The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering an old album
Old 6th September 2018
Here for the gear
Question Mastering an old album

Hi! Newbie here.

In '99, I recorded an album on ADAT/DAT that I released as-is without any real mastering per se. I'd like to hire a professional mastering engineer to master it so I can re-release it for its 20th anniversary. I no longer have the ADAT source material but instead just lossless FLAC files of the DAT mixdowns.

Any advice on how to proceed, who to approach, etc.? I live in Southern California. Thanks!

Cheers…CJF
Old 10th September 2018
Lives for gear
Southern California has a few serious (and seriously expensive) fully pro mastering studios. Call a few. If they can’t help you, they might be able to point you to the LA specialty studios that might do that work.
Old 10th September 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Southern California has a few serious (and seriously expensive) fully pro mastering studios. Call a few. If they can’t help you, they might be able to point you to the LA specialty studios that might do that work.
That sounds like a good place to start. Would you happen to know the names of some of these pro mastering studios in Southern California?
Old 11th September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfryling View Post
That sounds like a good place to start. Would you happen to know the names of some of these pro mastering studios in Southern California?
Yes.
Old 11th September 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Yes.
Please?
Old 11th September 2018
Lives for gear
Get on your personal device or computer and enter “mastering studio Los Angeles”. Get a list of studios. Either call or go to local ones. But don’t pick one right away.

I would, after visiting some places and getting some cost estimates, call Bernie Grundman Mastering. They are absolutely traditional high quality, and they have a reputation for being very helpful and ethical. Get an estimate from them, if they will accept your project. If you can afford them, do your project there. If they are too busy or far too expensive, ask THEM to recommend a studio that might do your kind of project or is more likely to do it within your budget.
A recommendation in Los Angeles from them means far more than any from me. I haven’t mastered anything in Los Angeles in more than ten years.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search