The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
7.1 surround sound speakers
Old 24th May 2019
Here for the gear

7.1 surround sound speakers

Hi all i am setting up a 7.1 surround sound studio at my office and i am at the speaker selection stage, i will be going with Genlec speakers but my question is can my LCR speakers be bigger than my surrounds ? i am looking at getting 8040 genlec for my LCR and then smaller 8030 for the surrounds.

is this doable or is it advised to keep them all the same ?

thanks
Old 25th May 2019
Gear Addict

Yes, doable. But if you'd like to upgrade to Dolby Atmos in the near future, I would keep them equal sized, cause in Atmos surrounds are Full Range.
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Guru

Is this for work or entertainment purposes?
Old 12th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ613 View Post
Hi all i am setting up a 7.1 surround sound studio at my office and i am at the speaker selection stage, i will be going with Genlec speakers but my question is can my LCR speakers be bigger than my surrounds ? i am looking at getting 8040 genlec for my LCR and then smaller 8030 for the surrounds.

is this doable or is it advised to keep them all the same ?

thanks
Its fine - I mke my living delivering immersicve 3D sound installations - different sized Genelec will be great - use GLM ones though or make sure that you level match them.
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusss View Post
Its fine - I mke my living delivering immersicve 3D sound installations - different sized Genelec will be great - use GLM ones though or make sure that you level match them.
SAM ones, not GLM ones. In some cases, depending on the final purpose, different Genelec models on an immersive setup might not be the wisest decision.
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
SAM ones, not GLM ones. In some cases, depending on the final purpose, different Genelec models on an immersive setup might not be the wisest decision.
Generally the advice is keep all speakers the same. But in reality it's not necessary for surround sound. Jesus even the cinemas and dubstages have different sized mains to surrounds. I do surround sound and much more complicated and bespoke things than 7.1 in 3d audio. I have worked in some of the top 3d audio facilities in the world one of which had atcs genelec and Meyer all in the same 48 channel rig. I have a PhD and masters in spatial audio and have delivered it for every output from film to interactive installation s to museums in the last 16 years. My whole business is 3d audio. It doesn't matter if all your speakers are the same size as long as the front two are and you level and eq match them and I have many a happy client to testify to this. Conversely there's a load of post houses who upmix stereo to 5. 1and all their monitors are the same size but it still sounds like balls.
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

what gusss just mentioned!

i have been involved in surround since the days of quad (!) and mixed on pretty much all sorts and sizes of surround systems - the system i have been using for the longest time (25+ years) is based on 7 identical mains but as long as the front two (or three) speakers are identical, anything goes.

(i seem to prefer coax speakers though...)
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
what gusss just mentioned!

i have been involved in surround since the days of quad (!) and mixed on pretty much all sorts and sizes of surround systems - the system i have been using for the longest time (25+ years) is based on 7 identical mains but as long as the front two (or three) speakers are identical, anything goes.

(i seem to prefer coax speakers though...)
Yeah I'd say a rig of those genelec 8341 or 8351 would be amazing
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Guru

Semi-necro, no?
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

what? this thread? quad? genelec's? me?
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Generally the advice is keep all speakers the same. But in reality it's not necessary for surround sound. Jesus even the cinemas and dubstages have different sized mains to surrounds. I do surround sound and much more complicated and bespoke things than 7.1 in 3d audio. I have worked in some of the top 3d audio facilities in the world one of which had atcs genelec and Meyer all in the same 48 channel rig. I have a PhD and masters in spatial audio and have delivered it for every output from film to interactive installation s to museums in the last 16 years. My whole business is 3d audio. It doesn't matter if all your speakers are the same size as long as the front two are and you level and eq match them and I have many a happy client to testify to this. Conversely there's a load of post houses who upmix stereo to 5. 1and all their monitors are the same size but it still sounds like balls.
With all due respect, I don´t give a **** about your high end curriculum, I just expressed a simple opinion ok? And by the way, let´s have at least the three front speakers the same ok?
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
With all due respect, I don´t give a **** about your high end curriculum, I just expressed a simple opinion ok? And by the way, let´s have at least the three front speakers the same ok?
Actually the centre speaker is often a different size in many surround set ups but anyway...... I was also expressing a simple opinion I was just pointing out that my opinion is based on 16 years of hard work and study and real life experience in 3d audio from which I make my living People reading can make their minds up who to listen to based on their background. Seeing as you "don't give a s***" about how hard people have worked to gain their knowledge or how much they have I do not consider this conversation worth continuing with you.

Last edited by Gusss; 14th February 2020 at 03:15 AM..
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Actually the centre speaker is often a different size in many surround set ups but anyway...... I was also expressing a simple opinion I was just pointing out that my opinion is based on 16 years of hard work and study and real life experience in 3d audio from which I make my living People reading can make their minds up who to listen to based on their background. Seeing as you "don't give a s***" about how hard people have worked to gain their knowledge or how much they have I do not consider this conversation worth continuing with you.
Of course that experience matters, that´s not the point. I just found the details about your expertise a bit arrogant. Even if you have it and I don´t have a reason to doubt about it, a bit of simplicity it´s fine too. But everybody is different in the way expression takes place, so, it´s fine for me not continuing the conversation too. All the best!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear