The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Panning in Dolby Atmos without an RMU?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Panning in Dolby Atmos without an RMU?

I've been searching for hours and can't quite wrap my head around it. I also haven't been able to find a single tutorial video showing someone using the Atmos production suite without an RMU. Please share if you know of any!

I've read that without an RMU, you can't use "object mode", only "bed mode", but can you still pan individual mono and stereo sources? E.g. if I have a scene with two mono dialogue channels, and a stereo channel with a car driving by, could I spatialise and automate them in the Atmos production suite, or do I need something else for the panning, but can still use the Atmos renderer?

My immediate needs are very simple: I want to pan mono and stereo sources around the listener's head, then output to head-locked binaural. I do this all the time with third-party plugins, but a client is keen for it to be done in Dolby Atmos for marketing purposes. Can it be done?

(I don't currently use Pro Tools so can't trial the production suite at the moment but would be willing to switch to work with this client.)

Thanks so much for any help!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I can only give you half the answer I'm afraid (I'm sure others can give you the rest).

The panning probably refers to panning into the beds that are available. So I think that conceptually you can think of it as a 'regular' surround setup that you pan your mono/stereo sources into. When playing that back it'll act that way. You won't get any benefits from what is actually Atmos object panning.

Now, of course, if this is supposed to play back in a head locked binaural environment I'd say you should look into how beds convert to binaural. If that's similar to how objects would be converted then you might be fine. It'd also be fine I suppose if you're sticking to having these sources on the same lateral plane, i.e. not moving vertically (which is where our elevation layer in Atmos would matter). If there's a difference then I suppose you'll need to look into an RMU.

But like I said, my knowledge of actually doing work in Atmos is lacking so I too am interested in seeing what people say about it.

Did you check the post production section? I know we had a discussion about these sorts of things not too long ago...
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.L. View Post
I've been searching for hours and can't quite wrap my head around it. I also haven't been able to find a single tutorial video showing someone using the Atmos production suite without an RMU. Please share if you know of any!

I've read that without an RMU, you can't use "object mode", only "bed mode", but can you still pan individual mono and stereo sources? E.g. if I have a scene with two mono dialogue channels, and a stereo channel with a car driving by, could I spatialise and automate them in the Atmos production suite, or do I need something else for the panning, but can still use the Atmos renderer?

My immediate needs are very simple: I want to pan mono and stereo sources around the listener's head, then output to head-locked binaural. I do this all the time with third-party plugins, but a client is keen for it to be done in Dolby Atmos for marketing purposes. Can it be done?

(I don't currently use Pro Tools so can't trial the production suite at the moment but would be willing to switch to work with this client.)

Thanks so much for any help!
DAPS is great for this. You pan in Pro Tools, and just to be clear, DAPS 100% runs objects and beds. Audio goes to DAPS, and you can monitor the binaural headphone feed coming out of DAPS, which sounds great. The localization is remarkable. You and your client will have a choice about whether to distribute an Atmos-encoded MP4, or whether to simply record the binaural output as a conventional WAV.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search