The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wolf Mastering?
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Wolf Mastering?

I have a client who's at the end of his rope (i.e.: budget) on a full-album project -- I'm trying to get him into a major mastering house on the "indie/family" rate, but the artist is not able to swing the $$$.

He has turned me onto Wolf Mastering through a recommendation from a recently signed artist (whose record was originally mastered there and recently remastered at Sterling).

Any comments? I have never heard of Wolf Mastering (he's Nashville & I'm L.A., anyway...), and the rate quote the artist got is significantly lower than the A-list indie rates I encourage every serious artist I mix to save for...to the point of arousing suspicion that the artist is gonna "get what he pays for."

Dammit. This is a really good record -- dare I say, "signable" (from musical, image, age, etc. standpoints) -- so I don't want it f&*ked up in the slightest -- not to mention that in L.A., I'd at least make a point of stopping by to ensure everything goes well.

Also, his gear list on the site is somewhat outmoded, but the artist was apparently told that the site hasn't been updated in a while.

http://www.wolfmastering.com/

Feel free to PM me any info if you'd rather not post on the topic.
Old 9th February 2007
Mastering Moderator

I can't help as I have no info but try and post it in the mastering forum as well.....
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

I'd say the 5 years @ Bernie Grundman is very important. That's a plus, IMO.

Send him a single track to get a demostation of the quality.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

I was with Erik today for several hours, finishing up the project I am working on. It all sounds great to me. He's using the Sadie system, with various outboard analog gear.

Check the Delbert McClinton album he mastered. If you know Justin Niebank (engineered some of it) or Gary Nicholson (producer), maybe you can give one of them a call to see what they thought of it.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

I have no experience with Wolf mastering. Since you are in LA I would recomend that you give Stephen Marsh at Threshold Sound a call. He has mastered about 25 albums for me and the final bill has never been super high. His room is basically the old Sony mastering room moved to a new building.

http://www.thresholdsound.com/bios.swf
Old 9th February 2007
I really like Trevor Sadler from Mastermind Productions. He's not at all in your area, but does a great job - top class.
Old 28th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Eric Wolf.

I know this thread is old..but.. I used him recently.. he is great! Also..check out the positionmusic.com website.. he masters alot of stuff for them..aka celldweller.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear