The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A list of companies that will NOT be at NAMM. Mobile Apps
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A list of companies that will NOT be at NAMM.

I didn't know if this already existed just in case anyone was flying in from far away and is eager to see what Gibson is showing....as they are not..etc.-thx
Old 1 week ago
Gibson is at CES this week. Many companies are abandoning NAMM like PRS as they can't do business there with all those aging tall hair looky-lou's crowding the show floor.

NAMM is a party, not a trade show. Gibson is where the buyers are.
Old 1 week ago
Yeah, there are too many music store guest badges at NAMM, making it impossible for the majority of industry professionals to even attend.

Gibson also just murdered Cakewalk, not making them the most popular company right now. Probably not the best show to show up at this year.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for food

Despite Gibson not being there (which is a good move for various reasons imo), their Tascam area IS there and has a pretty big booth (18910).

I'm gonna edit this post a couple of days before the show when I do the walkthrough during setup.....a birdie told me something and I want to see with my own eyes before I say anything.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Gibson is at CES this week. Many companies are abandoning NAMM like PRS as they can't do business there with all those aging tall hair looky-lou's crowding the show floor.

Actually, there are more aging tall-hair, black-clothed looky-lou's per capita at CES than at Namm. It's just harder for them to find Namm badges.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

They do business in rooms above the show floor, in the hotel rooms surrounding the convention center, and tucked away side rooms. That's kind of the way it has always been.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Surprising Gibson won't be there. PRS is there though.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

The Electronic Music forum said that Dave Smith Instruments and Moog will not be at NAMM this year either. Both are niche companies, have strong dedicated fan bases, and understand the internet way of product launching quite well. Additionally, I think they both sell over 90% of their products through a handful of retailers (large internet companies that we all know.) So that leaves NAMM as more of a meet and greet than a sales vehicle.

Gibson is doing an internal reorganization right now and will likely focus on Summer NAMM. Yamaha is another company that has scaled back its NAMM presence in recent years. Still, I'd hate to see NAMM go the way of cathode ray tube and floppy disc. It's still a great avenue for small startups to introduce their wares.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroZon View Post

Yamaha is another company that has scaled back its NAMM presence in recent years.
Is you nuts? Yamaha practically takes over the Marriott ballrooms outside the east Namm doors. Their area dwarfs the Fender and previous Gibson rooms combined.

I, for one, like that I can talk to Steinberg in the Marriott Yamaha rooms. Much easier to hold a conversation.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
Is you nuts? Yamaha practically takes over the Marriott ballrooms outside the east Namm doors. Their area dwarfs the Fender and previous Gibson rooms combined.

I, for one, like that I can talk to Steinberg in the Marriott Yamaha rooms. Much easier to hold a conversation.
Sorry, my bad. Maybe they just don't get the coverage that others do. They are definitely the broadest musical instrument maker in the world. And tell the Steinberg folks thanks for Cubasis for iPad. I just got it last week.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
The Electronic Music forum said that Dave Smith Instruments and Moog will not be at NAMM this year either. Both are niche companies, have strong dedicated fan bases, and understand the internet way of product launching quite well. Additionally, I think they both sell over 90% of their products through a handful of retailers (large internet companies that we all know.) So that leaves NAMM as more of a meet and greet than a sales vehicle.

Gibson is doing an internal reorganization right now and will likely focus on Summer NAMM. Yamaha is another company that has scaled back its NAMM presence in recent years. Still, I'd hate to see NAMM go the way of cathode ray tube and floppy disc. It's still a great avenue for small startups to introduce their wares.
Bummer! I had no idea DSI and Moog weren't showing. I just looked at the show map, and it's starting to look more like AES and less like NAMM, for the things I'm interested in.

I don't see Behringer/Music group there either

Layout is quite different this year. The new area opening up really shifted things around.

Pete
Old 1 week ago
Lives for food

Harman looks to finally be out of those sideways cubby rooms they were forever in by the arena and now actually out onto the main floor somewhere.
Old 1 week ago
AES was once a much larger show 25+ years ago when it teamed up with SMPTE. SMPTE saw the light and moved to CES back in the 1990's. Now AES is a tiny show.

NAMM suffers from bad management. They may end up like AES.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Will Native Instruments be there? I have not been able to get a reply from them.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
NAMM suffers from bad management. They may end up like AES
not a rogue concept!... some companies that still exhibit share this view as well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiller View Post
Will Native Instruments be there? I have not been able to get a reply from them.

The Namm map shows something called "Native Summit" at booth 200b.... with the address referred to Native Instruments address on Sunset.

I dunno what Native Summit means since I don't follow NI much any more. Maybe it's NI doing what they call a summit meeting with dealers at the show. I haven't looked to see how big 200b is, but it would be upstairs around the Peavey area somewhere.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Sorry, my bad. Maybe they just don't get the coverage that others do. They are definitely the broadest musical instrument maker in the world. And tell the Steinberg folks thanks for Cubasis for iPad. I just got it last week.
Yamaha is also local to the area, so transporting employees and equipment isn't that expensive for a company of their size. Yamaha's USA headquarters are just a few miles away in nearby Buena Park.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Bummer! I had no idea DSI and Moog weren't showing. I just looked at the show map, and it's starting to look more like AES and less like NAMM, for the things I'm interested in.

I don't see Behringer/Music group there either

Layout is quite different this year. The new area opening up really shifted things around.

Pete
My annual badge connection told me that NAMM (the organization) is getting more stingy this year; in previous years he used to get 5 free badges and up to 2 extra badges for a fee. Now he only gets 2 free badges and up to two more for $100 each. He believes that NAMM is trying to actually cut down on attendance because it's gotten too huge for them, and that charging $100 each for badges is effectively charging for admission.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
My annual badge connection told me that NAMM (the organization) is getting more stingy this year; in previous years he used to get 5 free badges and up to 2 extra badges for a fee. Now he only gets 2 free badges and up to two more for $100 each. He believes that NAMM is trying to actually cut down on attendance because it's gotten too huge for them, and that charging $100 each for badges is effectively charging for admission.
Wouldn't surprise me. NAMM wasn't too good about explaining the new badge process/fees, either. They caught me by surprise.

But it was the same for us, as a non-exhibitor: 2 free, and $100 each afterwards.

Pete
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
Surprising Gibson won't be there.
Not really. After acquiring the consumer audio arm of Philips and stating their intention to focus on that aspect, CES is the logical place for them.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiller View Post

The Namm map shows something called "Native Summit" at booth 200b.... with the address referred to Native Instruments address on Sunset.

I dunno what Native Summit means since I don't follow NI much any more. Maybe it's NI doing what they call a summit meeting with dealers at the show. I haven't looked to see how big 200b is, but it would be upstairs around the Peavey area somewhere.
Yes, the Native Summit is hosted by Native Instruments. I don't know if it's open to all NAMM attendees, or whether it's dealer and/or invitation only.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthfiend View Post
Yes, the Native Summit is hosted by Native Instruments. I don't know if it's open to all NAMM attendees, or whether it's dealer and/or invitation only.
200b is kind of a little room.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Especially for instruments, I think these kinds of shows need to be more consumer-focused, Superbooth in Germany seems to be the answer and it wouldn't surprise me if in a few years all electronic instruments manufacturers just showed at Superbooth.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post

Jim! I normally don't take issue with your posts but this one is not right.

NAMM is where the dealers are- not the end users- so if you don't want dealers, why bother? PRS- Paul used to spend a fortune there with a huge booth. I am not sure why he's not coming, but NAMM is stronger than ever, not weaker.

CES is where the buyers are? Maybe if you want to sell something in your mega store from Microsoft. Absolutely sucks for anything audio and anything high end. The High End Suites at the Venetian, where high end used to fill a LOT of floors, is down to 2 floors and very slow traffic. Everyone is bailing and going in favor of regional shows like AXPONA. So CES is not working for high end anymore -no buyers !

NAMM is not a party unless you choose to make it so. Its the best trade show for pro audio in the world and is doing far better right now than any other show on the planet. Having just made a deal to get AES involved, NAMM is providing space for all the AES papers and standards committee meetings. This is important to health of AES.

Brad

Last edited by Brad Lunde; 3 days ago at 02:59 AM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
Gibson is abandoning retailers and going direct and bypassing dealers. They announced this at CES.
Pr link please. I find no info that Gibson is going to sell Gibsons/Epiphones direct to the public.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pr link please. I find no info that Gibson is going to sell Gibsons/Epiphones direct to the public.
Noodle, I find nothing in the public space that I can show you that supports my comment, so I withdraw it. It is likely just a rumor and not true.

Brad
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Most trade shows are being smaller. For the synth geeks here I advice to go to Super Booth in Berlin. Moog and all the others will be there.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Champ View Post
Most trade shows are being smaller. For the synth geeks here I advice to go to Super Booth in Berlin. Moog and all the others will be there.
Also Knobcon held near Chicago USA at the Hyatt Regency in Schaumburg seems to keep growing successfully as an alternative trade show+convention+synth meet for all sorts of synthesizer instruments.
Knobcon - Knobcon
Old 2 days ago
Perhaps a missing piece of info here is that anyone can now buy a NAMM badge for $25 from the website. This has been the case for a few years. Before that, no one could get into NAMM without the blessing of a NAMM member essentially making this a "dealers only" type of show. Opening the floor to the public has dramatically increased the number of casual window shoppers at NAMM as opposed to dealers. I have heard manufacturers in the past 3 years complaining about the lack of dealer traffic at NAMM. Before that, the complaints were more often related to the slow economy negatively affecting sales. So, I conclude that MI sales are up but NAMM may not be as much of an influencing factor as it used to be and many manufacturers are starting to focus more on direct sales & service than ever before.

I remember being surprised at how many companies were not exhibiting last year but can't think of which ones. I know that Ableton has not been at NAMM for the past few years. I'm sure some more folks will think of others...
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbe View Post
I know that Ableton has not been at NAMM for the past few years. I'm sure some more folks will think of others...
And as soon as I write that..I see on the NAMM map that Ableton has booth #106 in Hall A this year. It is a new year!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search