The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Strange AmbiX Binaural Decoding Problem
Old 9th October 2019
Here for the gear

Strange AmbiX Binaural Decoding Problem

Hello,

first of all: This is my first post on gearslutz so hi!

Now for my post. I have a pretty peculiar immersive audio problem. But first some backstory. We are delivering ambisonics files (among others e.g. stereo/mono) for an immersive installation. We give the company that manages the technical side of things our files and they then implement them into the system using Wwise and Unity. The content is then decoded to binaural and the visitors listen to it on headphones.

During an on-site test of the system a few days back we noticed that the output of the respective ambisonics files (just those - the delivered mono/stereo content was fine) sounded very thin and phasey. The technical company asked for 2nd Order AmbiX which we produced using the FB360 Suite in Nuendo. When monitoring through the FB360 Control “Decode Binaural”-Function everything sounds normal but on their system it’s a whole different story.

I have uploaded a snippet of the audio in the exact format we have delivered (2OA AmbiX) and a binaural reference mix (Stereo - using the FB HRTF) that showcases how it’s supposed to sound.
If any of you guys could download that, give it a listen/analyse it and see if there’s anything unusual about it, that would help a lot!!

Link to that: https://we.tl/t-qJBpa1Nmwg

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Appendix/Some clues I have already gathered:
- When loading an exported 9-channel AmbiX into Nuendo and using the onboard AmbiDecoder the binauralised output only sounds “right” when choosing the Facebook-HRTF. The standard HRTF produces a sound similar to what their on-site system produces when fed with the AmbiX.
- The company we deliver the files to wasn’t sure wether AmbiX or FuMa would be the best format. One theory was that this could be the reason for the broken sound. I’m not so sure because afaik that would only distort the spatial representation and not the sound. They are currently testing this and I will update this thread once I have news on it.
- I have also posted this question in the FB360 support group on facebook: https://www.*********************audi...320092?sfns=mo

Last edited by lauflicht; 9th October 2019 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Angelos tips on my FB thread were actually very helpful my original post suggested they weren’t

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search