The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for Mastering of Rock Album
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Looking for Mastering of Rock Album

I am in the process of recording a rock album in the vein of Anthrax, Overkill etc. I have one track that I'd like to send to a few mastering houses for testing purposes (basically choose the one I like best)

Is this possible? Do things work this way? After choosing, of course I would compensate for the services.

Any help, thoughts would be appreciated!!

BTW- Located in the Philadelphia area if that matters.

Last edited by guitarzandstuff; 16th September 2011 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Location added
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarzandstuff View Post
I am in the process of recording a rock album in the vein of Anthrax, Overkill etc. I have one track that I'd like to send to a few mastering houses for testing purposes (basically choose the one I like best)

Is this possible? Do things work this way? After choosing, of course I would compensate for the services.
Sure, almost any ME will be willing to master one song for you, but you should be willing to pay them for their work upfront.

Wouldn't you want to get paid for your time and effort?
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorneau View Post
Sure, almost any ME will be willing to master one song for you, but you should be willing to pay them for their work upfront.

Wouldn't you want to get paid for your time and effort?
Allen... I am not looking for free work, just a small sample of what the final product could sound like before committing to the project.

I cannot pay 8-12 "potential" Mastering Houses...
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Nut

PM with details sent.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarzandstuff View Post
Allen... I am not looking for free work, just a small sample of what the final product could sound like before committing to the project.

I cannot pay 8-12 "potential" Mastering Houses...
all good, you are asking for a free sample, which in online mastering business is rather 'standard' option

peace
Old 17th September 2011
please check our client list. Test master is for free.

best,
Peter "Pluto" Neuber

Mega Wimp Sound- mastering place for metal, grind, punk and all kinds of acoustic warfare since 1997
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

sent you PM.
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Addict

PM Sent!
Old 5th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteringMatters View Post
It is right, it's a popular scam for people to send tracks to different mastering houses as demos in order to get a free mastering job. Most reputable studios won't do free demos for that reason and they shouldn't have to.
well, good and secure option is to do not send full mastered track, but just 90-120 sec sample
Old 6th October 2011
To be fair, the time involved in listening, assessing and setting up one track to provide even a 30 second sample may not be much less involved than the time/effort needed for a whole track. If you want 100% put into it.

Additionally, the result of a sample may or may not have any bearing at all on a finished version within the greater context of other tracks.
Old 6th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post
To be fair, the time involved in listening, assessing and setting up one track to provide even a 30 second sample may not be much less involved than the time/effort needed for a whole track. If you want 100% put into it.

Additionally, the result of a sample may or may not have any bearing at all on a finished version within the greater context of other tracks.
Absolutely! 100 agree,
I even explain it at my website, that free sample takes exactly same time ( and I always master whole track, and then edit it and send just a part) and effort as mastering whole song,
that's the reason I always ask for a whole song from client, and for a 'ready to go' mix not just a version
free sample unfortunately could be abused by some folks...
and there's no way to avoid it, if you have online mastering service, and you are not Ted Jensen, so you have to offer free sample

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search