The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommend me a Mastering Engineer Studio Monitors
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Recommend me a Mastering Engineer

Hey yall,

Been working on a project for quite some time now and I figure it is time to do some research into who I want to handle the mastering. It is obviously going to be a hip hop project, so someone who has good experience with a wide range of hip hop/rap. I'm willing to use anybody who has a good product with good rates, whether it be overseas or local. I'm from Boston but am living in Orlando currently, but face-to-face meeting isn't absolutely necessary.

I've checked out DiscMakers mastering service, and like the price and the ability to get the CD duplication done in the same place, but have seen mixed reviews of the mastering quality.

Any recommendations?
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchGeist View Post
Hey yall,

Been working on a project for quite some time now and I figure it is time to do some research into who I want to handle the mastering. It is obviously going to be a hip hop project, so someone who has good experience with a wide range of hip hop/rap. I'm willing to use anybody who has a good product with good rates, whether it be overseas or local. I'm from Boston but am living in Orlando currently, but face-to-face meeting isn't absolutely necessary.

I've checked out DiscMakers mastering service, and like the price and the ability to get the CD duplication done in the same place, but have seen mixed reviews of the mastering quality.

Any recommendations?
ill do it check my fiverr page / reviews / studio page in my sig professionally Master your Music in one day - fiverr
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Fiverr - sounds like your all set then with your mastering. See, GS really does pay off!
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicJesus View Post
Fiverr - sounds like your all set then with your mastering. See, GS really does pay off!
dont hate congratulate
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Why are you charging so little?!?!! That's gotta be a raw deal for yourself?
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by anstahc View Post
Why are you charging so little?!?!! That's gotta be a raw deal for yourself?
its a good way to get my service out there to the net at little risk to the customer... usually somoene gets one song then they want another and another and then i can turn it into something bigger... plus i can deliver a master quickly on most work and its fun... id rather master work sent to me over the internet then having them come in person actually

i do masters on fiverr for people who want a quick professional master at a low cost using my custom chain... i can spend my time as well thats when i send them to my site for more info / custom orders... for most people u cant go wrong with my service as im beating everyones price and still good quality... although i dont claim to b anything more than i am, im good at what i do - im sure theres better mastering engineers of course but you will pay a whole lot more to get them if they are doing better work than me... anyone even remotely close to my price will not be as good i bet... i custom master every song...
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by light View Post
its a good way to get my service out there to the net at little risk to the customer... usually somoene gets one song then they want another and another and then i can turn it into something bigger... plus i can deliver a master quickly on most work and its fun... id rather master work sent to me over the internet then having them come in person actually
I hear you. A lot of people saying yes to a low price tag beats everyone saying no to a higher one. Do you consider it paying dues for a longer term bigger business or is it just side job fun for you?
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by anstahc View Post
I hear you. A lot of people saying yes to a low price tag beats everyone saying no to a higher one. Do you consider it paying dues for a longer term bigger business or is it just side job fun for you?
side job of course... nah i dont intend to become a mastering engineer that is not my passion... its fun to me...

my passion is my music first but it costs a lot of money, studio fees beats etc... so i built my own studio and it paid for itself by opening it as a small business... but yeah, in no way am i basing it as my whole hustle, just helps both me and other artists, i been doing it for a few years now locally... i just opened the business to the internet and im just getting started, but in the end its a side hustle...

although if somoene called me up and was like "i want you to come work in x studio and ill pay you x amount of dollars" i'd be open to it, but thats not my mission as you can see... i love music i love to learn about all aspects of it and engineering has become a passion... its fun to me to work on other music on the side as you cant be creative as an artist 100% of the time or youd go crazy
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Light, I may have to go through you just to see what you can do. I got to talk to an artist I am working with but I would love to see what you can with a song I have in mind for $5. I am not ecstatic about the mix, nor master but I may send you something soon, if I get the green light. Unfortunately it's too late for release (I believe) but I do want to see what $5 does compared to what we paid someone else.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
Light, I may have to go through you just to see what you can do. I got to talk to an artist I am working with but I would love to see what you can with a song I have in mind for $5. I am not ecstatic about the mix, nor master but I may send you something soon, if I get the green light. Unfortunately it's too late for release (I believe) but I do want to see what $5 does compared to what we paid someone else.
that sounds good to me... if you are unsatisfied for any reason i will refund your money, but i dont think that will happen as I will master a snippet for your ears at no cost... just let me know, thanks
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
that sounds good to me... if you are unsatisfied for any reason i will refund your money, but i dont think that will happen as I will master a snippet for your ears at no cost... just let me know, thanks
Man, for $5, I just want to see what you can do. I actually haven't found anyone in the Bay specifically who I have been super happy with the mix but I often don't get the say. If what you do is up to par with what we are getting, I would rather save some cash. As said, for $5, I can't really go wrong and I would never ask for a refund my dude at the price.

As said, I got to go over it with my dude, he likes to work with people he knows but I am trying to change that and he seems cooler with it lately.

Sorry, I don't mean to thread jack here.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Man, for $5, I just want to see what you can do. I actually haven't found anyone in the Bay specifically who I have been super happy with the mix but I often don't get the say. If what you do is up to par with what we are getting, I would rather save some cash. As said, for $5, I can't really go wrong and I would never ask for a refund my dude at the price.

As said, I got to go over it with my dude, he likes to work with people he knows but I am trying to change that and he seems cooler with it lately.

Sorry, I don't mean to thread jack here.
all good... just hit me up sounds good to me
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Man 5 dollars is pretty much less than people get paid to work at fast food joints.. People that have spend a large chunk of there life studying and perfecting there technical skills should never charge poverty wages for quality work..

I'm not a hater its just pure common sense, that fiver site is destructive.. In America most low skill jobs pay 8-10$ per hour.. I have a minimal mastering studio, which cost me about 30K.. 1/4 of that was on monitoring alone another, 3k on cabling.. that in combination with a good technical skill set, I would/should never charge that low..

These are some factors to consider when encountering very low prices..
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Nut

The thread is "Recommend me a Mastering Engineer". I can recommend you myself. No kidding.

But all went to $5 Fiverr"professional" audio mastering jobs that are obviously done using preset chains, coz nobody works for $1.75/hr (mastering a regular song takes AT LEAST 2.5 hours no matter if it is analog, ITB etc.)

I'm just wondering if these low cost $5 Fivver-best-rated pro-services have lower or higher quality than my $7 automated audio mastering online service at MixMaximizer.com which I (knowing what a real professional audio mastering is) call "maximizer". Any feedback?
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Well, if you think your track needs $5 worth of mastering, you now know where to find it. If you think it needs $7 worth of mastering, well, you're also sorted!

Depending on your goals i'd suggest trying the real thing as well at some point. Getting your stuff heard out there is a serious business. I'd take a guess that you'd be able to master the track yourself to the same standard as these uber-cheap services, if you spend a day practising with any half-decent compressor, limiter and eq plug, and if your monitoring is half decent. Also, the skills you'll learn in the process will be valuable in all future mixes. I dont know what equipment the $5 chap is using because the "studio" link in his website doesnt work on my browser (mac), none of the links work for me (nice site otherwise though!).

Some mastering engineers desribe mastering as being like putting make up on someone's face. True, I'm going to stretch this analogy, but keeping in mind your music is only as good as the weakest link, do you want to go super cheap on mastering? I consider going cheap (still way, way above these guys) for some tracks, because we all have mountains of unfinished work that cant all be treated with luxury mastering. Havnt got around to it yet but it's a reasonable strategy.

My vested interested is that I spend a much more normal amount on mastering. I got my first track signed this month! But I've invested in my music, I know some are on a tight budget, and at these prices there's no harm in experimenting.

I did try fiverr earlier last month, for photoshopping some photos for a blog. The service was quick and did roughly what it said it would, but my instructions weren't followed - the result i got was, i'd say, $5 worth of photoshopping. I'll probably go back at some point (always tempted to get some comedy voiceovers from the many voiceover artists there, e.g. to introduce a mix....)

My 2c

Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umulamahri View Post
Man 5 dollars is pretty much less than people get paid to work at fast food joints.. People that have spend a large chunk of there life studying and perfecting there technical skills should never charge poverty wages for quality work..

I'm not a hater its just pure common sense, that fiver site is destructive.. In America most low skill jobs pay 8-10$ per hour.. I have a minimal mastering studio, which cost me about 30K.. 1/4 of that was on monitoring alone another, 3k on cabling.. that in combination with a good technical skill set, I would/should never charge that low..

These are some factors to consider when encountering very low prices..
i hear you... luckily im in the position where i can offer this service at a price thats outrageously cheap... i spent a bit of change on my setup as well although i didnt design it specifically for mastering but its around 10k

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitvel View Post
The thread is "Recommend me a Mastering Engineer". I can recommend you myself. No kidding.

But all went to $5 Fiverr"professional" audio mastering jobs that are obviously done using preset chains, coz nobody works for $1.75/hr (mastering a regular song takes AT LEAST 2.5 hours no matter if it is analog, ITB etc.)

I'm just wondering if these low cost $5 Fivver-best-rated pro-services have lower or higher quality than my $7 automated audio mastering online service at MixMaximizer.com which I (knowing what a real professional audio mastering is) call "maximizer". Any feedback?
I have my own template that i made for the fiverr jobs but it is custom... It lets me create a master quickly while maintaining a high quality product, i use this template on my own music as well, its not a preset... its a custom chain i made for my mastering work, i dont just set the chain and call it a day... i tweak and i adjust what needs to be done just depending on what the song needs... sometimes i only use part of the chain sometimes i use the whole chain sometimes i add stuff thats not in the chain but it starts with the chain for efficiency and im constantly updating it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
Well, if you think your track needs $5 worth of mastering, you now know where to find it. If you think it needs $7 worth of mastering, well, you're also sorted!

Depending on your goals i'd suggest trying the real thing as well at some point. Getting your stuff heard out there is a serious business. I'd take a guess that you'd be able to master the track yourself to the same standard as these uber-cheap services, if you spend a day practising with any half-decent compressor, limiter and eq plug, and if your monitoring is half decent. Also, the skills you'll learn in the process will be valuable in all future mixes. I dont know what equipment the $5 chap is using because the "studio" link in his website doesnt work on my browser (mac), none of the links work for me (nice site otherwise though!).

Some mastering engineers desribe mastering as being like putting make up on someone's face. True, I'm going to stretch this analogy, but keeping in mind your music is only as good as the weakest link, do you want to go super cheap on mastering? I consider going cheap (still way, way above these guys) for some tracks, because we all have mountains of unfinished work that cant all be treated with luxury mastering. Havnt got around to it yet but it's a reasonable strategy.

My vested interested is that I spend a much more normal amount on mastering. I got my first track signed this month! But I've invested in my music, I know some are on a tight budget, and at these prices there's no harm in experimenting.

I did try fiverr earlier last month, for photoshopping some photos for a blog. The service was quick and did roughly what it said it would, but my instructions weren't followed - the result i got was, i'd say, $5 worth of photoshopping. I'll probably go back at some point (always tempted to get some comedy voiceovers from the many voiceover artists there, e.g. to introduce a mix....)

My 2c

thanks for the feedback ill test my site out, any info on what browser your using and why it isnt working id like to fix that up! also if you got a track mastered with me theres no way anyone would know you paid $5 im doing close to the real pros for a super cheap price

ok just updated site and checked it on safari unfortunately there is a problem since i built it with Wix its not 100 percent compatible, on safari you have to reload page in order to navigate site... this thread just made me do some reasearch and find out its a widespread problem... strange!!! ill let u know soon as wix releases an update
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

light is totally ripping you off at $5 for one track.

you can get all your tracks done for $5

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mast...751660894?mt=8

now if you want actual mastering done, that's a whole different topic and it will be more expensive than $5.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

That's a super-impressive roster you've got there (on your website)! Destiny's child, wtf! Great photos too

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moran View Post

now if you want actual mastering done, that's a whole different topic and it will be more expensive than $5.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
i hear you... luckily im in the position where i can offer this service at a price thats outrageously cheap... i spent a bit of change on my setup as well although i didnt design it specifically for mastering but its around 10k
Forgive me, I'm not out to personally attack you. but what I am outlining is just pure logic. Trust me I know how hard this industry can be to get into.. There is a number of technical reason why this industry is so costly to get into.. the combined cost of my room, cabling and desk cost more that 10K.. My analogue chain that consisting of three primary units is over 8K.. and Its a minimal set up.

If you feel that your product is good, and your set up is delivering the information that is needed to conduct detailed work.. do your self justice and charge more ..

Quote:
I have my own template that i made for the fiverr jobs but it is custom... It lets me create a master quickly while maintaining a high quality product, i use this template on my own music as well, its not a preset... its a custom chain i made for my mastering work, i dont just set the chain and call it a day... i tweak and i adjust what needs to be done just depending on what the song needs... sometimes i only use part of the chain sometimes i use the whole chain sometimes i add stuff thats not in the chain but it starts with the chain for efficiency and im constantly updating it

Setting up the chain is the quick part of the job.. few clicks of the mouse and a few switch flips, even if its from scratch.. Once I have listened to the track for a bit, I know exactly what tools I want to use.

Like I said, I am just trying to interject perspective to the readers here that might be considering.. Yes the 5ver site bugs me, I do think it promotes a destructive devaluing mind set to people that might be looking for professional services for the first time.. Quality music production is not cheap for a reason..

Its not my intention to derail this thread any more than it has..
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
the 5ver site bugs me, I do think it promotes a destructive devaluing mind set to people that might be looking for professional services for the first time.. Quality music production is not cheap for a reason..
+1
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

I know this have become a $5 mastering thread and I just want to state one thing. I used Light's service for fun, but also to see if this could be a potential resource for music I make that I don't intend to sell. I sent him a track that was professionally mix. I also had it professional mastered and had a direct comparison. To my surprise, it was pretty damn similar. He didn't get to hear the professional master before, in fact, he never heard it. I don't claim I had the most immaculate mix, or the most immaculate master but I paid good money. He got close. I told him he needs to charge more. In some instances, you get more than you pay for.

However, I already knew what was up with him and his reasoning behind his prices. What is funny is I needed permission from someone to even let this happen. The person was not excited about it but I told him to just give me a try. Ironically, they both know each other and there were no names listed on the track (Rich say's what's up Light).

Anyway, I know I am off topic but I would use this for projects I can't afford a big investment in and that's that.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting your experience. thought I should state that I do not know the quality level of lights work. My comments are not directly amid at him personally but more to the business model of the rock bottom price..

This forum gets a good amount of traffic..

@Light : It would put a smile on my face to see you ditch that site and increase your price..
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Why not post them both, and not say which is which? even the $5 chap would benefit as, at a guess, i think the the thread might keep going a while if you did...

Quote:
I know this have become a $5 mastering thread and I just want to state one thing. I used Light's service for fun, but also to see if this could be a potential resource for music I make that I don't intend to sell. I sent him a track that was professionally mix. I also had it professional mastered and had a direct comparison. To my surprise, it was pretty damn similar. He didn't get to hear the professional master before, in fact, he never heard it. I don't claim I had the most immaculate mix, or the most immaculate master but I paid good money. He got close. I told him he needs to charge more. In some instances, you get more than you pay for.

However, I already knew what was up with him and his reasoning behind his prices. What is funny is I needed permission from someone to even let this happen. The person was not excited about it but I told him to just give me a try. Ironically, they both know each other and there were no names listed on the track (Rich say's what's up Light).

Anyway, I know I am off topic but I would use this for projects I can't afford a big investment in and that's that.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why not post them both, and not say which is which? even the $5 chap would benefit as, at a guess, i think the the thread might keep going a while if you did...
Unfortunately I can't. It's an unreleased, for profit song I only own 50% of. Light hasn't even heard but ironically, he knows the other half so hopefully I may be able to get it to him.

I knew when I posted my experience that someone would ask. For all of those people, why not spend the $5. I was curious and that was my only reason to try.

As for everyone who says raise the prices, trust me, I already told the guy. I have had worse for way more money.

Sorry, again, not trying to off topic, just answering posts.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moran View Post

that actually looks cool... id be wiling to try it

Quote:
Forgive me, I'm not out to personally attack you. but what I am outlining is just pure logic. Trust me I know how hard this industry can be to get into.. There is a number of technical reason why this industry is so costly to get into.. the combined cost of my room, cabling and desk cost more that 10K.. My analogue chain that consisting of three primary units is over 8K.. and Its a minimal set up.

If you feel that your product is good, and your set up is delivering the information that is needed to conduct detailed work.. do your self justice and charge more ..

Setting up the chain is the quick part of the job.. few clicks of the mouse and a few switch flips, even if its from scratch.. Once I have listened to the track for a bit, I know exactly what tools I want to use.

Like I said, I am just trying to interject perspective to the readers here that might be considering.. Yes the 5ver site bugs me, I do think it promotes a destructive devaluing mind set to people that might be looking for professional services for the first time.. Quality music production is not cheap for a reason..

Its not my intention to derail this thread any more than it has..
i understand, i should be charging more but im just starting my online service and i really have no credits with any major artist... no degree to my name either... just my word and my work... who would choose me as a mastering engineer or mixing engineer at a high price when they can get someone whos proven and experienced... i just started this online service not even a month ago so thats why its cheap... id like to get my name out there first and a clientele base then raise the prices to something respectable... i understand where your coming from for sure though...

Quote:

thank you for this reply yes your song was great and im suprised who it was tell him i said whats up its all good! it really is a small world lol... plz everybody take it from 3rd degree his review is unbiased and i really appreciate you reviewing my service honestly... your getting a whole lot more than $5 worth... its a very affordable service for people on the grind like me and its a good way for me to start my business

Quote:
Thanks for posting your experience. thought I should state that I do not know the quality level of lights work. My comments are not directly amid at him personally but more to the business model of the rock bottom price..

This forum gets a good amount of traffic..

@Light : It would put a smile on my face to see you ditch that site and increase your price..
i will... just getting started with my business, once it picks up i will increase the price... i made about 10k from my studio and took the money and moved to LA to see if i could get in the industry... long story short after working with some platinum artists and realizing i learned that i dont need the industry and i came back up to berkeley, ca but ever since i lost all my clients, so im basically starting from scratch... nobody knows me or my business really i really have no credits to name or degree so im just trying to restart from humble beginnings... btw this is a side hustle, as my main focus is my own music, the studio just kinda came about naturally

Quote:
that would be cool with me

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't. It's an unreleased, for profit song I only own 50% of. Light hasn't even heard but ironically, he knows the other half so hopefully I may be able to get it to him.

I knew when I posted my experience that someone would ask. For all of those people, why not spend the $5. I was curious and that was my only reason to try.

As for everyone who says raise the prices, trust me, I already told the guy. I have had worse for way more money.

Sorry, again, not trying to off topic, just answering posts.
thanks 3rd degree appreciate your responses
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:

My 2c

Thanks for the YT video! That was freakin' funny as all get out! LOL
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search