The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixing a non-VR video podcast in Ambisonics?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Mixing a non-VR video podcast in Ambisonics?

I'm working on a project that is made for headphones but needs to be delivered secondarily to 5.1 surround.

I figure my best bet is to mix on headphones natively in Pro Tools to Ambisonics (3rd order?) and then convert later to binaural stereo as well as 5.1 surround. Is there a simple way to do this conversion?

I will be creating all the soundscapes myself with mono and stereo files and panning everything around in the 360 space.

It's basically an immersive podcast but it does have a non-VR video that plays with it, so no there will be no headtracking.

I have access to Spatial Audio Workstation and Waves B360 but not sure which one I prefer. I like the Waves B360 spherical panner. Any caveats I should know about with either?

Has anyone done this workflow before? Am I approaching this correctly?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The main problem i have had on binaural to 2d video is if the video camera pans around a lot, or the video has a lot of cuts, then the sound is coming from the wrong "spot". Nice thing about the spatial audio /facebook plugin is that it has a camera tracker that will pan around the ambisonic field based on the video, rather then doing a lot of audio automation manually in protools to match the video's camera movement. Another thing is the vocal track in most cases shouldn't use the camera tracking, fx work well but its real hard to get multiple vocal voices to sit correctly in the ambisonic without being muffled (ie cheat on vocals and dont worry about it being physically correct as long as it "sounds" correct to your ear).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Well, I have converted FOA recordings to multichannel by using the Rode Soundfield free plugin,

https://www.rode.com/soundfieldplugin

but that is not exactly the same you want to do. In your case you want to master your mix in ambisonics and convert from there.

In my (so far, short) experience, I would do a 5.1 plus a binaural mix, no conversions. Ambisonics translates well to binaural/headphones, after all that´s how people are going to listen to it.
When converted to 5.1, most the 3D immersion gets lost.

I like to use Dear VR Pro, as it has reverbs built in, but at the moment it only outputs to either binaural, ambisonics or 2 ch speakers. However, there´s a new version coming soon at the AES show, that it will allow 5.1 and beyond. Check it out, there´s a 30 day trial:

https://www.dearvr.com/products/dearvr-pro

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search