The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Disc Makers or Oasis as mastering? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelliott View Post
Unfortunately we have had to tell people that without a remix/recording it's virtually useless to have their project mastered. Did it less than an hour ago. We've had plenty of people leave and plenty go back and remix. In fact, we offer a free service for potential clients to send in their mixes for feedback. That's why I can't see how you can "honestly" say you're just being honest. You don't really know the facts to be honest about.

"just ignore it" - consider it done
I know that you work for DM, since you're on their website and your avatar is the DM mastering room. I'm not here to discredit you whatsoever, and I know one of the other MEs at DM (although we haven't spoken in years).... but what makes me very wary of trusting you guys to be good MEs is the lack of credits. Where the f*ck are they? Where can I hear your work? Other than the 3 examples on your website, you got nothing I can go and reference. That would be massively helpful in building a better reputation than DM has right now.

You have to know that this kind of reaction is bound to occur. For DM, mastering is a value added service, one which would not exist for DM without their duplication division. That is why people (audio people, mostly) are not likely to assume that your MEs can do a good job. Other mastering engineers build their own rooms and put together their own gear list. You guys have a room and hire some dudes to run the gear with the financial backing of a larger operation. Clear and real difference, if you ask me.... but that does NOT mean that you aren't capable of doing a killer mastering job.

It's really the lack of proof that makes it hard for other people in the business to take DM mastering services seriously. If there is a resource somewhere that says which DM mastering engineer mastered who's album, that would be great. Otherwise, good luck proving professionalism.
Old 20th August 2008
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
Also IMO, this mastering forum maybe not the right one to start a frenzy of hearsay...

Well said.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
Well said.
Right, but the poster who said that seems to be the one doing most of the critisizing and hearsay, was not my intention of the topic, and I appologize to DM and any other ME's who were attacked, was not the intention of this topic

I guess I figured the mastering forum was a good place to ask if anyone had first hand real world experience, perhaps I should of asked elsewhere..

PoorGlory made some good comments, It is always nice to see a list of clients and discography, even if its not super impressive, it shows finished work and inspires confidence.

peace
Old 20th August 2008
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energie View Post
Right, but the poster who said that seems to be the one doing most of the critisizing and hearsay, was not my intention of the topic, and I appologize to DM and any other ME's who were attacked, was not the intention of this topic

I guess I figured the mastering forum was a good place to ask if anyone had first hand real world experience, perhaps I should of asked elsewhere..

PoorGlory made some good comments, It is always nice to see a list of clients and discography, even if its not super impressive, it shows finished work and inspires confidence.

peace
Ah well .... I hadn't noticed....... but since you pointed it out I'd like to add that some people have actually had direct experience. Some are reporting relayed information. You just need to ignore those and read the first hand experiences.

Old 20th August 2008
Gear Guru

To me this should be moved to the "Mastering Wanted" section ... as the question he really meant to ask was, "What are the best mastering options for $500 or less"

If it were there, not here, this would all be fine.
Old 20th August 2008
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
To me this should be moved to the "Mastering Wanted" section ... as the question he really meant to ask was, "What are the best mastering options for $500 or less"

If it were there, not here, this would all be fine.
Done, however even in the "where to" hearsay is not cool and good behaviour is appreciated. heh
Old 20th August 2008
BUT THAT WASN'T WHAT HIS QUESTION WAS!!!!

Energie is wondering: has anybody used DM or Oasis? And do you have a preference?

Simmer down folks.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post

Energie is wondering: has anybody used DM or Oasis? And do you have a preference?

Simmer down folks.

Righto

that was the question
Old 3rd October 2008
dax
Gear Head

I like discmakers

I've copied this form another thread. It's relevant to your question.

I'm know I'm late to this party but I just finished a project with Discmakers mastering. I couldn't be more thrilled with the results. I worked with Graham Goldman. He and I spoke several times over the course of the project. After his initial run on it, I had two revisions made, which he and I talked about before hand. I also sent in a reference track for volume. He's done a fantastic job! There was no feeling of trying to "get it done" or "batch processing". He really worked hard on my project and wanted to make sure I was happy. He never was off putting or annoyed when I had revisions or questions.

I'm used to spending $1000-$1500, I know what to expect and what proper mastering should sound like. For $490, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Discmakers to anyone. It IS comparable to the high-dollar facilities. ( I would actually say this is one the best mastering experiences I've had). I think something people should keep in mind is that 1) this stuff is VERY subjective, what clearly sounds like crap to you might be sonic nirvana to someone else and, 2) Don't be afraid to make revisions, also be as specific as possible regarding how you want it to sound, I think reference for volume is necessary especially in this day and age of "The Loudness Wars". Obviously my tips are for those who are new to mastering. Once again, I think they've done a great job. Also, i did send in stereo .wav files 24 bit 44.1 which was no problem (someone was saying other wise on another thread).
-Dax
Old 11th July 2009
The biggest issue in mastering seems to be finding the right pair of ears for your project.
With the big dupe houses, I don't know how many people work as MEs, but I have heard projects that didn't get mastered right by both of these entities subsequently get sent to a real mastering house and the difference was like night and day. Unfortunately, I have also heard projects sent to major mastering facilities that were not even close to being done right, but when they were read the riot act, they produced the goods. I think the few good ears are swamped with projects, and in order to make $ they hire assistant MEs to take a lot of the work. If you're not happy with the mastering job, make sure they know it, and if they can't produce, don't be afraid go somewhere else. You may have someone doing your project that just doesn't make the right decisions based on their ears, and maybe never will. Don't beat yourself up over someone else's failure to produce.
Old 31st August 2010
Here for the gear

DM Mastering

The one time I heard a disc the did it was a friends band and I didn't like it. Before I go into what or why I didn't like it (it sounded bad - eq, levels, compression) the problem was the mixes sounded bad. So, the DM master was bad mixes, but louder.

Consequently, I don't think my one CD they mastered tells us much. .. at first.

Then, I got to thinking. Working with some other guys (see the ads in Tape Op for them). Some of them charge above DM rates by a little, but every time I sent a mix with an issue to the two I've worked with, they sent it back with a: "Do you really want to use this mix and here's why I'm concerned."

Now, that is a delicate proposition for any ME to send back a mix. But I wonder why it didn't happen with my friend's CD. To be fair, I don't know if the DM engineer (there is no credit - just Mastered at DiscMakers) called the band to ask about the mixes or if he didn't or if he did and the band said they loved the mixes.

I don't know. I think if you're shopping for mastering at $500 you have A LOT of options out there that out-of-the-gate seem like better choices. If it were no mastering or mix-engineer mastering vs. DM, I would say DM 100 times out of 100. But its not. Its DM vs many good indie shops.

I don't doubt that the engineers at DM may be good engineers ----What I do wonder is how many CDs they do a day? It has to be like McDonalds in there. I would rather someone worked on my CD or maybe mine and another in one day. There is no way DM guys do one CD per day and go home. This is a concern to me. Maybe some people do 8 CDs a day. More power to them.

YMMV. This is conjecture past the one experience I had.
Old 31st August 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:

Simmer down folks.
Those are not answerable questions ... they have many engineers, and they don't put the MEs name on it, so there is no point in even asking the question. You can't compare random work with random work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dax View Post

I'm used to spending $1000-$1500, I know what to expect and what proper mastering should sound like. For $490, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Discmakers to anyone. It IS comparable to the high-dollar facilities.
Just to clarify: $1000-1500 is not high end. It's low-high dollar, or high-low dollar. It's the middle.
Old 31st August 2010
Gear Maniac

What I do wonder is how many CDs they do a day? It has to be like McDonalds in there. I would rather someone worked on my CD or maybe mine and another in one day. There is no way DM guys do one CD per day and go home.

Just to answer your question... we take whatever time is needed for a project. If it needs more time it gets more time. We do not push them out or have a quota per se. We do a lot of projects but we get them done by employing 7 engineers - going in 2 shifts from 7am to 11pm.

We have an issue getting album credits because of the business model. People usually finish their artwork before we get to master it... among other issues.

As far as returning mixes --- as you said, its a slippery slope but we do talk to clients regularly about their mixes. If there is something "wrong" (unintended distortion, glitches) it gets kicked back. If its a matter of preference then I just realize that its not my album but the artists.

Most of the time when a client is warned about a mix (even for the obviously unintended glitches, etc...) they choose to not change it. Unbelievable but true. For some, ease and release parties supercede quality.... these people never "make it".

So we make judgment as to whether or not to kick something back because WE think the mix isn't that good.

Some appreciate the feedback. Other detest it. At our price point, that's the nature of our clientele.
Old 31st August 2010
One thing I would say as avice to the OP, these days large runs of CD's are a waste of money unless you're gigging a lot and have the opportunity to sell disks on gigs, both replicators are in the business of replicating cd's, so unless you can do a short run at a reasonable rate with either place, or if you do in fact have the ability to sell a lot of cd's, I'd recommend putting your money into the mastering, and getting a short run of disks minus all the extra's you get from either replicator. If you believe the ME at the replicator is the best man for the job by all means hire him.
Old 4th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
One thing I would say as avice to the OP, these days large runs of CD's are a waste of money unless you're gigging a lot and have the opportunity to sell disks on gigs, both replicators are in the business of replicating cd's, so unless you can do a short run at a reasonable rate with either place, or if you do in fact have the ability to sell a lot of cd's, I'd recommend putting your money into the mastering, and getting a short run of disks
True, but...

...there's also the argument that if you're really serious about getting somewhere you ought to be giving away several hundred CDs as promo and review copies to: magazines, fanzines, local & national newspapers, bloggers, radio stations, internet radio stations, journalists, live music promoters and festival organisers across the world.
Old 10th November 2010
Lives for gear

One thing I discovered about both of them is that if you do a large run - then a short run - the graphics on the short run won't look as good because they don't use their 'big' printer. This is what a friend of mine was recently told when she had a second short run done after an initial large run. She was pretty annoyed, she said it looked really unprofessional like it had been printed on someone's home printer. They said 'too bad' read the fine print
Old 11th November 2010
Lives for gear

I heard somehwere they are both of the same parent company. I mean, different brick and mortar
locations, though very near each other, but they've both been started by the same company. My
experience with them was good. Very patient with revisions, and sending printed material, so you
see your artwork as it will appear on paper, is helpful. I'd gone to a very well branded as the 'less
expensive' but still large competitor. When hidden charges, the PDF only, no paper proofs, & more
came into play. The fees, to get revisions. The terrible communication was factored in, there was
no real savings, and less value. Their quality of on-Disc printing in larger run replication was awful.
I guess you get what you pay for, and you'll really not pay much more for DiscMakers or Oasis. As
far as mastering, that is done by me, so I have no opinion. But I like their 1 X glass master option.
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. View Post
I heard somehwere they are both of the same parent company.
Ding ding ding.

The 1x is quite good, DM was puzzled why no one went to them for it. Now they do it rather often and get good feedback.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Simmer down folks.
Many of my clients have used DM and everyone was perfectly happy with the results. These are the same clients that use the guys that hang out here and some of the bigger names in my particular city. Its all based on budget and personal prefs. Dm has always guaranteed their work for me and I cant imagine they would not do the same for you. Do I have a personal preference? Yes. When the budget allows I always send my clients to the "guy" I use.

OP. Your budget is not uncommon for today. I know many people will try to make you believe that nothing good can come of a 500$ mastering job but that is not true. I recently took a project to one of my favorite ME's and based on his hourly rate the CD was only a tad over your budget. This is a highly respected person in the industry and he has plenty of gold and platinum on his walls to back up his work and rates.

If you just cant bring yourself to use DM then let some of the guys here give you a quote. Some of the finest mastering engineers in this industry have read this thread and some have even posted in this thread as well. Just take quotes on the gig. You never know until they hear the work.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search