The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hiphop mastering in the US
Old 14th November 2005
Gear Nut

Hiphop mastering in the US

I'm from holland and I'm planning on having my album mastered in the US. Can anyone give me a price indication and some adresses. I'm talking about professional mastering.
Old 14th November 2005
Lives for gear

Sterling Sound has an after hours rate which i think is about 1200 for an album. You will work with an assistant of one of the major guys but they should really know what they are doing. Especially Ryan Smith who works with Ted Jensen. I imagine chris athens guy is pretty good also.
Old 14th November 2005

Adam at Gateway has done a ton of platinum artists, and has started doing more hip hop. He's good and I would give him a shot if you're serious.

http://www.gatewaymastering.com/mast...dam_ayan_t.asp
Old 15th November 2005
Gear Addict

glenn schick in atlanta is the best bang for the buck in the hip hop world.
Old 15th November 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u
Sterling Sound has an after hours rate which i think is about 1200 for an album. .

damn thats hot...i'll have to keep that in mind.
Old 15th November 2005
BTP
Gear Head

WWW.HAR-BAL.COM
Old 15th November 2005
Gear Maniac

Has anyone used this mastering software yet?Supposedly pretty good, as the word seems to go around.I havent tried it first hand yet.Whats the verdict on Har-Bal?
Old 15th November 2005
Lives for gear

umm I would not send something to sterling , just because it´s sterling and have an assistant do it after hours. Send it to Brad @ www.euphonicmasters.com and call it a day.
Old 28th November 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddstone
Has anyone used this mastering software yet?
dont ever be fooled by a complete software package...

Mastering is about matrixing, eqing, and most importantly using your ears. Its a dman hard job and you need to have great ears to do it. Read some CD labels of tracks you like ther sound of to find out where they were done.

There will never be a button you push that master's your song while you make a coffee.
Old 28th November 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco D
glenn schick in atlanta is the best bang for the buck in the hip hop world.
Gotta agree with Disco, Glenn Schick does a great job for a reasonable price.
Old 29th November 2005
BTP
Gear Head

Quote:
dont ever be fooled by a complete software package...

I would dare to say the oposite - don't be fooled by mastering engineers...

most are just overpriced relative to what can be achieved now with software - particularly the one I posted....

if you go to the tutorial section of www.harbal.com

they show you how to harmonically balance your songs ... and for a fraction of the cost of hiring a mastering engineer.

it may seem that there has to be a "catch" being that ,ost mastering engineers charge and arm and a leg ...

guess what..

there isn't..

the only catch is you have to take the time to read and do it yourself.
Old 29th November 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicWyeth
Mastering is about matrixing, eqing, and most importantly using your ears. Its a dman hard job and you need to have great ears to do it. Read some CD labels of tracks you like ther sound of to find out where they were done.

There will never be a button you push that master's your song while you make a coffee.
I agree with you, in all respects.It is a darn tricky 'job' to master a project if you are not schooled in it.And by schooled I mean "done it for years".I feel that good mastering, if ur a focused and very skilled person by nature, can be achieved within a space of 2 years.U thinking "U must be crazy".What I am referring to is that u have already wet ur feet extensively in the audio world and are fimiliar with every aspect that it entails and the importance of each "step" therein.Also, that u have busied urself constantly with mastering project after project and schooled urself with each project on the do's and don'ts and the what works and what doesnt.But, I do still think that it does take a good number of years to truly achieve brilliant mastering skills.Good ears are essential, though different to good mixing ears.

@BTP, I have actually seen that tutorial u speak of as well.It looks good and I am sure that it can help to achieve some good results, but I do still feel that due to the extensive experience of the current mastering engineers and the tricks of the trade they possess, going to them for ur projects would still be the best route.The idea, essentially, is to plough away at the tutorials, such as the har-bal one, u find and start etching ur own way around the process.A way that feels comfortable to u and that achieves the sound and feel that u want from ur project.But, in addition, choosing a ideal mastering engineer to master ur project with whom u can sit and ask questions during the mastering or ur project.Someone from whom u get the benefit of getting a solid mastered project from as well as picking of lots of tricks that can hold u in good steed in the end.Schooling urself initially, helps in terms of asking questions and finding answers during the process to questions u wont easily find in books, etc.U get ur money's worth that way too.Same with the mixing engineer.

The logic is kinda like "Hands on college degree in Audio school".But hey, thats just my views.
Old 29th November 2005
BTP
Gear Head

your right...

but I am speaking from the perspective of what is cost effective.

if you have $5000 to blow on mastering and have the resources to recoup - then go right ahead.

most people simply can't afford a "real" mastering engineer thats been doing it for 20 or 30 years.....
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search