The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for a Mastering Engineer in NYC with a budget of 5,000 Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 20th November 2009
Here for the gear
Looking for a Mastering Engineer in NYC with a budget of 5,000

Looking for a Mastering Engineer in NYC with a budget of 5,000 Any Suggestions?

Hello GS,

I'm a music producer/engineer formally of Loud Records with Steve Rifkind. After 2 years of work I and my colleagues are finally done with a project we are pretty excited about and are now looking for a Highly skilled Mastering Engineer (with experience) who is willing to work with the budget mentioned. (5k)

Ok I ask before spewing off the obvious replies please understand that I realize the value of this work and also that 5k is more like a token of appreciation for some of you but based on the circumstances behind this this most resent endeavor we are forced to keep the budget low.

Even when first approached by this young artist (16 at the time), I had to think long and hard about whether or not I wanted to invest time into a project that didn't come with a budget even close to what I am use to. In the end his overwhelming talent,drive and lack of entitlement won me over. Within the 2 years I took this project on many talented entertainment professionals have jumped aboard and have pushed it beyond our expectations leaving us with a product far from the norm. To say the least we are very excited.

Below I have listed all pertinent info. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Also: Along with the album we will be releasing a companion "The Making Of .... " DVD which will highlight all of the involved parties including the Video Directors, Animators, mixing & mastering engineers.

Genre: Pop
Tracks: 14
Deadline: Jan 29 2010

Sample Music will be provided based on individual responses to private email addresses only. For security purposes I am not able to post the music on GS, please understand and thanks again.

Justin
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

If you're talking 5k US dollars and not Costa Rican colon's - that budget should get you pretty much the pick of anyone here - including even all the higher priced folks at places like Sterling and Masterdisk. My suggestion is to take a look at the credits on your favorite sounding releases and then make inquiries with the mastering engineers who worked on these, and see whose vibe in communication (and also possibly turn time) fits what you are doing best.

fwiw - the price as an unattended session of a 60 minute 14 track album with 2 CD-R masters included would be $605 with me - which would give you $4395 left over from your budget for more promotion for your release - or a serious vacation to celebrate it.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yep, 5k will give you pretty much your pick of anyone. My suggestion is find comparable artists and check the credits. Or take recommendations, and check the engineer's demo reel. Take your time, and find someone who is willing to work WITH you. Anyone on here can give you several recommendations. I am not a mastering engineer but I can certainly recommend a few.

Attended sessions can be cool, but not usually necessary. Check her or his recall policy.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'll do it for $4,995.00.

That'll leave ya five bucks for a cab ride [hopefully you're within a few blocks of Sterling].

In all seriousness, 5K is nothing to be ashamed of and will get you just about anyone.

Good hunting!
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, with that budget you can get just about anyone but I'd suggest heading over to Sterling Sound! heh
Old 20th November 2009
5k, that's it!?!

There are tons of great mastering engineers in NYC.

I will recommend Scott Hull (Masterdisc) and Dave McNair (Sterling Sound).

That being said you have many options to choose from in NYC and a nice sized budget to take your pick of the litter so to speak.

I agree with the above and start looking at the credits on some of your favorite albums and go from there.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

LOOK IN THE CREDITS OF YOUR FAVORITE RECORDS.

PICK UP THE PHONE.

DONE.

- c
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac
for $5k, I'll fly you out to LA and put you up in Hotels, meals included, (and master the record, please pay in advance)

let us know who you get.

credit, I did two Alkaholiks albums for Loud

sh
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'll pay for your Hotel accommodations in New York City. How about that?
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Ok here it goes...( i think i got a winner offer)

Come over to greece have some holiday and get a great master from me...

;p

Now I wann see who s gonna beat this offer...;p
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

lol @ hotel or vacation offers.

without pointing fingers, i cringe at the thought of the money people are paying when some of these studios are "kicking out" like 15-20 tracks per engineer per day, and actually book their schedules FULL like that. that goes way beyond an excellent work-flow. there's no extra time to give if a track isn't perfect. there's no time to even care if it's perfect or not. and no time to "sit" on a track for a while to let it "sink in" to the ME's subconscious decision making process.

not all studios are like this. but some are. some of their engineers even post here, and admit to handling that kind of work load. work being an appropriate word.

my advice would be to require an in-person mastering session, with yourself and 1-2 of your most trusted ears of the project, at a place that can accommodate that they will work on it until you guys/gals are perfectly happy with it. force it to get the attention it deserves. $5,000 ought to be worth that these days.
Old 20th November 2009
Scott Hull at Masterdisk
Old 20th November 2009
Here for the gear
OK and the winner is...

Chris Athens from Sterling Sound.

I appreciate all of the quick responses and support. You guys are great and I will update you once the final product is complete. There are a couple of you I will speak to later that PM'd me with great offers about other projects I have coming up.

Regards Justin
Old 21st November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
LOOK IN THE CREDITS OF YOUR FAVORITE RECORDS.

PICK UP THE PHONE.

DONE.

- c
This gives you no idea how the mixes came in and what was done after wards.

Are you happy with mixes as they are right now? Are you hoping for some kind of transformation into a "radio or record" type of sound? If so then i suggest to redo the mixes until you are fully happy and could go with them as is. If not you will be disappointed and broke afterwards.

Better to have a couple of different ME's do some test masters and see who best fits into what you are looking for and can give you what you want. Here in NYC especially where some mediocre ME's coat tail on the fact that Sterling and Masterdisk charge what they do and feel that gives them right to do the same as well.

And by all means if you are really going to pay $5K than by all means attend. Don't let anyone talk you out of it.
Old 21st November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWILLIAMS View Post

I appreciate all of the quick responses and support. You guys are great and I will update you once the final product is complete. There are a couple of you I will speak to later that PM'd me with great offers about other projects I have coming up.

Regards Justin
Good choice, he's my favorite (and hey, he's leaving you 5bucks for a cab ride so!)
Old 21st November 2009
Here for the gear
Quote:
Good choice, he's my favorite (and hey, he's leaving you 5bucks for a cab ride so!
Actually he's leaving me enough to vacation down in Miami for a week or so

(And I agree with you totally Thrill)

Thanks again everyone.
JW
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

I'll do it for you at my normal price, much less than $5000, and you can use the money you have left over to promote your album.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTuxedo View Post
I'll do it for you at my normal price, much less than $5000, and you can use the money you have left over to promote your album.
-a- you're too late
-b- you're from atlanta

this topic should be closed.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Old 22nd November 2009
Here for the gear
I agree ..Please close topic

Please close topic.. I have chosen.
Old 23rd November 2009
Want to let us know who you went with?
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric View Post
Want to let us know who you went with?
He did - 9 posts above.
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Please close topic.. I have chosen.
O.k. - but can you please tell us why you thought you had to apologize for 5k US? That is serious over-money as everyone said. Just curious. Wish I had that in my production budgets!

SB
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Regards Justin
Great pick Justin, Chris Athens does excellent work and is a cool dude as well
Top Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search