The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sound Devices MixPre-6 with Rode NT-SF1
Old 30th March 2019
Here for the gear

Sound Devices MixPre-6 with Rode NT-SF1

I have a Sound Devices MixPre-6 with Rode NT-SF1. Which Ambisonics Mode is the right one for recording?
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
! would start with A-format, then have the Rode Plugin convert it to B format or different. Looks like A>B format converters are tailored to a specific mic, so you'd need the Rode plugin for the best result.
Old 28th May 2019
Here for the gear

I have Sound Devices 788T and Soundfield 350ST and the new Rode SF1.

SF1 outputs A format. This is no problem to record on the 788T but you have no meaningful headphone monitoring. You can listen to each channel at a time, but there is no A format to stereo basic decode. The 788T has B format to stereo decode (dire tho it is). With the SF1 you are flying blind until you can get the A format signal into either the Rode plugin or something like Harpex
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivolino ➡️
I have a Sound Devices MixPre-6 with Rode NT-SF1. Which Ambisonics Mode is the right one for recording?
Record A-Format. Convert with Rode plugin.

Sound Devices just confirmed to me that the internal B Format is tailored to
the Sennheiser Ambeo.
Old 29th January 2021
Gear Head

Hi everyone,
I made a basic test with my new NT-SF1 in a quiet room (mic connected to SoundDevices MixPre 6 II at 66dB cha 1-4 linked, 192kHz 32bit)
Please, look at the following two snapshots: ONE and TWO.
I noticed 3 things:
1. Channels 2 e 4 are paired and calibrated, whilst channels 1 and 3 are completely out of balance in comparison with 2 and 4! (This happens positioning the mic in every direction, so it doesn't depend on the room.)
2. There's a strange pick around 40-50k?
3. When I make a sound (with my voice) the 4 channels “tend” to raise to the same level, that's good, but this also means that capsules have different SNR, that's bad, so that difference between the channels is much more evident in low-noisy ambients, and less evident in noisy ambients. (Not a perfect behaviour IMHO.)

Question is: in Your opinion, my mic is damaged? Or Rode does tolerate this discrepancy in the 4 channels' calibration?

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrjork ➡️
Hi everyone,
I made a basic test with my new NT-SF1 in a quiet room (mic connected to SoundDevices MixPre 6 II at 66dB cha 1-4 linked, 192kHz 32bit)
Please, look at the following two snapshots: ONE and TWO.
I noticed 3 things:
1. Channels 2 e 4 are paired and calibrated, whilst channels 1 and 3 are completely out of balance in comparison with 2 and 4! (This happens positioning the mic in every direction, so it doesn't depend on the room.)
2. There's a strange pick around 40-50k?
3. When I make a sound (with my voice) the 4 channels “tend” to raise to the same level, that's good, but this also means that capsules have different SNR, that's bad, so that difference between the channels is much more evident in low-noisy ambients, and less evident in noisy ambients. (Not a perfect behaviour IMHO.)

Question is: in Your opinion, my mic is damaged? Or Rode does tolerate this discrepancy in the 4 channels' calibration?

Thanks in advance.
I would definitely contact Rode, they have (in my experience) good warranty-service. NT-SF1 is supposed to be a high-quality microphone and you / we should expect tight tolerances.

::
Mads
Old 29th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another option..... https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...31418576875192
Old 29th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones ➡️
Cool! Thanks a lot! Unfortunately I do not know nothing similar here in Italy...
Old 30th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Cool! Thanks a lot! Unfortunately I do not know nothing similar here in Italy...
That looks like more than calibration.

Call Rode to repair, you have a 10 year warranty.

Before you call, put a test meter on your cable assembly.
Or open the XLR ends, and look for a broken wire.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound ➡️
Before you call, put a test meter on your cable assembly.
It's a good point! Thanks. But all test meters I've seen have only the plug for the XLR-side of the cable, not for the female-side of the cable (that's specific from Rode).
Can you tell me a specific test meter for Rode ambisonic cable? Thanks in advance.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound ➡️
That looks like more than calibration.
Ok, it seems that my unit has a real problem, not simply calibration (and I agree, that difference between capsules' SNR isn't usual). I think I'll go for returning my unit for a refund.
Now, returning my unit means that I don't have a mic anymore: here in Europe the NT-SF1 is completely out of stock.
I have 2 possibilities:
1. Waiting a couple of months to buy a new NT-SF1;
2. Buying right now a Sennheiser Ambeo VR Mic.

I heard the Ambeo in a YT video comparison against NT-SF1, and I must say that I prefer the audio quality (especially the low-noise performance) of the Rode.
Anyway Ambeo is made with electret capsules that many people say are much better for outdoor recording (humidity, temperature...) And actually I plan to use the mic mainly for outdoor recordings (night, fog, sun...)

Question is: for my case do you recommend electret (Ambeo), or can I use safely the Rode?

Thanks in advance.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's a good point! Thanks. But all test meters I've seen have only the plug for the XLR-side of the cable, not for the female-side of the cable (that's specific from Rode).
Can you tell me a specific test meter for Rode ambisonic cable? Thanks in advance.
The old fashion way, a VOM, and patience!!

Here is the pinout:

📝 Reply