The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Configurable VR microphone
Old 13th May 2019
Configurable VR microphone

Found out a solution to configure VR A format microphone by setup 4 side address cardioid microphones in a tetrahedron layout.
The microphones came from 2 sets of FSM (Flexible Stereo Microphone) from B9audio.
The microphones can be used as ordinary stereo microphone in XY, ORTF, or popular stereo format.
Old 14th May 2019
This is a sample recording, 4 channels. The order is:
1. FLU, front, left, up
2. FRD, front, right, down
3. BLD, back, left, down
4. BRU, back, right, up
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_N...0AvCjSgk2tL9t6
Comments welcome.
Old 31st May 2019
Did a test recording, found the microphone rig shall be layout with all the capsules on top of the rig.

Last edited by 9sbean; 12th June 2019 at 05:58 AM..
Old 11th June 2019
A short piece of piano quintet. Comments welcome.
Old 22nd June 2019
Lives for gear

I don't think the panning sounds correct, at least on the YouTube video. One of the things I immediately do to test something like this is listening to how things sound when they are on my extreme right or left. In this case, something isn't quite right with the encoding or decoding. At the start & end, when the conductor's voice should be to my left, it's on the right instead.
Old 23rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sbean View Post
A short piece of piano quintet. Comments welcome.
that indeed sounds very strange/'wrong' to me: i'm not talking about levels or the overall soundfield/mix of direct, reflected and ambient sound (which i don't like much either), my critique is about panning: i'm missing a solid center and the pan positions of all instruments seem to be heavily exaggerated - it doesn't 'feel' like an ensemble seated in a more or less traditional way but like instruments randomly positioned in the room, without an anchor in their physical position.

cannot judge whether this due to the mic's or the capsule's arrangement (most likely not), positioning of the mic system, decoding, panning, downmixing, 'mixing' (if there was any at all) or a combination of all; it's somewhat hard (or close to impossible) to track down specific issues without enough context - any more details?
Old 24th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
that indeed sounds very strange/'wrong' to me: i'm not talking about levels or the overall soundfield/mix of direct, reflected and ambient sound (which i don't like much either), my critique is about panning: i'm missing a solid center and the pan positions of all instruments seem to be heavily exaggerated - it doesn't 'feel' like an ensemble seated in a more or less traditional way but like instruments randomly positioned in the room, without an anchor in their physical position.

cannot judge whether this due to the mic's or the capsule's arrangement (most likely not), positioning of the mic system, decoding, panning, downmixing, 'mixing' (if there was any at all) or a combination of all; it's somewhat hard (or close to impossible) to track down specific issues without enough context - any more details?
Will do further trial recording in the future. Want to compare with a fix mount [VR] mic side by side... (Maybe top to down?).
Old 24th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sbean View Post
Will do further trial recording in the future. Want to compare with a fix mount [VR] mic side by side... (Maybe top to down?).

could you share some details about decoding? maybe it's just that what i'm not liking much - if any system to compare, i'd prefer to hear x/y or ortf or the same mic system in a much larger room - in my experience, surround/ambisonic mics to not perform well in smaller rooms and seem to need more air around them; could be just my taste though...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search