The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What to AVOID When Looking for Mastering
Old 22nd February 2019
What to AVOID When Looking for Mastering

This should probably be the topic of a sticky in order to help unsuspecting artists from getting taken advantage of.

It just came up in another thread and I thought it should be in this sub-forum too.

I'll start:

Avoid MEs who make claims like "Grammy winning" or "Thousands of albums mastered" but don't list their credits. Check their actual credits on discogs.com and allmusic.com (imperfect but you can get a sense).

Avoid MEs who don't list their gear or don't have believable pictures showing a legit studio. They might be using a laptop and earbuds!

I recently had a client who wasted hundreds on a complete charlatan who claimed Grammys etc., but had only 5 credits online and no gear list or real pics. It was truly the worst mastering I can recall ever hearing. I see this guy promoting himself heavily online with false claims. I hate that "MEs" like him take advantage of artists and give us all a bad name.

I hope this helps someone!
Old 9th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
This should probably be the topic of a sticky in order to help unsuspecting artists from getting taken advantage of.

It just came up in another thread and I thought it should be in this sub-forum too.

I'll start:

Avoid MEs who make claims like "Grammy winning" or "Thousands of albums mastered" but don't list their credits. Check their actual credits on discogs.com and allmusic.com (imperfect but you can get a sense).

Avoid MEs who don't list their gear or don't have believable pictures showing a legit studio. They might be using a laptop and earbuds!

I recently had a client who wasted hundreds on a complete charlatan who claimed Grammys etc., but had only 5 credits online and no gear list or real pics. It was truly the worst mastering I can recall ever hearing. I see this guy promoting himself heavily online with false claims. I hate that "MEs" like him take advantage of artists and give us all a bad name.

I hope this helps someone!

Avoid those who think louder is better. Otherwise diy and just crank up the compression and make up gain until you see enough red.

Avoid those who charge outrageous fees compared to equally good alternatives.

Listen to some sample work to see how their work really is. I did that to a test CD a MAJOR seller of CD work including mastering offered and found the thing was almost solid red with overs and totally unlistenable.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search