The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mastering Engineer Recommendation for 5 Song EP - $1000 Budget
Old 26th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Mastering Engineer Recommendation for 5 Song EP - $1000 Budget

Hi guys,

I am putting together a 5 song EP that will need to be mastered. It is in the electronic/rock genre similar to Radiohead or David Bowie. Will be a lot of live instruments (drums, guitars, piano, etc.) recorded at a top studio with some electronic analog synths as well. It is being recorded to 2-inch tape but being transferred and mixed in pro tools. So will be delivering digital files to mastering engineer.

I know the top mastering facilities such as Bob Ludwig, Sterling Sound, Bernie Grundman, etc. are a little pricey for me averaging around $500 a song.

I wanted to know if you guys had any recommendations of great mastering engineers that could get great results similar to Bob Ludwig, Sterling, Bernie Grundman, etc. for around $1,000 for this 5 song EP. The songs average around 4 minutes in length. I was hoping maybe just $200 - $250 a song.

Who are some of the best less known mastering engineers?
Old 26th July 2017
$1000.- i a solid budget for 5 songs, you can get many very good engineers with this budget.
Old 26th July 2017
Lives for gear

Many excellent MEs for half that. Don't shop on price.
Old 26th July 2017
Gear Nut

Quite a few great MEs on the board. Make it fun and get a few guys to do a shootout and see who captures the mojo you're looking for. Whoever wins gets the cash.
Old 26th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmixer View Post
Quite a few great MEs on the board. Make it fun and get a few guys to do a shootout and see who captures the mojo you're looking for. Whoever wins gets the cash.
quiet a few great MEs make no shootouts & this with good reasons.
bob? howie? brian? tom? ted? bernie?
never... and many other fully booked guys too.
you will not get them with this strategy.
Old 26th July 2017
That's a very good budget for 5 songs actually!

Best, JT
Old 26th July 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
quiet a few great MEs make no shootouts & this with good reasons.
bob? howie? brian? tom? ted? bernie?
never... and many other fully booked guys too.
you will not get them with this strategy.
Fair enough. Obv the big ones don't need to compete like this. I was saying maybe he'd find a great second tier guy (his budget anyway) and help a fellow GSer out.
Old 27th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmixer View Post
Fair enough. Obv the big ones don't need to compete like this. I was saying maybe he'd find a great second tier guy (his budget anyway) and help a fellow GSer out.
he's budget aloud him to book a first class engineer.
maybe not the 10 bigest names, but there are many grammy decorated guys for less bookable.
Old 27th July 2017
Gear Guru

Steve Hall. Should be within your budget. Discography out the wazoo.

Future Disc
Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

You can get quite a few top name guys for that price... not Bob or Bernie or Greg but... Jerry at Tera Nova, Dave at McNare Mastering, Bob at Digital Domain, Michael at Coast, etc... there are a lot of guys who do great work that rival the top guys for 100-200.00 per song mark.

What I don't like about the top level guys is the communication factor. You always seem to go through a middle person. I deal direct with every client. Give them multiple versions to choose from and bend over backwards to make sure they are happy. I never got that when I took albums to the top guys back when I was the tracking and mix engineer. Even when you worked with them they rarely talked. Never liked spend 3k on mastering an album and wondering what was left on the table.

BTW, I will just say that I myself have gotten long term clients from all the top name guys (most who remain clients to this day).

PRICE ALONE IS NOT THE WAY TO FIND A MASTERING ENGINEER. Yes, I'm shouting. Find someone you like to work with and work with them. Your music will sound better for it guaranteed!

Best of luck with your project... any of the guys I mentioned will do you justice. (plus there are a whole lot of ME on GS that I didn't mention that could do equally as well for you).
Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

P.S. Yes, Steve at Future Disc is great and has been at it for over 30 years. Great guy as well.

Good luck with your project.
Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Steve Hall. Should be within your budget. Discography out the wazoo.

Future Disc
1990s website from the future!
Old 27th July 2017
Gear Addict

I'm a bit bias on this suggestion but Joao Caravalho in Toronto Canada would suit you needs really well...both from a budget and style perceptive. Us MEs up here in Canada do amazing work too ...don't forget us...LOL.
Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarra View Post
I'm a bit bias on this suggestion but Joao Caravalho in Toronto Canada would suit you needs really well...both from a budget and style perceptive. Us MEs up here in Canada do amazing work too ...don't forget us...LOL.
Sure Mike and any of the fine folks at Lacquer Channel Mastering as well, George, Phil, Noah, etc... all great ME's IMHO.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search