The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Immersive was 96kHz
Old 27th June 2019
Here for the gear

Immersive used to be 96kHz.. We've been stuck since CD!

I came across this AES white paper on 96kHz, way back in 1994. We have totally missed the value of modern DAW and audio interface capability, while debating the value of hi-fidelity. Who can argue at this point that 96kHz will become the defacto standard as 5G wireless bandwidth ushers in instant downloads of multi-gigabyte data?

This leads me to the modern question; How have we missed immersive audio this time around? I won't link you, do your own research. Both Sony and Dolby have already developed the experience, it will come.

Last edited by SoundOffHear; 27th June 2019 at 07:25 AM..
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear

a bit off topic ('cause i'm referring to live sound):

'immersive' is becoming a bit bigger in live sound (too) - not dolby or sony are the driving forces, but ambitious bands and manufacturers of sr gear; sampling frequency depends mostly on gear/production environment, no one 'needs' 96k (except for better latency).

so no: immersive got nothing to do with 96khz per se!

[there are countless scientific papers on converters, dsp technology and sampling frequency etc. - and of course lots of heated discussions here on gs...]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search