The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to monitor an Atmos mix in Ambisonic / Binaural
Old 5th December 2019
  #1
Gear Head
 

How to monitor an Atmos mix in Ambisonic / Binaural

Hi,
I am looking for a way to check, QC, listen back (and maybe mix) an Atmos mix (9.1.4) (think 14 discrete mono files) on headphones. I was hoping Waves NX could make it happen, but we are limited to 7.1 there. However, they do offer monitoring in Ambisonics with NX, so if I could just convert my 9.1.4 mix down to that, it could work I suppose.

I am typically mixing through an RMU and I know I can monitor it's binaural output, but this is specifically for when I am away from that system on a laptop or similar and need to QC a layback against my surround mix.

Thoughts?
Old 5th December 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Nick Morris's Avatar
 

I recommend looking here-

https://www.blueripplesound.com/products/o3a-decoding

Great plugins with arguably better sound quality
Old 5th December 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
 
NReichman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvpwnd View Post
Hi,
I am looking for a way to check, QC, listen back (and maybe mix) an Atmos mix (9.1.4) (think 14 discrete mono files) on headphones. I was hoping Waves NX could make it happen, but we are limited to 7.1 there. However, they do offer monitoring in Ambisonics with NX, so if I could just convert my 9.1.4 mix down to that, it could work I suppose.

I am typically mixing through an RMU and I know I can monitor it's binaural output, but this is specifically for when I am away from that system on a laptop or similar and need to QC a layback against my surround mix.

Thoughts?
The entire point behind the development of the Dolby Atmos Production Suite was the need for this workflow. Don't go 3rd-party. Use DAPS.
Old 7th December 2019
  #4
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
I recommend looking here-

https://www.blueripplesound.com/products/o3a-decoding

Great plugins with arguably better sound quality
This might be it. Thank you!
Old 7th December 2019
  #5
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
The entire point behind the development of the Dolby Atmos Production Suite was the need for this workflow. Don't go 3rd-party. Use DAPS.
I hear you, this is probably the best bet, you're right.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump