The Latch Lake 3300 looks pretty close feature-wise, but it's $750.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
Companies have every right to price their products however they see fit. However, consumers also have every right to ignore products they see aren't worth their money. That's what I think happened here.

This isn't a "pretty" product like a vintage microphone reissue so most will ignore it. A couple sandbags on my mic stand legs and a little one on the boom arm usually does the job.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Companies have every right to price their products however they see fit. However, consumers also have every right to ignore products they see aren't worth their money. That's what I think happened here.

This isn't a "pretty" product like a vintage microphone reissue so most will ignore it. A couple sandbags on my mic stand legs and a little one on the boom arm usually does the job.
agreed
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I saw this at the show and they were right across from Latch Lake stand. I feel that the 3300 does pretty much the same job in a more unobtrusive way.

I really don't like the blue lines on the counterweight as well..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm pretty sure you aren't their market unless you need to put a section spot 8 feet away from the base and 8 feet up or need to put a mic 12 feet vertically up. And heavy, valuable mics. Only other option is large tripod stands with sandbags (used for Decca or double Decca Trees) -- but those are usually fixed to a position since it is a hassle to move.

This price is inline with what Starbirds have always cost. And they aren't "general purpose" stands.

Or to see what they sell/sold for just this past year:
2 George A Starbird Model 180 Studio Mic Boom Stands Fairfax | Reverb
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That studio in the video is The Bridge (owned by Greg Curtis). If you have not already done so, you should read the epic build thread found in the studio build projects section of this forum. It's an amazing story of a fantastic build that went on to be a super successful studio.

Looks like Greg is going to be upgrading some of his old Starbirds!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

This is a no brainer for those who need a large format stand. I had my hands all over one at NAMM. If you spend some time talking with the Triad-Orbit reps (or watch the youtube videos) you will catch pretty quickly the thought that went into the Starbird redesign. After seeing it in person at NAMM here is my takeaway: It is an improvement over all aspects of the original Model 180 and Manley designs. This new version has folding legs that disappear into the base and stow in a much shorter footprint than either the 180 or Manley. It has a locking pin on the swivel for safety and consistent placement and repeatability. It has a pneumatic lift that raises the boom automagically...which is mind blowing and an ingenious addition. What other stand has that?? It effortlessly lifted heavy large diaphragm mics to heights no other stand can achieve. It has a moveable counterweight that slides up and down the boom and locks where you want it & you can add shot internally. Not to mention that it has the same quick-release capability of the other stands in the Triad-Orbit line. I was also told that these parts will perfectly retrofit back to the Manley and Model 180 stands so you can upgrade your tired old soldiers, rather than putting them out of commission. At $1200 MSRP?? The last time I looked at old Starbirds they were going for more than that on Ebay... for a 60 year old stand? Manley had a Starbird stand at their booth and they were pretty stoked about it themselves - which is saying something.

As a long time studio owner my opinion is that Triad-Orbit knocked this one out of the park. If you don't want one because it has blue lines.... i'm sure there will be plenty of the old 60+ year old stands on the market once this starts shipping.

Last edited by StevieD; 2 weeks ago at 12:07 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieD View Post
This is a no brainer for those who need a large format stand. I had my hands all over one at NAMM. If you spend some time talking with the Triad-Orbit reps (or watch the youtube videos) you will catch pretty quickly the thought that went into the Starbird redesign. After seeing it in person at NAMM here is my takeaway: It is an improvement over all aspects of the original Model 180 and Manley designs. This new version has folding legs that disappear into the base and stow in a much shorter footprint than either the 180 or Manley. It has a locking pin on the swivel for safety and consistent placement and repeatability. It has a pneumatic lift that raises the boom automagically...which is mind blowing and an ingenious addition. What other stand has that?? It effortlessly lifted heavy large diaphragm mics to heights no other stand can achieve. It has a moveable counterweight that slides up and down the boom and locks where you want it & you can add shot internally. Not to mention that it has the same quick-release capability of the other stands in the Triad-Orbit line. I was also told that these parts will perfectly retrofit back to the Manley and Model 180 stands so you can upgrade your tired old soldiers, rather than putting them out of commission. At $1200 MSRP?? The last time I looked at old Starbirds they were going for more than that on Ebay... for a 60 year old stand? Manley had a Starbird stand at their booth and they were pretty stoked about it themselves - which is saying something.

As a long time studio owner my opinion is that Triad-Orbit knocked this one out of the park. If you don't want one because it has blue lines.... i'm sure there will be plenty of the old 60+ year old stands on the market once this starts shipping.
I plan to buy 2 of them!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Look to be wonderfully designed.
But the blue color scheme is tacky, I have to say.
Old 16 hours ago
Lives for gear

Looks like a well engineered stand. I doubt anybody will use it to record live orchestras because the shiny reflective silver finish. Grey or Black always for live events.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search