The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TC Electronic introduces the VSS3 Native Reverb plugin
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I just bought it, best digital reverb ever. Kills my UAD-reverbs...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Shame their webstore doesn't take Amex or Paypal.

Bummer, I love this reverb and can't wait to ditch the powercore for the native version.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarz View Post
What? No VST version?
Where did you get that from? From their website:

VSS3 Native supports all modern plug-in standards, giving you the freedom to work with any DAW you prefer.

Pro Tools (AAX Native)

Cubase, Nuendo, Ableton Live, Reaper and more (VST)

Logic Pro X (Audio Units)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I'd really like to hear reports about a comparison from current/former PoCo users here.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarz View Post
What? No VST version?

Windows

VST2.4
VST3
AAX Native 32/64-bit
AAX AudioSuite 32/64-bit

MAC

VST2.4
VST3
Audio Units
AAX Native 32/64-bit
AAX AudioSuite 32/64-bit
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Does it work with an original iLok, or do you need the newer one?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendkill View Post

Mmmh not sure about that - it depends on the musical setting.

I've owned the VSS3 on Powercore well before I've owned any UAD reverbs.

I now own ALL the UAD reverbs, and basically there is no common ground between any of the UAD reverbs and the VSS3, so I really can't see how you can make an Apples to Apples comparison.

The VSS3 is a room simulator, a very good one at that and great for piano - actually amazing on piano and also for AC guitar ambience.

But I have never found the VSS3 useful for vocals or rock n roll drums or e. guitars.

VSS3 is great for film cues, as it can create realistic spaces like toilets, garages, outdoor spaces etc.

Now for Rock n Roll the UAD has RMX16, EMT250 AKG BX20 Lex 224 - the constant plate stuff on some of the UAD reverbs are just fantastic imho and nothing I've ever heard from the VSS3.

Most of the UAD reverbs will give you steamy enveloping spaces perfect for rock no roll and brillant for vocals.

I really cannot see any comparison possible excpet for prehaps the underated UAD Dreamverb ( the new version of RealVerbPro)

YMMV as they say.
Old 1 week ago
Two Gear Heads

Quote:
It doesn't kill your UAD reverbs, it's a different reverb, not trying to be the same. When it comes to reverb it's difficult to say one is better than the other. I have all the UAD reverbs and recently got myself Relab VSR S24 (which makes the VSS3 native plugin obsolete, for me at least) and I love how they complement each other. For spring reverb I pick the UAD AKG BX-20, for that classic lush Lexicon sound I use the UAD Lexicon 224. When I need it to sound modern, I use VSR S24 or Acon Digital Verberate for example. It totally depends on the sound I'm after. You won't hear me say that the UAD EMT 140 is better than the UAD EMT 250, they are different and I enjoy and appreciate what makes them different (unique).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post

I now own ALL the UAD reverbs, and basically there is no common ground between any of the UAD reverbs and the VSS3, so I really can't see how you can make an Apples to Apples comparison.

The VSS3 is a room simulator, a very good one at that and great for piano - actually amazing on piano and also for AC guitar ambience.

But I have never found the VSS3 useful for vocals or rock n roll drums or e. guitars.

VSS3 is great for film cues, as it can create realistic spaces like toilets, garages, outdoor spaces etc.

Now for Rock n Roll the UAD has RMX16, EMT250 AKG BX20 Lex 224 - the constant plate stuff on some of the UAD reverbs are just fantastic imho and nothing I've ever heard from the VSS3.

Most of the UAD reverbs will give you steamy enveloping spaces perfect for rock no roll and brillant for vocals.

I really cannot see any comparison possible excpet for prehaps the underated UAD Dreamverb ( the new version of RealVerbPro)

YMMV as they say.
Well, I also owned all TC PoCo reverbs and now I own all UAD verbs (except for the EMT140 which I don't like not even a bit compared to Nebula VNXT) and I still miss VSS3 for many things, now, not good for vocals?? are you sure about that? Listen to this recording I did (mixed and mastered) about 10 years ago, VSS3 was the only reverb I used on the entire album...

https://soundcloud.com/ricardowheelock/all-blues
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I agree, the VSS3 has something special, I have really missed it, also the CPU hit is tiny on my machine.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoWheelock View Post
Well, I also owned all TC PoCo reverbs and now I own all UAD verbs (except for the EMT140 which I don't like not even a bit compared to Nebula VNXT) and I still miss VSS3 for many things, now, not good for vocals?? are you sure about that? Listen to this recording I did (mixed and mastered) about 10 years ago, VSS3 was the only reverb I used on the entire album...

https://soundcloud.com/ricardowheelock/all-blues
Very nice vocal reverb. Do you remember what starting preset was used on vocals?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post

YMMV as they say.
Have to disagree strongly with you on this, the VSS3 can sound really fabulous on Vocals, it has a sound unavailable anywhere else, I have missed it a lot, I have most plugins, UAD reverbs and even high end hardware like bricasti M7 and I can honestly say the TC VSS3 powercore has been missed and I'm really glad to have it back.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

On OSX Sierra Pro Tools 12.7 the plugin does not load. 'The following plug-ins failed to load because they are not valid 64 bit AAX plug-ins - VSS3.aaxplugin'

So, that was a disappointment. I paid for the cross grade from my dormant Powercore license.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
PT12 (mac) says it's not a 64bit plug in so i can not demo it...
So, I'm not the only one!

I paid for it, not impressed it doesn't work on Pro Tools 12 OSX Sierra!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
I'd really like to hear reports about a comparison from current/former PoCo users here.
just did a short phase reverse test with the poco VSS3 and the new native one - the earlies cancel out completely, but there's a bug in version 1.0 which leads to pulsating residue. Couldn't get the Reverb sections to cancel out, both modulations set to off, the frequency spectrum in the 2-7k range stays the same, meaning it doesn't cancel out in this range. FWIW.

Last edited by cowudders; 1 week ago at 12:27 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp69 View Post
I actually like the interface - maybe it's a danish thing.
Must be; I feel like it is a nice GUI for being ~20 years old, but simply not up to current standards. I know sound is the most important thing but who wants to buy expensive software that still looks like it came out at the same time as Windows '98 (which it did, roughly). If I were TC I at least wouldn't want my customers to be reminded of that fact every time they open an instance.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit monga View Post
Very nice vocal reverb. Do you remember what starting preset was used on vocals?
there was a preset called Female Vocal Hall or something like that, I think that one was the one I used as a starting point...it was I believe the last preset in the vocal folder....best

R
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Very strange, wanted to demo this as well. Not working on PT 11.3.2 HD ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakeoutstudios View Post
So, I'm not the only one!

I paid for it, not impressed it doesn't work on Pro Tools 12 OSX Sierra!
Old 1 week ago
As a user, paid the first time good money, I have to pay a second time, for porting the impossible code??? ... nope, sorry. Not gonna happen. I switched long time ago to Bricasti and Valhalla. These 79 USD I will use for something else.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustmedia View Post
As a user, paid the first time good money, I have to pay a second time, for porting the impossible code??? ... nope, sorry. Not gonna happen. I switched long time ago to Bricasti and Valhalla. These 79 USD I will use for something else.
Not a PoCo user here, but I agree it's kinda absurd that TC charges such good amount of money for something that people had paid the money for. I mean, look at SSL Duende. They offered free crossgrade of the whole range of Duende plugins to the Native 64 bit version. I could look at it like SSL being very generous by a large margin in comparison to TC, or TC having a hard time that they need to charge their loyal customers to remain in the business.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Sergeant View Post
Have to disagree strongly with you on this, the VSS3 can sound really fabulous on Vocals, it has a sound unavailable anywhere else, I have missed it a lot, I have most plugins, UAD reverbs and even high end hardware like bricasti M7 and I can honestly say the TC VSS3 powercore has been missed and I'm really glad to have it back.
I was just making the point, it's very genre and style oriented.

It's a highly personal thing, I have ALL the powercore reverbs, ALL the UAD reverbs and for the kind of vocal tracks I cut there isn't a single Powercore reverb I would pick over the EMT250, RMX16 or Lex 224.

I don't look to reverb to introduce space, I'm looking for an "FX reverb" I find the VSS3 useless for character reverb.

I did say at the end of my post YMMV and clearly it does :-)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
Very strange, wanted to demo this as well. Not working on PT 11.3.2 HD ...
Is there anyone out there that's running AAX64 succesfully on a mac?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
Must be; I feel like it is a nice GUI for being ~20 years old, but simply not up to current standards. I know sound is the most important thing but who wants to buy expensive software that still looks like it came out at the same time as Windows '98 (which it did, roughly). If I were TC I at least wouldn't want my customers to be reminded of that fact every time they open an instance.
I love the System 6000 plugins GUI's.

These things are so subjective.

I also really like Fabfilter plugins, for me if I have my choice all my plugins would be like Fabfilter, TC or DMG.

I don't need a silly "cartoon" picture of the hardware they're emulating, which I've always seen as just marketing BS.

Sadly most of my plugins are of the "cartoon" variety, but hopful the Fabfilter approch will become more of the norm.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
Is there anyone out there that's running AAX64 succesfully on a mac?
Interesting. Especially since their press release states that it'll work with ANY DAW...

Why produce for AAX if not the latest (and most popular) format? Or are we all missing something here. I'm on PT 12.7 and as a former 6000 owner who misses this reverb I would like to give it a go.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

AAX 64 not working here either, El Capitan on my computer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

TC is late for the party... I loved VSS3 but I was so mad with the company lack of support on my TDM stuff and also for not porting to AAX. Now we have lots of betters options reverb wise. It's time for them to step up and release VSS4 and VSS5. Then we can talk. I prefer to give my my money to Relab that released a plugin based on all TC 6000 verbs...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
I prefer to give my my money to Relab that released a plugin based on all TC 6000 verbs...
How close does Relab's version get us to a real 6000?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

OS Sierra here, but I suspect that the OS isn't the issue.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
How close does Relab's version get us to a real 6000?
Indistinguishable, I A/Bed both, as my colleague owns 6000 system. Sorry to say it in this thread, but VSS3 is not even remotely as great as VSR S24. TC really chose a bad timing for lunching native their older and lesser algorithm, they should have done this few years ago. Because Relab's product really is much superior. VSS3 isn't even a true stereo reverb, while VSS4 and Relab's product are.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search