The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Bob Katz Good Choice For Electronic?
Old 3rd May 2019
Gear Nut

Bob Katz Good Choice For Electronic?

Hi,

Although Bob's credits are certainly not EDM/acid/etc, I'm halfway through his mastering book and I find it excellent. He seems like an efficient professional with tons of experience. His rates are decent.

Would he be a fair choice to master an electronic album, even though he's not geared to that genre? I feel like on a technical level he'd bring out the best of the music.

RD
Old 3rd May 2019
Gear Addict

Mastering job is the less genre-dependant stage of all the production.
A good ME will do a great job on every style; the reason because you see a longer credit list of a music genre or another is just because when the ME makes a success record his/her name becomes connected to that genre, and this will bring more jobs from producers of similar styles.

Taking that matter into account and Bob outstanding skills you will not be wrong with him for sure.

Last edited by karibu; 3rd May 2019 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 4th May 2019
Listen to Bob's work here, and see if it speaks to you.
Old 5th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick View Post
Listen to Bob's work here, and see if it speaks to you.
It's fair enough but it's hard for me to know how much of that quality is the mixing and how much is the mastering. I guess I'm trying to figure out if a good mastering engineer is significantly bolstered by experience in the genre, or if sonic experience trumps that.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Nut

I'd like to put as an aside, I've received quite a few PM's of people saying things like "I'll master your album for cheap" or "Don't want to say anything against Bob, but he's old and I'm young".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search