The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering Rates
Old 18th April 2018
Mastering Rates

Hi,
I am trying to find out what is the going rate to get a single mastered. It is an independent release (no record label). I have gotten a few quotes and the prices are pretty varied... anywhere from €50 to €120. Of course I want the song to be mastered to a high standard but I also don't want to pay above and beyond as my budget is tight and there are four other singles to be mastered.

Here's the tune in question... deserts mix #3 – hallymusic official website

Any advise most welcome

Thanks a mill
hally
Old 18th April 2018
Rates really vary a lot, based upon many factors (experience, overhead, cost of living, how in demand the ME is). The range of rates you've listed puts you firmyl in the professional ME arena, not the scam artists and jack-of-all-trades (though some of those could attempt to charge higher rates too), so just go with whovever you instinctively trust the most. 120 euros for a single is on the higher end of the scale, but it's not in any way a rip-off if the ME does a great job.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Have you approached these ME for a specific reason....you heard their work or they have a reputation for the genre you work in?

If you are blindly asking quotes then the better question to ask might be can anyone recommend a good ME for this type of material? My budget is xxx

If you chose them for a reason then as said, none of the quotes are unreasonable and you just have to decide what you want to pay and if any of those offering that rate are suitable for your project.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Also remember to consider any extras you may need into the price comparison. Many prices will just be for a mastered wav file with additional charges for a DDP/Red Book CD if needed, while others will include certain parts in their price as standard. Also many will offer a free revision or two if needed where others charge.

So it’s always worthwhile just checking what you are getting. As the others have mentioned above, looking for a studio that you know of their reputation and other work will usually help you to greatly narrow it down.

Good luck with the release!
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hally View Post
Hi,
I am trying to find out what is the going rate to get a single mastered. It is an independent release (no record label). I have gotten a few quotes and the prices are pretty varied... anywhere from €50 to €120. Of course I want the song to be mastered to a high standard but I also don't want to pay above and beyond as my budget is tight and there are four other singles to be mastered.

Here's the tune in question... deserts mix #3 – hallymusic official website

Any advise most welcome

Thanks a mill
hally
sounds very reasonable
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Addict

As already written those prices are not over standard, and it's a reasonable range to stay on the professional side.
If you don't know the ME I would suggest to ask for a free sample, many engineers offer It and I think it's always the best way to do a comparison: directly on your mix.
Old 19th April 2018
Gear Nut

How about $39 for one song. And I've mastered over 40,000 since 1999, so I'm highly experienced.

JR Mastering

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search