The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Goodbye Faux CENTER channel
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 
theonlyratatoskr's Avatar
Goodbye Faux CENTER channel

Hey all,
So, this is really freakin' cool tech.

Sony released a TV where the monitor's panel acts as a stereo speaker diaphragm.

This has incredible applications for immersion as you can in theory set up a 360 room with ALL TV's and still have audio localization through their speakers.

No doubt that the frequency response will be far from flat, but it's an awesome step.

-
Product page: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/t...ons/ag9-series
YT video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQMXTApvR4
Old 6 days ago
  #2
Gear Maniac
 

Nice, I'm in the market for something like that.
Old 2 days ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
PatrickFaith's Avatar
 

These "insurface" speakers are crazy cool, its one of those immersive things that is just happening ... people will just expect it 2 years from now. It's also rethinking my idea of immersive, since its almost like a window to a environment. I could especially see this working well for things like basketball game, where a large screen could make it feel like your in a box seat (the new hologram displays are also getting bigger). I have also noticed these insurface displays outperform my high end 5.1 system in all but perfectly streamed content.
Old 1 day ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
(...) I have also noticed these insurface displays outperform my high end 5.1 system in all but perfectly streamed content.
really?! outperformed in terms of what? and what 5.1 system then if i may ask?
Old 1 day ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
PatrickFaith's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
really?! outperformed in terms of what? and what 5.1 system then if i may ask?
i have a calibrated 5.1 nearfield genelec system. When testing in streaming, if it comes through as stereo from the service (so the center channel isnt active) - in that case these surface things fill in that center channel "sound" perfectly. Also btw for a nearfield 5.1 (which is what the netflix and apple are), if i get out of my sweet spot of my 5.1 system these new surface speaker things do a great/better job in less optimal listening positions.

(My 5.1 genelec system is awesome for mixing, just speaking on the distribution side from a consumers perspective, i would never want to mix on a surface speaker)
Old 1 day ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
i have a calibrated 5.1 nearfield genelec system. When testing in streaming, if it comes through as stereo from the service (so the center channel isnt active) - in that case these surface things fill in that center channel "sound" perfectly. Also btw for a nearfield 5.1 (which is what the netflix and apple are), if i get out of my sweet spot of my 5.1 system these new surface speaker things do a great/better job in less optimal listening positions.

(My 5.1 genelec system is awesome for mixing, just speaking on the distribution side from a consumers perspective, i would never want to mix on a surface speaker)
thx! i'd probably upmix stereo to 3.1 but i'm getting your point.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump