The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dave McNair - Sterling Sound
Old 29th April 2012
  #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMF View Post
Their charges are truly outrageous. See attached.




That has to be an error in their cost calculator form! I believe that hourly rate for Ted but there is no way he's charging 5 million for a master CD with a reference CD package!

And +1 on hearing some details about Dave's new spot if true.
Old 29th April 2012
  #32
Lives for gear
 
silverking's Avatar
 

OK, for those of us in the "no-news" hinterlands............where did Dave go?

Details?
Old 29th April 2012
  #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverking View Post
OK, for those of us in the "no-news" hinterlands............where did Dave go?

Details?
I actually got the details from Dave tonight. I don't want to speak on his behalf but I can confirm he has a new spot and it's pretty killer.
Old 29th April 2012
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Cellotron's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMF View Post
Their charges are truly outrageous. See attached.

What Sterling doesn't tell you is they do all their transactions and quotes in Paraguayan Guarani (makes it easier for them to buy all those cartons of "Marlboros" from their Ciudad del Este connection). So that quote actually works out to be a very reasonable $1609.92 in US dollars.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 4th May 2012
  #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsnare View Post
Thanks Keith. I really appreciate the kind words.
To the other posters, also much thanks.
Any mastering engineers will agree having a happy client is a huge part of why we love doing what we do.

Dave
Kudos Dave
Old 26th March 2015
  #36
Here for the gear
 
singerguy2's Avatar
 

Dave,

Which studio did you record the Bob Schneider "The Californian" album in? It it one great sounding record, especially the drums and bass mix.
Old 26th March 2015
  #37
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by singerguy2 View Post
Dave,

Which studio did you record the Bob Schneider "The Californian" album in? It it one great sounding record, especially the drums and bass mix.
That group of songs was recorded in a home studio in Austin owned by a man named Jack Rock. We recorded over 20 songs in just 3 days including overdubs.
The drums were in the dining room area, Bob was in a little booth and played acoustic guitar and sang. All but one vocal is live with the track. The band was so tight that maybe 80% of it is the first take, with a random guitar or bass fix here and there. I mixed at my house all in ProTools 6.4, and it was the first thing I mixed ITB that I was happy with. I later mastered in in a studio I had in Brooklyn in those days.
I'll answer any specific questions you might have if I can remember!

Dave
Old 26th March 2015
  #38
Here for the gear
 
singerguy2's Avatar
 

Thanks for responding Dave! It's not surprising that most of that album is mostly 1 live take because Bob and his band are all top notch musicians. Kudos to you for capturing such a refreshing live sound that stands out from most studio albums!

I was looking into recording an EP in Austin which led me to start researching studios and one of the first albums I thought of was "The Californian" because of your awesome mixing and engineering. Well I guess that studio is out the window

I guess one question I have about the recording is how did you get the sweet distorted bass sound? Was it Bruce Hughes' sound coming out of the amp/di or did you add some drive later in the mix?
Old 27th March 2015
  #39
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by singerguy2 View Post
Thanks for responding Dave! It's not surprising that most of that album is mostly 1 live take because Bob and his band are all top notch musicians. Kudos to you for capturing such a refreshing live sound that stands out from most studio albums!

I was looking into recording an EP in Austin which led me to start researching studios and one of the first albums I thought of was "The Californian" because of your awesome mixing and engineering. Well I guess that studio is out the window

I guess one question I have about the recording is how did you get the sweet distorted bass sound? Was it Bruce Hughes' sound coming out of the amp/di or did you add some drive later in the mix?
Sans Amp plugin in ProTools. IIRC the bass was direct and clean.
There are a ton of good studios in Austin. I'd look at Matchbox, Aerie, The Bubble, and Wire Recording for starters.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump